Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is a pretty HUGE coincidence: Girl born with 8 limbs. Click that link to read the actual source and see pictures.
Quote:

A toddler born with eight limbs and believed by some to be the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess Vishnu, is set to undergo a 40-hour operation to remove half of her limbs.

Lakshmi Tatma was born joined to a 'parasitic twin' and will go under the knife at the hands of 30 surgeons to remove two of her useless arms and legs.

The headless 'twin' is joined to Lakshmi at the pelvis and has its own spinal column and kidney.

Without the operation the little girl would never be able to walk or crawl and would be unlikely to live past her early teens, doctors said.

The extraordinary eight-limbed baby was born in a poverty-stricken region of Bihar, India - on the day devoted to the celebration of the four-armed Hindu deity Vishnu.

Her mother Poonam Tatma said she believed her daughter was "a miracle, a reincarnation" of Vishnu.

Dr Sharan Patil, who will be leading the surgery at the country's Narayana Health City, in Bangalore, said: "Fortunately, Lakshmi has one complete body with a near perfect set of organs.

"Her skeletal system involves two bodies which are fused together at the level of the pelvis.

"The operation itself, although presents several challenges, is not the most complex in the world. What is highly unusual in Lakshmi's case is precisely how her bodies are fused, almost mirroring each other."

Parents Poonam Devi and Shambu Das, who earn about 50p a day as casual labourers, were turned away from several hospitals before her plight was taken up by Dr Patil.

The operation is expected to cost about £100,000.

Poonam, who gave birth to Lakshmi on the celebration day of the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity after whom the new born was named, said: "She is a miracle, a special blessing from God. But she is my daughter and she cannot live like this."

Laskhmi is the subject of a Channel 4 documentary as part of the Bodyshocks series.

Now I'm not religious or anything, but that is a pretty big coincidence there. Sorta makes me wanna stop and think about it, what about you?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
idk, its just a conjoined twinn. look at the freaks in the animal world. you will see all sorts of birth defects and things. even children with eyes falling out of the sockets cause of birth defects. its a very interesting thing to research about
The next "god" won't be around till 2150. fyi. Vishnu was just a stellar goddess, meaning that she was based totally on the rotation of the stars. Religion was a spinoff of astronomy. Thousands of years ago, people worshipped the stars, and who would blame them, the stars are an amazing sight. They personified them, and whichever of the 12 zodiac symbols appeared at the time of the summer solstice, they worshipped. The zodiac rotates about every 2150 years, and the zodiac era we are currently in is pices..(spelling?) but yeah. the fish. and what do people put on their cars to worship jesus? fishies. Before pices was the ram, which is why people who followed judaism still sometimes sacrifice rams.... next in line is gemini i believe... surprised go watch zietgiest please.

btw religious people please don't bash me, I am simply stating my beliefs, and I have done plenty of research, zietgiest simply sums it up nicely. I'm sure if I gave you 30 textbooks (including the bible) to read you wouldn't even read one..
Shanna66
idk, its just a conjoined twinn. look at the freaks in the animal world. you will see all sorts of birth defects and things. even children with eyes falling out of the sockets cause of birth defects. its a very interesting thing to research about
Yeah, they are interesting.

To Diskbob: I didn't say I believed it, I just said it was an interesting coincidence. And I've seen that movie.
It's a huge coincidence, no doubt.

But a coincidence, no less.

Try to imagine what effects this would've had a couple of hundred years ago, though. It would've been up there with .. Err, other miracles. Now, I wouldn't know how people are reacting over there, but.. It's not enough to make me religious.
i know what you mean did you ever watch the 911 clips on youtube with all the devil faces in the smoke its kinda ******** creepy
Very interesting, but alas my brain has shut down for the evening... er.. morning? - Bed time.
Thanks for the link tho. I'm gonna bookmark it and send it to a few friends to see what they think.
Cayton
It's a huge coincidence, no doubt.

But a coincidence, no less.

Try to imagine what effects this would've had a couple of hundred years ago, though. It would've been up there with .. Err, other miracles. Now, I wouldn't know how people are reacting over there, but.. It's not enough to make me religious.
A lot of people believe she's the reincarnation of the goddess, including the mother, actually.
if her parents believe that then good for them. Everyone believes in something even if they try to ignore that fact.But yeah that was a coinki-dink.....poor mom omg that had to hurt
1337nubcake-exe
i know what you mean did you ever watch the 911 clips on youtube with all the devil faces in the smoke its kinda ******** creepy
the what? I don't think I've heard of that.
The timing od such an odd birth is indeed interesting, but as others have said it is probably just a coincidence. When you think about how many people live in India and how many Hindu holidays there are, it was bound to happen one day.
That is quite incredible!
It probably was a coincidence but in India it will probably be see quite superstitiously.
Poor kid
Well, there are many strange birth defects. There was even a snake that had two heads in one body. *wait, isn't that normal?*

Nevermind. It's probably just a birth defect that's really messed up.
well it is a very interesting thing and how they belive the child is a recarnation of a god is somthing that really shows how people are with their religion
It's not really a miracle or a coincidence or anything. India has such a high population that it's more likely for things to happen there and get reported about, than it is here. Another thing is they have lower standards of healthcare for pregnant women and newborn children, so things like this probably would happen here but would be dealt with either prior to birth or just after.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff