Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Phantom

brutal palm tree massacre
so...
anyone on this site never been on any psychiatric medication and never been diagnosed with any psychiatric illness?
or is that just me.
User ImageJust you, I'm afraid.
The internet, and this site in particular, is an amazing place for escapism. Which is what mentally ill people tend to love to do.

Welcoming Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Bornes
User ImageI've been on and off meds a lot. I'm really starting to believe I'll never ever be a normal human being.

I started out on Zoloft, then when that wasn't working well enough, I got on Zoloft & Trozodone, as a teenager. I don't remember dosages but I was on those for at least a year. They didn't help my mood but the helped me function. I was the poster child for depression, any side-effect related to depression, I had it. But probably the worst one was just zoning out completely for hours on end and not really knowing where I was or caring about anything. Meds helped that. But I still felt sad all the time.

Eventually I thought it was stupid so I weened myself against everyone's wishes and lived life "normally" for at least 7 years. However "Normally" still had crippling depression, it was just a lot easier to deal with in comparison to highschool. I never kept a job for more than 3 months because around the 3 month mark, I had to go crazy and go missing from the world for some reason.

Even so I guess I thought that all was normal and I joined the Navy and lied, said I never had depression, blahblah, s**t happened, in the Navy for 3 years. Struggled with it SO HARD but I was trying. I became a really bad alcoholic and s**t got real, always talking to the chaplain. Finally I needed help, couldn't stop crying all the time. They prescribed me Sertraline (Off-brand zoloft, essentially).
It helped. It really did. I didn't go crazy or anything. It made me normal. I was me but I didn't think about killing myself all the time.

Well for one reason or another if I missed a pill one day It was like climbing mt. Everest to make me take the pill the next day. Withdrawal hits me hardcore, and then the whole philosophical thing hits "Why should I take pills to be normal? What's normal? Am I me without pills? What is this s**t?" At some point I managed to get over a 3 or 4 day hump of not taking the pills and I just never took them again.

Now I'm 25 and it's not crippling but I know it's probably going to get there soon if I don't do something about it. I'm in therapy but I hate it. I don't want the pills again even though they helped. I'm willingly making my life harder for myself and I don't know why. I just feel like, if everything in me is saying "Don't take the pills" then maybe the urge is right and I shouldn't?

So... Yeah. Woe is Q.

Tl;dr I've been off and on pills. I'm mentally unstable like bad. I refuse to take the pills even if they work.

Hey fellow brotherbin arms,

I am in the military myself, serving six years and had two deployments under my belt. Just take it one daycat a time and know that you aint alone! Know that you are functioning more than most other people and you are fighting right beside me! Remember, you are in control of your life and you are strong! Don't be afraid of making a change.

I used to drink heavily when i was in europe after my first tour and second tour. blackouts and everything. It just took time and working through it to reduce the tolerance and the will to keep on living. You foght for a cause right? Use that cause to keep you going up! kust one step at a time! You are in control!

Welcoming Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter
I take zoloft for anxiety and depression.
It did work, for about 5 years..but it's no longer working.
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .
emotion_facepalm
Oh, nevermind that your doctor has been doing this kind of thing for years, let's just listen to the ******** label because that's convenient for us.

Your doctor wouldn't have given you the stuff if he didn't think it'd help.

I actually tol him I wantes to try other alternatives before going on any meds. I did alot of grouo therapy and went to a few anger-like management classes to get myself focused again. I also learned that I am alot stronfer when I believed in myself and realize that I am in control of what I think, say, or do. ultimately, it was a choice I made. I also encourage others to take control of their thoughts and turn.it into a good thing.
Ugh, you're acting like people don't try to do that already. What do you think CBT and DBT and all those therapy programs are about? Like I said before, you take meds in conjunction with therapy, not as a replacement for it.
Some things are just biological in nature. We can't help that aspect of our illness.

You can't help the way it plays a toll on your life, but know tjat you can change yourself and take control of your actions. 3nodding

Aged Phantom

THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012

I am in the military myself, serving six years and had two deployments under my belt. Just take it one daycat a time and know that you aint alone! Know that you are functioning more than most other people and you are fighting right beside me! Remember, you are in control of your life and you are strong! Don't be afraid of making a change.

I used to drink heavily when i was in europe after my first tour and second tour. blackouts and everything. It just took time and working through it to reduce the tolerance and the will to keep on living. You foght for a cause right? Use that cause to keep you going up! kust one step at a time! You are in control!
User ImageI was in Japan on a ship that was forward deployed. I managed to keep my problems hidden well enough from my division, so when I tried to kill myself everyone didn't see it coming at all. Nothing worked and I needed out due to various circumstances. After a 7 day suicide watch I was processed out. I'm a civilian as of August this year.
Sorry.
Bornes
so...
anyone on this site never been on any psychiatric medication and never been diagnosed with any psychiatric illness?
or is that just me.
User ImageJust you, I'm afraid.
The internet, and this site in particular, is an amazing place for escapism. Which is what mentally ill people tend to love to do.

sad

Aged Phantom

sad
User ImageI seem 100% normal to strangers, so nothing to worry about when we finally hang out! lol xd

Welcoming Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Bornes
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012

User ImageI was in Japan on a ship that was forward deployed. I managed to keep my problems hidden well enough from my division, so when I tried to kill myself everyone didn't see it coming at all. Nothing worked and I needed out due to various circumstances. After a 7 day suicide watch I was processed out. I'm a civilian as of August this year.
Sorry.

Don't apologize, you served refardless!

I will say this to anyone reading.this thread though:

You aint alone on this and people understand!

You take control of your life and find that reason to live!

Last, what isn't normal is normal and at somepoint in other peoples lives, they too go through hardships. It isxwhat you know and how to use it to your advantage is what will help you better succeed in life!

Tipsy Reveler

OP, do you mean stuff like Ritalin and Adderall? If so, I agree that a lot of kids are diagnosed as ADD or ADHD when in reality, kids just naturally have a lot of energy. Some might legitimately have a problem, but I definitely think it's overdiagnosed.

I am supposed to be on Wellbutrin and Abilify, an antidepressant and an antipsychotic. I function much, much better on them than I do off them. But honestly, my depression was less severe before I was on the meds than I am now that I've been on them and went off them. I'm so messed up right now. But such is life without health insurance.
Bornes

sad
User ImageI seem 100% normal to strangers, so nothing to worry about when we finally hang out! lol xd

nah, i'm not worried about anything like that
a solid 100% of my best friends from about 7th grade onward have all been on psych meds for all kinds of stuff
it's w/e

Shy Gawker

so...
or is that just me.

You aren't alone. 3nodding

Welcoming Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
berbeda94
so...
or is that just me.

emotion_hug

Smitten Wench

10,400 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Generous 100
I've been on Zoloft. Probably should still be on it, cause I genuinely feel like I'm sinking into myself again. Guess I need to get a new therapist. Can't get in with my old one for six months, missed to many appointments. gonk

Shy Gawker

THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
berbeda94
so...
or is that just me.

emotion_hug

I've never been to a psychiatrist or anything. I would never go. I don't like talking to strangers.

Welcoming Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Scarred Secrets
I've been on Zoloft. Probably should still be on it, cause I genuinely feel like I'm sinking into myself again. Guess I need to get a new therapist. Can't get in with my old one for six months, missed to many appointments. gonk

awww! well just know that your in control of your emotions! tell that brain to shut the ******** up and work with ya!

Friendly Conversationalist

9,900 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter
I take zoloft for anxiety and depression.
It did work, for about 5 years..but it's no longer working.
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .
emotion_facepalm
Oh, nevermind that your doctor has been doing this kind of thing for years, let's just listen to the ******** label because that's convenient for us.

Your doctor wouldn't have given you the stuff if he didn't think it'd help.

I actually tol him I wantes to try other alternatives before going on any meds. I did alot of grouo therapy and went to a few anger-like management classes to get myself focused again. I also learned that I am alot stronfer when I believed in myself and realize that I am in control of what I think, say, or do. ultimately, it was a choice I made. I also encourage others to take control of their thoughts and turn.it into a good thing.
Ugh, you're acting like people don't try to do that already. What do you think CBT and DBT and all those therapy programs are about? Like I said before, you take meds in conjunction with therapy, not as a replacement for it.
Some things are just biological in nature. We can't help that aspect of our illness.

You can't help the way it plays a toll on your life, but know tjat you can change yourself and take control of your actions. 3nodding
Alright, I'm starting to think you get it.
I am trying to change myself. Every day. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games