Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Another-Hiei-Lover
I'm a computer junkie by day and a nurse by night. I need a friend. Someone to talk to in the same field. If serious, PM me. Im at my wits end. Nursing is stressful.

I'm not a nurse, and never will be, but I have worked in various settings where I've done a lot of client/patient care, and will probably continue in the field of crisis work. I understand the long hours, sleep-less nights, not being able to communicate the stress of what you're going through to people in a field not similar to yours, and the stupid amount of paperwork that piles up and gets in the way of you making a difference in someone's life... So yea, if you want to vent, I'm here for you, one gaian to another. smile

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I'm a nurse. I ******** hate most nights, but I think it's just LTC, not nursing, that I hate.
Another-Hiei-Lover
I'm a computer junkie by day and a nurse by night. I need a friend. Someone to talk to in the same field. If serious, PM me. Im at my wits end. Nursing is stressful.

vote in my poll, woman

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/lifestyle-discussion/what-is-the-most-elite-academic-credential-from-this-list/t.94283515_18/#18

Magical Tree

Another-Hiei-Lover
thewaitingtree
My mom's a nurse.

When I lived with her, I would wait up til she got home and let her vent. We'd eat a snack and she'd tell me the ridiculous stuff that happened at work.

You have crazy, self-important patients, stupid, incompetent or slow coworkers (or doctors) and a mountain of paperwork and mindnumbingly dumb tests to take. all the time.

Hope you can find someone to vent to. You can PM me if you like, but all I can do is digitally nod. Sorry!

your post made me cry a little of happiness and sadness. I feel like you really understand. I have my fiancee right now who i constantly vent to. He makes me dinner as I cry at the kitchen table with a bowl of ice cream.

Ice cream cures many ills. (and you're on your feet all day, so you probably already burnt off those calories!)

I hope at least your schedule isn't too hectic. You can stick it out and maybe transfer to another department or another hospital (or other situation... there's visiting nurses, school nurses, nurses in doctor offices, and lots of other places) when the opportunity arises - if you feel you can't continue where you are right now.

I know how you feel. Sometimes I think I want to do healthcare too - because I really do like taking care of people and making them feel better. Try to remember a few little things. I'm sure there's a few thank yous, and at least one smile from a patient. That helps. ^-^

Fashionable Citizen

10,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
Shark Bacon
I'm a nurse. I ******** hate most nights, but I think it's just LTC, not nursing, that I hate.

I def think its LTC but it might be anywhere really, I've only been in LTC (5 years as an aide and 1 year as a nurse). I should switch to a hospital.....I know it

10,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
I'm a medical assistant and a phlebotomist

Borg

Another-Hiei-Lover
xiatara

I currently work in Long Term Care at a State run facility, 90% being geriatric psych.

This thread... *shakes head*...it sounds like you're really getting burned out. I understand a bit about this, I have a good friend who works on the social work side trying to get placements and funding.

I'm sort of out of it this morning...I had a procedure on my back yesterday, and today I have to go to a client site to meet with someone...but she's my ride today. I'll talk with her later and she if she has some thoughts.

From this end, however, I have the impression you're really starting to get burned out. Is there any chance of going to a private facility or changing to a different speciality? Could you and your husband afford a vacation together? Sometimes, even a long weekend somewhere different can make help you get some perspective.

And in case you're not hearing at work, may I tell you thank you for doing what you do? I've dealt with nurses as both patient and professionally, you guys are amazing!

Hang in there! emotion_hug

Borg

Another-Hiei-Lover

I should switch to a hospital.....I know it

I spoke to my friend about your situation. Quote: "She's definitely burned out. She needs to get out now, before she either makes a mistake she regrets, or someone else pins a mistake on her. The longer she stays, the more chance she'll get really hurt. With her qualifications, she should be able to find another job very fast."

She's done LTC before, and has gone through similar kinds of things with her husband (the crying in the ice cream thing...yeah).

Some jobs are just very stressful, and to do them, you need to accept you'll have to move on a little faster than in other positions.
raggedy grrl
I'm sort of out of it this morning...I had a procedure on my back yesterday

What's wrong with your back?

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
It's funny that I'm in healthcare but I hate people.

Fashionable Citizen

10,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
raggedy grrl
Another-Hiei-Lover

I should switch to a hospital.....I know it

I spoke to my friend about your situation. Quote: "She's definitely burned out. She needs to get out now, before she either makes a mistake she regrets, or someone else pins a mistake on her. The longer she stays, the more chance she'll get really hurt. With her qualifications, she should be able to find another job very fast."

She's done LTC before, and has gone through similar kinds of things with her husband (the crying in the ice cream thing...yeah).

Some jobs are just very stressful, and to do them, you need to accept you'll have to move on a little faster than in other positions.

thank you so much for taking the time for me, replying, and even asking someone! emotion_hug I worked at a private facility for about 8 months and its worse than where I'm at currently. I should probably go into a clinic, hospital, or SOMETHING. Its hard to accept that I'm already burned out after a little over a year of bring a nurse, I thought it would take longer than this.
Toki Bird
I'm doing a clinical study in a lab for my lab science certification.
I hate nurses now.
I hope this doesn't become me...
I hear it a lot, but, why do lab scientists and nurses hate each other?

Tipsy Kitten

Zombie Conspiracy
Toki Bird
I'm doing a clinical study in a lab for my lab science certification.
I hate nurses now.
I hope this doesn't become me...
I hear it a lot, but, why do lab scientists and nurses hate each other?

Which side of the battle are you going to be on?

I think it's just the differences in jobs.
Nurses probably think that we have it easy, just get to play with specimens all day long, which MUST be easy, however I spent 2 days trying to figure out what kind of bacteria was causing a 9 year old a kidney infection that was rapidly spreading to her blood.

Lab scientists must think that all nurses do is collect specimens, take vitals, etc. Which I know isn't true, my mom used to be a nurse and damn the things she'd talk about.

I just hate how they just want to gossip and mess with things when we've got s**t to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff