Swashbuckling Conversationalist

10,400 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
a peaceful revolt

I thought that an Mrs. Degree was an outdated idea. Do people
              still go to school just to get married?

Who the hell goes to school to get married unless they were trying to marry the teacher? neutral (or if you go to school to be a doctor/lawyer - not graphic design)

I think the real question is, why is your teacher a dumbass. Probably doesn't even have a girlfriend if his head is that much under a rock.
your professor sounds like he's stuck in his ways. sure things were once that way but aren't that way now. get educated, get a good paying job because salary jobs won't take anything less than a Bachelors now a days

Rainbow Ladykiller

Getting married doesn't mean you have to stop going to school emotion_eyebrow

Fashionable Shopper

User ImagePeople go to school for all sorts of reasons. If they want to waste their money buying friends and relationships then that's their choice. I guess that's what makes them happy so whatever...

anonumos
Umesono
anonumos
If you're choosing to get married when it will have an impact on you're schooling, you're probably too stupid for school anyways.

Oh yeah because having stereotypes and being ignorant like that makes you such a smart a** cookie. Its totally impossible to have a life and go to school at the same time! stare

Why don't you go spout that sage piece of advice to all the young kids who are busy drinking and partying their way through school...

FYI in case you are one of those kids, you have been a victim of sarcasm my friend.

Oh, well.
My mistake then, marriage most certainly isn't a life changing shift that can very much stall success, if not stunt it all together.
Waiting and making school, and apparently, work the main priorities would be a terrible idea.
Obviously marriage and being responsible for both a husband and a step son comes first, especially when it can wait.

I dunno, while I recognize marriage can be shift, for some people it may not be if they've been living together and involved in each others' lives for so long previously. Why does it have to be an all or nothing decision? Why is work/school seen as counter intuitive to family life? Especially for women, and that in my mind is incredibly sexist. Marriages can be a really supportive force in regards to school and work instead of something that takes away from them. Like I'm sure in this girl's situation her partner understands and is supportive that she will still have a large commitment to school and if both parties are okay with that and recognize the potential drawbacks I see no problem here.
Umesono
anonumos
Umesono
anonumos
If you're choosing to get married when it will have an impact on you're schooling, you're probably too stupid for school anyways.

Oh yeah because having stereotypes and being ignorant like that makes you such a smart a** cookie. Its totally impossible to have a life and go to school at the same time! stare

Why don't you go spout that sage piece of advice to all the young kids who are busy drinking and partying their way through school...

FYI in case you are one of those kids, you have been a victim of sarcasm my friend.

Oh, well.
My mistake then, marriage most certainly isn't a life changing shift that can very much stall success, if not stunt it all together.
Waiting and making school, and apparently, work the main priorities would be a terrible idea.
Obviously marriage and being responsible for both a husband and a step son comes first, especially when it can wait.

I dunno, while I recognize marriage can be shift, for some people it may not be if they've been living together and involved in each others' lives for so long previously. Why does it have to be an all or nothing decision? Why is work/school seen as counter intuitive to family life? Especially for women, and that in my mind is incredibly sexist. Marriages can be a really supportive force in regards to school and work instead of something that takes away from them. Like I'm sure in this girl's situation her partner understands and is supportive that she will still have a large commitment to school and if both parties are okay with that and recognize the potential drawbacks I see no problem here.

Yet, while more often than not, they do the opposite.
Finishing school would be the more responsible thing to do.
anonumos
Umesono
anonumos
Umesono
anonumos

Oh, well.

Okay your opinion is different from fact. If you can offer me some sort of study than I would consider what you're saying. I go to school with a lot of people who are married. Finding time to spend with their families is no different than the time a single person spends trying to hang out with their friends and party. They are different issues, and a married person's issues may be unique in the school setting but saying school and marriage isn't compatible is ridiculous. Do you know how many fellow students and professors I've met personally and there are in the world who have completed their schooling (doctoral level schooling no less!) with a family?! To get a PhD you are going to be in your late 20s-early 30s minimum. Are you telling me it is impossible for those people to get their PhDs while trying to start and raise a family. You are mistaken my friend. If people pursuing PhDs can do it, I have no doubt an undergraduate can do it. It comes down to personal resolve. If someone really wants something than they're going to do it. If they don't, they'll think of all the excuse they can to justify them trying to attain it.

And I especially like your saying about it would be more responsible to finish school first. While I may understand where you're coming from, I resent the fact you are content to pass judgement about people being irresponsible or not from your high horse. You know nothing about how responsible or not this girl is. For all you know, she could have her sh*t together better than you. People need to really stop and think about what they're saying... stare
I took flack for getting married right out of college. The Mrs. Degree comment was thrown about by a few people who don't actually know me. The thing is... I didn't go to college to meet my husband - I met him in high school. And I'm not throwing away my life and career as people seem to think a female marrying young does - *I* am the breadwinner in the family for the moment as my husband is still in school. Given our comparative career paths it is likely that I will remain the higher earner even after he graduates and beings working full time.

Ironically being married in college doesn't have to destroy one's academic ability either - my husband has been married and in college for the last couple of years - his grades have sky-rocketed since the wedding.
Umesono
anonumos
Umesono
anonumos
Umesono
anonumos

Oh, well.

Okay your opinion is different from fact. If you can offer me some sort of study than I would consider what you're saying. I go to school with a lot of people who are married. Finding time to spend with their families is no different than the time a single person spends trying to hang out with their friends and party. They are different issues, and a married person's issues may be unique in the school setting but saying school and marriage isn't compatible is ridiculous. Do you know how many fellow students and professors I've met personally and there are in the world who have completed their schooling (doctoral level schooling no less!) with a family?! To get a PhD you are going to be in your late 20s-early 30s minimum. Are you telling me it is impossible for those people to get their PhDs while trying to start and raise a family. You are mistaken my friend. If people pursuing PhDs can do it, I have no doubt an undergraduate can do it. It comes down to personal resolve. If someone really wants something than they're going to do it. If they don't, they'll think of all the excuse they can to justify them trying to attain it.

And I especially like your saying about it would be more responsible to finish school first. While I may understand where you're coming from, I resent the fact you are content to pass judgement about people being irresponsible or not from your high horse. You know nothing about how responsible or not this girl is. For all you know, she could have her sh*t together better than you. People need to really stop and think about what they're saying... stare

Or maybe you need to stop and remember how often, just from experience, relationships interfere with life.
Especially since this marriage involves the person becoming a parent.
That can cause a lot of stress, and likely will cause a lot of stress.
As if school isn't enough stress as is.
It sounds like they're just rushing into something without truly thinking about it.

anonumos
              Umesono

Why does it sound like I’m rushing? Because we’re not waiting until I graduate?

For my fiancé and I, there is no point in waiting. He’s a few years older than me and is ready to get married and have a real family. He’s already completed all the schooling he needs for his work, so we’re not going to struggle with competing school schedules. As for the financial aspect of school, it’s already covered. I earned a free ride scholarship to a community college, where I’m getting my basics. I’ll be transferring to a local university, where my grandfather taught, to finish my secondary education degree. I’ve been saving up for the ‘big picture’ since I was nine, so I have enough to cover most of, if not all, of the remaining semesters that I’ll need.

We’re both financially stable, but getting married will increase the stability. My fiancé has a remarkable insurance plan. Having all of our vehicles under his plan is cheaper than having my one truck, under mine. The same goes for the rest of the insurances and expenses. Just from the standpoint that we’ll be combining our incomes, decreasing the cost of our insurances, and reliving a lot of financial stress is a good reason to get married. We’re also buying a house together. If we’re buying a house together and living together, why not get married? There’s really no reason not to.

While the financial aspect is great, nothing trumps the love and support we have for one another. My fiancé knows how important school is to me and he completely supports that. Even though we’ll want to expand our family, we both agree I should focus on finishing my bachelor’s and creating a family with my stepson, first. My fiancé and I complete understand the finality of marriage and we are determined to keep our commitments to one another. It’s not just a, “OMG UR HAWT, LET’S GET HITCHED!!!one1” decision. We’ve been dating almost two years and have discussed what we expect from one another.

Also, once I have the title of wife and stepmom, I’ll have much more ‘rights’ when it comes to my future stepson. His mom wouldn’t allow me to pick him up from school, because technically (oh the technicalities), I’m not a relative. However, once I’m officially the stepmom, she can’t take me off the pickup list or threaten to call the police on me (I guess she still can, but it definitely wouldn’t hold up).

Really, I get where you’re coming from, but just because that’s the way it is for the majority, doesn’t mean that’s how it is for everyone. I’m sure there will be stressful times, but honestly, you’re going to have to face stressful situations all throughout life. I think it’s better to have a family to support you when things blow up in your face.

a peaceful revolt

anonumos
              Umesono

For my fiancé and I, there is no point in waiting. He’s a few years older than me and is ready to get married and have a real family. He’s already completed all the schooling he needs for his work, so we’re not going to struggle with competing school schedules. As for the financial aspect of school, it’s already covered. I earned a free ride scholarship to a community college, where I’m getting my basics. I’ll be transferring to a local university, where my grandfather taught, to finish my secondary education degree. I’ve been saving up for the ‘big picture’ since I was nine, so I have enough to cover most of, if not all, of the remaining semesters that I’ll need.

We’re both financially stable, but getting married will increase the stability. My fiancé has a remarkable insurance plan. Having all of our vehicles under his plan is cheaper than having my one truck, under mine. The same goes for the rest of the insurances and expenses. Just from the standpoint that we’ll be combining our incomes, decreasing the cost of our insurances, and reliving a lot of financial stress is a good reason to get married. We’re also buying a house together. If we’re buying a house together and living together, why not get married? There’s really no reason not to.

While the financial aspect is great, nothing trumps the love and support we have for one another. My fiancé knows how important school is to me and he completely supports that. Even though we’ll want to expand our family, we both agree I should focus on finishing my bachelor’s and creating a family with my stepson, first. My fiancé and I complete understand the finality of marriage and we are determined to keep our commitments to one another. It’s not just a, “OMG UR HAWT, LET’S GET HITCHED!!!one1” decision. We’ve been dating almost two years and have discussed what we expect from one another.

Also, once I have the title of wife and stepmom, I’ll have much more ‘rights’ when it comes to my future stepson. His mom wouldn’t allow me to pick him up from school, because technically (oh the technicalities), I’m not a relative. However, once I’m officially the stepmom, she can’t take me off the pickup list or threaten to call the police on me (I guess she still can, but it definitely wouldn’t hold up).

Really, I get where you’re coming from, but just because that’s the way it is for the majority, doesn’t mean that’s how it is for everyone. I’m sure there will be stressful times, but honestly, you’re going to have to face stressful situations all throughout life. I think it’s better to have a family to support you when things blow up in your face.

Good on you! 3nodding
a peaceful revolt

anonumos
              Umesono

Honestly, two years isn't all that long for a relationship.
Are you two living together?
If so, for how long?
Has there been many inconsistencies, or problems in the relationship thus far?

Hygienic Genius

He sounds kinda rude...

I would like to wait until after college to get married. Chances for having a job and a home are higher, and I prefer being able to be independent financially before meeting and tying the knot with my life partner.

anonumos

I think, at this point, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree. No matter what I say, you’re not going to change your opinion, which is fine, because no matter what you say, I’m not going to change mine. I don’t have any doubts that I’m making the right decision for myself and my future family. The people in life that actually know me, agree with and support my fiancé and I’s decision.

I get that some people are against people getting married in college, but just because someone decides to get married while in college doesn't mean they are wrong, or stupid. It’s just a difference of opinions and different lifestyles.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff