Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
wahmbulance Warning! Very frustrated goat ahead. wahmbulance

The Semi-Parenting issue is that my 3yo niece wants to play games. But have so little patiente that gets me frustrated.

Here in the house it's just the three of us, me, my brother and our baby girl. My brother just got divorced, the mother of the child moved to another state and i lost my job. Because of this, i babysit my little niece pretty much all day and do the chores around the house. Recently, bro brought her a PS3 which she immediatly became obcessed with.
I brought her a Toy Story game, since it's her favorite movie, and we play it multiplayer. But the problem is, she does not want to do anything, at all. Usually, i do all the quests and she just drop the controller and watches me (even though she demands to play muiltiplayer). And whenever i try to teach her, she grew impatiente and just tilts. Spacing out or just becoming bratty.
It gets me so frustrated. And today, happened again.
I want to teach her to play games on her own, so i can try to put the house in order. But even though she says she wants it, i don't think she do.

i'm aware she wants company, and i don't want the games to babysit her for me. I love this girl like it's my own! I just... Don't know what to do anymore. What could i do to teacher how to play video games?

Aged Girl

Maybe you should let her take more control of the gameplay. Start off doing a quest, then space out and pretend you have no idea what to do next or where to go and that it is imperative for her to find out what to do or else something bad will happen in the game. That way, you're not taking control and she'll use her problem solving skills.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Nurse Kipsie
Maybe you should let her take more control of the gameplay. Start off doing a quest, then space out and pretend you have no idea what to do next or where to go and that it is imperative for her to find out what to do or else something bad will happen in the game. That way, you're not taking control and she'll use her problem solving skills.

I could try that, but she will propably keep throwing balls around or running to a wall. And then, she yells " I can't " and drop the controller. =/
She can be my adorable minion of evil, but she does can be that stuborn at times.

Aged Girl

She seems to get bored often and frustrated often, which is why she quits the game every now and again. Maybe doing one single thing without taking a break isn't best. How long does it take her to get distracted or upset? If it's ten minutes, maybe take a break every ten minutes.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Nurse Kipsie
She seems to get bored often and frustrated often, which is why she quits the game every now and again. Maybe doing one single thing without taking a break isn't best. How long does it take her to get distracted or upset? If it's ten minutes, maybe take a break every ten minutes.

It has to do more with any kind of challenge. Today, i was trying to teach her of how to jump foward, and she couldn't do it. Usually it has to do whenever she have to try something that she does not succeed immediatly. Although, that didn't seem to stop her to play "baby games" in the web. Know, those where you have to change diapers, and give food to a baby. Flash games. (Horrible games.. ._.)
3 years old is way too ******** young to play video games.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Henrika
3 years old is way too ******** young to play video games.

I don't think so. There is a lot of toddlers playing games around. A cousin of mine started playing games since he was 3 too. Even me, i started playing Mario games when i was 4 years old and when i was six, i've beated super metroid. Alone. Took hundred of hours, though, But i did it.
She's 3 years old................

Adorable Fisher

Sounds to me like the game, though for children, is still not age appropriate in the way that its too complex for her. Might I suggest you getting her a Leapster or a Mobigo? Mobigo in particular has a Toy Story 3 game that may be more appropriate for her current skills, and could help her build more skills.

I used to nanny for a 4 year old boy who owned a Leapster, and he was always playing that thing. It looked very age appropriate and would teach him counting skills and other things while featuring his favorite Disney characters like the Lion King.

It does sound like you playing video games for her to watch is good for bonding, though. But these handheld systems for younger children might be a good (and cheap) alternative that could save you hours of frustration.
She's 3. She isn't going to understand complex control schemes or have the dexterity or reactions to play properly. The best you can do is to try and encourage her, maybe refuse to play unless she shows you playing the game herself for a few minutes. Take turns, increasing the time for each go.

You have to be patient. She's a child, not your bromantic manchild gaming interest.

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
MarigoldMari
Sounds to me like the game, though for children, is still not age appropriate in the way that its too complex for her. Might I suggest you getting her a Leapster or a Mobigo? Mobigo in particular has a Toy Story 3 game that may be more appropriate for her current skills, and could help her build more skills.

I used to nanny for a 4 year old boy who owned a Leapster, and he was always playing that thing. It looked very age appropriate and would teach him counting skills and other things while featuring his favorite Disney characters like the Lion King.

It does sound like you playing video games for her to watch is good for bonding, though. But these handheld systems for younger children might be a good (and cheap) alternative that could save you hours of frustration.

That's actually a good advice. Altough i don't know where to buy those in my country, i could try buy her some more simple games. Handhelds... I think i can buy one of those from a friend who just turned into college. Anyways, thanks Mari! That actually helped a lot!

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Whiskey Grey
She's 3. She isn't going to understand complex control schemes or have the dexterity or reactions to play properly. The best you can do is to try and encourage her, maybe refuse to play unless she shows you playing the game herself for a few minutes. Take turns, increasing the time for each go.

You have to be patient. She's a child, not your bromantic manchild gaming interest.

Thanks for the sugestions, and even that reality check.
But labeling me like that it's just rude. We're literally two single men trying to raising a child for the first time!

Consumer

SirPuzzle

this is what i'm thinking.

yeah, 3yos play vidya games, but she's 3. she sounds bored.

try reading to her, get her a toy vacuum so she can sweep along with you when you do cleaning chores, get some play-doh and make things with her, get her some crayons and paper and round-nose scissors, get her stuffed toys out and have a tea party, take her out to a park and let her romp with other kids her age, etc.

you don't have to do the new york crap my friends in the city do where they have playdates and micromanage their toddler's life to the minute. i dont think that crap is healthy anyhow. just give her some more things to do to occupy her time.

a little computer time is okay, but she isn't going to have the focus for this an older kid will.

edit: try her on some different games too. the game might just not be her thing.

Adorable Fisher

The Half-Satyr
MarigoldMari

That's actually a good advice. Altough i don't know where to buy those in my country, i could try buy her some more simple games. Handhelds... I think i can buy one of those from a friend who just turned into college. Anyways, thanks Mari! That actually helped a lot!
You're welcome! Glad to help biggrin

Shirtless Sex Symbol

6,950 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Farmer Franklin
SirPuzzle

this is what i'm thinking.

yeah, 3yos play vidya games, but she's 3. she sounds bored.

try reading to her, get her a toy vacuum so she can sweep along with you when you do cleaning chores, get some play-doh and make things with her, get her some crayons and paper and round-nose scissors, get her stuffed toys out and have a tea party, take her out to a park and let her romp with other kids her age, etc.

you don't have to do the new york crap my friends in the city do where they have playdates and micromanage their toddler's life to the minute. i dont think that crap is healthy anyhow. just give her some more things to do to occupy her time.

a little computer time is okay, but she isn't going to have the focus for this an older kid will.

edit: try her on some different games too. the game might just not be her thing.

The only problem with that, is that I am not able to really play with those things. The table would turn to the same result, except that would be the one to drop everything because it bores me and she would get frustrated.
She usually can't do anything alone. Unlike me, she is a very social creature. While i enjoy quiet times, she enjoys the noise and action.

Yeah, i don't want to micromanage my toddler's life either. I just wanted a guideline that would help me to find a balance.

Computers? Well, she actually a pretty smart kid. She even watches youtube by her self. She even searches what she wants to watch. But yeah, she can't focus too long either. *Sigh*

I'll try different games. Some simpler ones. Problem is, i'll have to do some serious research to get a good game for her with my cash, since i'm unemployed right now. Her father can help with the money, but i'll first try to do things myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff