Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200
User Image

User ImageI was on antidepressants for a couple of months when I was fifteen--40mg of Prozac. It relaxed me and helped me mellow out, as I was having extreme anxiety issues.
I came off of it when I moved back in with my mom, since the environment was much better at the time.

I think those drugs are dangerous but sometimes they're necessary, especially if you can't deal with something that's come up in your life.

xe brat prince's Partner

Friendly Conversationalist

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
pluhsauce
I'm on mood-supressants.

Without them, I don't know if I'd be super manic or super depressed.

For a while, I stopped taking them because I was on a manic high, then started back up with a depressive stage hit in. but that's not good for me, so I stopped doing that. emotion_8c
Mood-suppressants? I've never heard of a med that makes you stop feeling things. Sure you're not talking about mood stabilzers? Just want to clarify here.

THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012

I do understand that there are some children with special requirements, but I honestly believe it is the environment.the child is exposed to that influences them. And whoever said I am ******** up? I have been living on my own, functioning really well, and have an awsome career in the military. What has nirmally worked for me, and I know it can work for others, is doing therapy via group talks, anger management, and learning to face your fears.

I did mention military here so some people would think PTSD. I went through a therapy program for a year and it worked out well thankfully. Plus I had great family support to help me through my struggles.

So just bexause you think I am ******** up does not mean that there are pther alternatives that don't work. My point to all this is that medication should be a last resort.

Dude, you act like people want to take meds for this kind of s**t. Do you realize how long it ******** took me to realize that I couldn't fix my problems by myself? That my problem is that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that is fixed through medication?

Medication is used in conjunction with therapy. It is not a replacement for therapy.

No one is making you take meds. Don't try to force people to stop taking meds. Because trust me, some people need medication. It's just how it is. ******** deal with it.

xe brat prince's Partner

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
MemoriesOfGreen

Childhood schizophrenia, for example, can be life threatening if the child begins to act out in a self destructive manner. Do you honestly think medication should be a last resort? Gonna talk down a child out of a psychosis?

You're not educated enough on childhood psychiatric illnesses to say when or where medication should be used as a last resort. In your case, it may have been a bad idea. I don't know. I don't know the whole situation.

What works for one individual may not work for another. If I hadn't gone to meds first, there would have been no point in me going to therapy. Glad you have a supportive family to help you through it.

You wanna talk about facing fears 'n s**t? I do it every ******** day. And it's actually not working anymore. People can kiss my a** and see if I give a s**t come New Year's Eve.
Get it, girl. emotion_brofist

xe brat prince's Partner

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter
I take zoloft for anxiety and depression.
It did work, for about 5 years..but it's no longer working.
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .
emotion_facepalm
Oh, nevermind that your doctor has been doing this kind of thing for years, let's just listen to the ******** label because that's convenient for us.

Your doctor wouldn't have given you the stuff if he didn't think it'd help.

Welcoming Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
MisdreavusPrincess
User Image

User ImageI was on antidepressants for a couple of months when I was fifteen--40mg of Prozac. It relaxed me and helped me mellow out, as I was having extreme anxiety issues.
I came off of it when I moved back in with my mom, since the environment was much better at the time.

I think those drugs are dangerous but sometimes they're necessary, especially if you can't deal with something that's come up in your life.

That is completely true! the environment plays a huge factor to anxiety! Glad you have a supporting.mom.

When I lost my.mom at age 7, I was.taking over 10 types of drugs which in turn made me a.zombie. Ymom was art amd gote a counselor to talk to which eventually.helpese.out in the long run. I also see no problem going to mental health anytime I need to vent or deal with issues either.

Timid Vampire

10,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Streaker 200
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012

That is completely true! the environment plays a huge factor to anxiety! Glad you have a supporting.mom.

When I lost my.mom at age 7, I was.taking over 10 types of drugs which in turn made me a.zombie. Ymom was art amd gote a counselor to talk to which eventually.helpese.out in the long run. I also see no problem going to mental health anytime I need to vent or deal with issues either.

User Image

User ImageMy mom's was a better environment at the time. Later it became worse when she took back her ex, but it remained better than the previous home I was in. Sort of.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your mom D:
I know that feeling, in a sense. It's the most painful thing in the world.
I perfectly understand why anyone would go on some antidepressants to help deal with the grief that comes with it.

I had a psychotic break when I first went to college. They even went as far as to diagnose me as schizoprenic. I was (luckily) given a small dose of antipsychotics to take, but after a year and a half I managed to wean myself off them. What really helped me was my counselor who I've seen through the entire ordeal. We still talk today.

I don't see how people just take those medicines like that. I saw my friends take turns snorting adderall in their dorm and I lost a little respect for them. I don't like the way they make me feel, and the adverse effects are even worse. For people like me anyway. Those medicines aren't really meant to fix anything anyway. Rather they work like suppressants blocking a large flow of Dopamine and/or Serotonin through the brain. In other words, just to keep you under control.

I have a bit of difficulty at times, but I am a lot better than I used to be, even before I got sick. I don't plan on going back to that ever again.

Welcoming Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .
emotion_facepalm
Oh, nevermind that your doctor has been doing this kind of thing for years, let's just listen to the ******** label because that's convenient for us.

I actually tol him I wantes to try other alternatives before going on any meds. I did alot of grouo therapy and went to a few anger-like management classes to get myself focused again. I also learned that I am alot stronfer when I believed in myself and realize that I am in control of what I think, say, or do. ultimately, it was a choice I made. I also encourage others to take control of their thoughts and turn.it into a good thing.

Welcoming Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Kung Fu Brother
I had a psychotic break when I first went to college. They even went as far as to diagnose me as schizoprenic. I was (luckily) given a small dose of antipsychotics to take, but after a year and a half I managed to wean myself off them. What really helped me was my counselor who I've seen through the entire ordeal. We still talk today.

I don't see how people just take those medicines like that. I saw my friends take turns snorting adderall in their dorm and I lost a little respect for them. I don't like the way they make me feel, and the adverse effects are even worse. For people like me anyway. Those medicines aren't really meant to fix anything anyway. Rather they work like suppressants blocking a large flow of Dopamine and/or Serotonin through the brain. In other words, just to keep you under control.

I have a bit of difficulty at times, but I am a lot better than I used to be, even before I got sick. I don't plan on going back to that ever again.

Just remember that you are in control of your mind and emotions 3nodding Don't let it control you and I hope your life is filled woth many blessings!

xe brat prince's Partner

11,250 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Lupina Blackwing
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter

emotion_facepalm

I actually tol him I wantes to try other alternatives before going on any meds. I did alot of grouo therapy and went to a few anger-like management classes to get myself focused again. I also learned that I am alot stronfer when I believed in myself and realize that I am in control of what I think, say, or do. ultimately, it was a choice I made. I also encourage others to take control of their thoughts and turn.it into a good thing.
Ugh, you're acting like people don't try to do that already. What do you think CBT and DBT and all those therapy programs are about? Like I said before, you take meds in conjunction with therapy, not as a replacement for it.
Some things are just biological in nature. We can't help that aspect of our illness.

Welcoming Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
MisdreavusPrincess
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012

User Image

User ImageMy mom's was a better environment at the time. Later it became worse when she took back her ex, but it remained better than the previous home I was in. Sort of.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your mom D:
I know that feeling, in a sense. It's the most painful thing in the world.
I perfectly understand why anyone would go on some antidepressants to help deal with the grief that comes with it.

True and I was young at the time and didn't know how to control my emotions. Now I am older and so I control how I feel.
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Kung Fu Brother

Just remember that you are in control of your mind and emotions 3nodding Don't let it control you and I hope your life is filled woth many blessings!

Thank you for that. It took me forever to realize it but it was all in my head.

I wish the same to you. 3nodding

Welcoming Citizen

10,550 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Kung Fu Brother
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Kung Fu Brother

Thank you for that. It took me forever to realize it but it was all in my head.

I wish the same to you. 3nodding

Don't get me wrong, there are somethings that is hard to control, but sometimes it takes another person's perspective to identify it for you. Hell, other people know me better thab I know myself! good luck bro and take your time!

Loiterer

User ImageI've been on and off meds a lot. I'm really starting to believe I'll never ever be a normal human being.

I started out on Zoloft, then when that wasn't working well enough, I got on Zoloft & Trozodone, as a teenager. I don't remember dosages but I was on those for at least a year. They didn't help my mood but the helped me function. I was the poster child for depression, any side-effect related to depression, I had it. But probably the worst one was just zoning out completely for hours on end and not really knowing where I was or caring about anything. Meds helped that. But I still felt sad all the time.

Eventually I thought it was stupid so I weened myself against everyone's wishes and lived life "normally" for at least 7 years. However "Normally" still had crippling depression, it was just a lot easier to deal with in comparison to highschool. I never kept a job for more than 3 months because around the 3 month mark, I had to go crazy and go missing from the world for some reason.

Even so I guess I thought that all was normal and I joined the Navy and lied, said I never had depression, blahblah, s**t happened, in the Navy for 3 years. Struggled with it SO HARD but I was trying. I became a really bad alcoholic and s**t got real, always talking to the chaplain. Finally I needed help, couldn't stop crying all the time. They prescribed me Sertraline (Off-brand zoloft, essentially).
It helped. It really did. I didn't go crazy or anything. It made me normal. I was me but I didn't think about killing myself all the time.

Well for one reason or another if I missed a pill one day It was like climbing mt. Everest to make me take the pill the next day. Withdrawal hits me hardcore, and then the whole philosophical thing hits "Why should I take pills to be normal? What's normal? Am I me without pills? What is this s**t?" At some point I managed to get over a 3 or 4 day hump of not taking the pills and I just never took them again.

Now I'm 25 and it's not crippling but I know it's probably going to get there soon if I don't do something about it. I'm in therapy but I hate it. I don't want the pills again even though they helped. I'm willingly making my life harder for myself and I don't know why. I just feel like, if everything in me is saying "Don't take the pills" then maybe the urge is right and I shouldn't?

So... Yeah. Woe is Q.

Tl;dr I've been off and on pills. I'm mentally unstable like bad. I refuse to take the pills even if they work.
so...
anyone on this site never been on any psychiatric medication and never been diagnosed with any psychiatric illness?
or is that just me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces