Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I'M SO PISSED HOLY s**t.

So my school district had the ******** amazing idea of canceling all languages except for...
Spanish.
Our school has around 10? languages.
And no, there's no French, no Latin, nope, no Sign Language either.
Now if this s**t is because "WE HAVE NO MORE MUN-EEEE"
That wouldn't be an issue if they didn't shove money up one school in the districts a**, while going "nope ******** you" to all the other ones.
It's so bad I've ridden in a different bus every day for months, all of which have mold and mildew in plain view and smell when you look up.

So, discuss!

emotion_facepalm ******** stupid s**t you're school/workplace has done.

emotion_donotwant What did or could you do in that situation?

scream Did things end up in the outcome you wanted?

ninja Mac n Cheese.

Tipsy Kitten

I went to a high school that only offered Spanish.
At the time I was upset because my thought was 'why do I need to learn Spanish??' well it's only the most common foreign language in America.
So I went to the JC and took French and my high school had to pay for it and I haven't used it ever since. I wish I would have taken Spanish.

Bloodsucker

When I was in high school we had French and Spanish.
Spanish is going to be the most useful. You most likely will rarely ever use the other languages unless you plan to travel.

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
You do realise that you can go outside of school to learn languages right?

If you sincerely want to learn a language, and your school isn't offering it anymore, it doesn't take much effort (although it will take a bit of money) to find books, computer software, online courses, ect, ect.

My school doesn't offer any Asian languages, but I'm going to attempt to learn Korean or Japanese once I settle on one or the other.

Spanish is quite useful where I am (and I'm not even in Cali or Texas) because so many people speak it, and if you know Spanish, you can understand snippets of italian as well.

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
User Image

This is stupid. Most schools don't actually offer many languages. When I was growing up we didn't even have language class.

User Image

Girl-Crazy Fairy

31,225 Points
  • Team Rina 200
  • Kin Wrangler 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
I think part of what OP is trying to get at is that they're cutting a large amount of academics when there are probably other places (ahemsportsahem) that they could probably be making cuts to save money. And think about everyone who's taking the languages they're cutting, especially those who are really passionate about those classes. A lot of people actually don't have access to language learning materials outside of school other than maybe some online vocab minigames and a basic level library book. A lot of students will be losing a lot of opportunities.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
What? My school only offered Spanish. And it was mandatory to graduate.

Spanish is honestly the most useful if you're planning on staying in the US.

It'll be okay. You can learn other languages online. Or in college.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
My school offered German, French, Spanish and Japanese. They offered Latin when I was in 9th grade but I think they cancelled it. I took Japanese; there were only seven people, including me. It was not easy

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
You'd think schools would start offering Mandarin Chinese with Spanish also. I don't blame you for you getting upset with your school for making that decision, but there are other places to learn a language my friend. Can't rely on public education for everything in life - you can learn and teach yourself plenty of other s**t on your own.

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
Bzzztt

So, discuss!

emotion_facepalm ******** stupid s**t you're school/workplace has done.

emotion_donotwant What did or could you do in that situation?

scream Did things end up in the outcome you wanted?

ninja Mac n Cheese.

Our high school was pretty rad compared to most s**t public school.
I didn't like that the girls' water polo team was cut.
Nothing I could do, it just wasn't popular enough.
meh...

As for language we had German and Spanish, that's it.
I took Spanish for four years and only know how to ask where the bathroom is (clearly the most important thing ever)
If you don't use it ya lose it.

Spoopy Kitten

My school did German, French, Chinese, and Spanish. The funny thing is, the Spanish class was mostly filled with students who already spoke spanish rofl

We had to have two German teachers because it was the most popular. French was the least popular. I took German

Tipsy Phantom

Oh, dumb things your school has done...

Back in high school my friend saved a kid's life, and stopped him from bleeding out in the bathroom. He saved him with the knowledge he gained from the school's nursing program. The principal said he "shouldn't have done anything" because it put the school at risk of "looking bad." Priorities.

Liberal Receiver

My nieces told me that in elementary school a boy was expelled for making a "gun" out of those blue connector fraction thingies.

When we were kids, my brother was suspended because he restrained a bully that was putting a beat-down on another kid.
This was back when suspension was supposed to be something bad, like your parents pushed you to manual hard labor because you inconvenienced them or some s**t. My dad was like "Aight, he can stay home and watch cartoons then. His brother will pick up his homework and drop it off."
Which totally pissed the school off, it was hilarious.

What wasn't hilarious was that my now hubbs couldn't carry his rescue inhaler in school, and had to go to the nurse's station to use it every time before gym. Which lead him to being yelled at by the gym teacher for being late, or the teacher of whatever class just before for having to leave early.
I never ********' understood that. You can't get high from a rescue inhaler. You can give yourself a high enough dose of Ventolin that you can make your heart explode, but I don't know anyone who would want to do that.
Ventolin tastes gross.

Oh, and ******** Macs. ******** you old school, ******** you and your apple products.

EDIT; my school also only offered Spanish and French, as they considered one or the other necessary for living in the US.(I live in NY, not far from the Frenchery of Canadia.)

I was also a little pissed when they put heavier restrictions on the tech club and drama club to curb spending, so they could spend more on sports emotion_donotwant
EDIT'S EDIT; MY old school was known for producing athletes, so most of their funding went to sports. Which I did not, and still do not have a great interest in.
I went to school in England (Oxford). Learning Spanish, French, and Latin was mandatory. Those students who maintained steady grades could elect a fourth language; I chose Russian (I believe the other choices were Mandarin-Chinese and Arabic). It was a good school, but not without its fair share of dumb incidents. For example, students were routinely disciplined (usually detention) for having an incorrectly sized tie knot (they had very exacting uniform standards). Every morning, teachers would inspect our clothing with a tape measure!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff