Total Votes:[ 68 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Skjolddis
We tried that before, silly.

I love your avi first off... I heard something of the sort.. i didn't think it was for actual mentally handicapped people.
Blueyedancer
Pikkewyn
I don't think anyone should be sterilized without their own consent. But in this case, the consent of their guardian should be enough, if it is a temporal form of sterilization.

But this only if there are no other options.
In the case of that woman, why didn't they give her an IUD, implanon or put her on bc pills?

And for guys, there are hormonal treatments which strongly decrease the desire to have sex, or even interest in it.

The thing is that she obviously isn't responsible enough to take them... she really didn't have anyone watching over her. Though I think bc would be a good idea too...for a guardian to make sure happens (if the guardian/government) thinks they need thm.

I think that treatment is a good idea. For males, i think the hormones are just confusing. They would be okay without it.. with it they are confused, putting themselves at risk and others at risk.
But in her case, her therapist, or guardian, or even doctor, could put her on an IUD or implanon. These things most often last for quite a while (I thought the mirena IUD lasted for 5 years) and you didn't have to take any pills, so nothing to forget! There only has to be someone responsible enough to go with her to her gyn once every five years.

I see! I never looked much into male hormone treatments. I can imagine that it is for a guy going through puberty bad for his development as well.
With surgical sterilisation of males, the cause of the desire to have sex (with children) is not taken away either. It just makes them sterile. This would not protect others from being harmed either.

Anyways, It is midnight here, so I am going to bed now. I might reply in a few days or so.
I completely agree with this. I would think it would be a larger punishment if a mentally handicapped person were to have a child, have no idea how to take care of it, and eventually have it taken from them by Child Protective Services, as if there already aren't enough unwanted children in the world. With the American government continuing their bullshit stance on how gay couples can't adopt mixed with the cost of adoption, these poor kids might never actually have a family. They'll just be bounced around in foster families and whatnot.

It might sound harsh to sterilize the mentally handicapped, but honestly, it's even more harsh to have a child involved in that kind of environment.

Shameless Gawker

Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire
First of all, it is offensive for you to just put 'mentally handicapped' in to a single category. Please fix this.

I apoligize that you got offensive? Its a psychological term...they use it instead of mentally retarded. (I'm not being snippy or mad about what you said).. rather what do you think I should put instead?

You need to specify the illnesses you are talking about... the majority of 'mentally handicapped' people (such as myself) do NOT do those things. The way you put it, it makes it sound like mentally ill people are lower class than humans (ie they don't count as humans). It's extremely offensive.

Apart from that, I disagree with you anyway. Just my opinion.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Pikkewyn
Blueyedancer
Pikkewyn
I don't think anyone should be sterilized without their own consent. But in this case, the consent of their guardian should be enough, if it is a temporal form of sterilization.

But this only if there are no other options.
In the case of that woman, why didn't they give her an IUD, implanon or put her on bc pills?

And for guys, there are hormonal treatments which strongly decrease the desire to have sex, or even interest in it.

The thing is that she obviously isn't responsible enough to take them... she really didn't have anyone watching over her. Though I think bc would be a good idea too...for a guardian to make sure happens (if the guardian/government) thinks they need thm.

I think that treatment is a good idea. For males, i think the hormones are just confusing. They would be okay without it.. with it they are confused, putting themselves at risk and others at risk.
But in her case, her therapist, or guardian, or even doctor, could put her on an IUD or implanon. These things most often last for quite a while (I thought the mirena IUD lasted for 5 years) and you didn't have to take any pills, so nothing to forget! There only has to be someone responsible enough to go with her to her gyn once every five years.

I see! I never looked much into male hormone treatments. I can imagine that it is for a guy going through puberty bad for his development as well.
With surgical sterilisation of males, the cause of the desire to have sex (with children) is not taken away either. It just makes them sterile. This would not protect others from being harmed either.

Anyways, It is midnight here, so I am going to bed now. I might reply in a few days or so.

I agree. if a mentally retarded person is living on their own they need someone to make sure all aspects of their health is taken care of.

I don't think it would be good for his development either..which is a grey subject.. it could aslo be done after he was done with pubrety. And again really good point.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Cool Me With Fire
Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire
First of all, it is offensive for you to just put 'mentally handicapped' in to a single category. Please fix this.

I apoligize that you got offensive? Its a psychological term...they use it instead of mentally retarded. (I'm not being snippy or mad about what you said).. rather what do you think I should put instead?

You need to specify the illnesses you are talking about... the majority of 'mentally handicapped' people (such as myself) do NOT do those things. The way you put it, it makes it sound like mentally ill people are lower class than humans (ie they don't count as humans). It's extremely offensive.

For that I'm truely sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I was trying not to be offensiv to those that don't lik the words mental retardation. I'm talking about mental retardation... not other mental illnessses or handicaps. I don't belive that they're lower class people ... (in which case i'm talking about mentally retarded people).. I just think that sterilization of them (because of the examples i talked about) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Shameless Gawker

Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire
Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire

For that I'm truely sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I was trying not to be offensiv to those that don't lik the words mental retardation. I'm talking about mental retardation... not other mental illnessses or handicaps. I don't belive that they're lower class people ... (in which case i'm talking about mentally retarded people).. I just think that sterilization of them (because of the examples i talked about) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Okay, no worries. I can see you meant nothing by it.
Rampallion Raskolnikov
The Sky Does Not Bow
Rampallion Raskolnikov
Blueyedancer
Rampallion Raskolnikov
YESYESYESYESYES! Sterilize them all! emotion_hug

Ha you seem really for this

Absolutely! There are way too many people in the world as it is, and most of them shouldn't be having children. Sterilization shouldn't only be relegated to the clearly mentally disabled but also extended to anyone who's had a child already and for one reason or another can't properly care for him/her or provide a decent environment to raise him/her in.

How do people think you're smart again?

In real life? I reckon it's something to do with my grades, goals, and standardized testing scores.

Why are you such a humanist?

Quote:
I reckon it's something to do with my grades, goals, and standardized testing scores.

So what Uni are you going to?

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Saffron Bunny
I completely agree with this. I would think it would be a larger punishment if a mentally handicapped person were to have a child, have no idea how to take care of it, and eventually have it taken from them by Child Protective Services, as if there already aren't enough unwanted children in the world. With the American government continuing their bullshit stance on how gay couples can't adopt mixed with the cost of adoption, these poor kids might never actually have a family. They'll just be bounced around in foster families and whatnot.

It might sound harsh to sterilize the mentally handicapped, but honestly, it's even more harsh to have a child involved in that kind of environment.

Exactally what I'm thinking... people with mental retardation usually don't understand that they need to take care of a baby...and that attacking someone is bad.. its better to stop this from happening then to actually have it happen. what does the person with mental retardation miss if they're sterelized? nothing, they don't care... what happens if a kid gets brought up in that life? what if someone gets attacked? obviously more difference between the two.
Blueyedancer
Saffron Bunny

Exactally what I'm thinking... people with mental retardation usually don't understand that they need to take care of a baby...and that attacking someone is bad.. its better to stop this from happening then to actually have it happen. what does the person with mental retardation miss if they're sterelized? nothing, they don't care... what happens if a kid gets brought up in that life? what if someone gets attacked? obviously more difference between the two.

People with downs generally don't have kids so this entire thread is entirely pointless.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
The LDs Juxtaposed
Blueyedancer
Saffron Bunny

People with downs generally don't have kids so this entire thread is entirely pointless.

Obviously they do because I know of people and a few others in this thread know of them.

5,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Cool Me With Fire
Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire
Blueyedancer
Cool Me With Fire

Okay, no worries. I can see you meant nothing by it.

Why do you disagree?
Blueyedancer
The LDs Juxtaposed
Blueyedancer
Saffron Bunny

Obviously they do because I know of people and a few others in this thread know of them.

Anecdotal means nothing however.

So once again, unless you can provide a source saying that over 1% of children born each year are from down syndrome parents your point is moot.
Blueyedancer
Saffron Bunny

Exactly. Besides, there are enough parents who let their children do whatever they want, and the parents don't care or even take good care of them. I don't see how someone who isn't mentally all there can do a better job than someone who is.

Plus, most of the mentally handicapped folks that I've encountered are in the hospital for surgery and recovery constantly. Its not good for the child's mental health if mommy or daddy is always gone. Not to mention that statistically, mentally handicapped people don't live as long. For a child, the death of a parent is devastating and can really affect the child's life for years afterwards. Obviously.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff