Welcome to Gaia! ::

Welcoming Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Vintage Baby Deer
I have a prescription for an antidepressant now, but I only take it on and off. That's probably bad, but I'm a really forgetful person. That's why I don't do birth control pills.

I can be a forgetful person too, but that is because it doesnt't matter to me lol

Chatty Lunatic

11,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
How about you quit pretending that your personal experience is the reason why kids shouldn't be medicated?

Some kids need those meds. Like children with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Yes. Children can have those disorders.

Just because you like being ******** up doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

13,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jack-pot 100
I'm on mood-supressants.

Without them, I don't know if I'd be super manic or super depressed.

For a while, I stopped taking them because I was on a manic high, then started back up with a depressive stage hit in. but that's not good for me, so I stopped doing that. emotion_8c

Lonely Saint

Been on a ******** of pills for depression, they didn't work, if they worked they made me a zombie a.k.a even if they worked they didn't work. Technically I didn't get a green light from a doctor to leave them, but nobody forced me to take them either.

I'm doing exactly as well/bad without as I did with.

Welcoming Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
MemoriesOfGreen
How about you quit pretending that your personal experience is the reason why kids shouldn't be medicated?

Some kids need those meds. Like children with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Yes. Children can have those disorders.

I do understand that there are some children with special requirements, but I honestly believe it is the environment.the child is exposed to that influences them. And whoever said I am ******** up? I have been living on my own, functioning really well, and have an awsome career in the military. What has nirmally worked for me, and I know it can work for others, is doing therapy via group talks, anger management, and learning to face your fears.

I did mention military here so some people would think PTSD. I went through a therapy program for a year and it worked out well thankfully. Plus I had great family support to help me through my struggles.

So just bexause you think I am ******** up does not mean that there are pther alternatives that don't work. My point to all this is that medication should be a last resort.
Jason0690
I've gone on and off antidepressants many many times.

Welcoming Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Oblivion Blades
Been on a ******** of pills for depression, they didn't work, if they worked they made me a zombie a.k.a even if they worked they didn't work. Technically I didn't get a green light from a doctor to leave them, but nobody forced me to take them either.

I'm doing exactly as well/bad without as I did with.

Would you ever cinsider alternative methods for your symptom?

Beloved Inquisitor

I'm on anti depressants and ADHD medication. I don't need to ADHD meds so I'm probably getting off that soon. The anti depressants will never go away though...

Chatty Lunatic

11,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
MemoriesOfGreen

I do understand that there are some children with special requirements, but I honestly believe it is the environment.the child is exposed to that influences them. And whoever said I am ******** up? I have been living on my own, functioning really well, and have an awsome career in the military. What has nirmally worked for me, and I know it can work for others, is doing therapy via group talks, anger management, and learning to face your fears.

I did mention military here so some people would think PTSD. I went through a therapy program for a year and it worked out well thankfully. Plus I had great family support to help me through my struggles.

So just bexause you think I am ******** up does not mean that there are pther alternatives that don't work. My point to all this is that medication should be a last resort.

Childhood schizophrenia, for example, can be life threatening if the child begins to act out in a self destructive manner. Do you honestly think medication should be a last resort? Gonna talk down a child out of a psychosis?

You're not educated enough on childhood psychiatric illnesses to say when or where medication should be used as a last resort. In your case, it may have been a bad idea. I don't know. I don't know the whole situation.

What works for one individual may not work for another. If I hadn't gone to meds first, there would have been no point in me going to therapy. Glad you have a supportive family to help you through it.

You wanna talk about facing fears 'n s**t? I do it every ******** day. And it's actually not working anymore. People can kiss my a** and see if I give a s**t come New Year's Eve.

Sparkly Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Gender Swap 100
I take zoloft for anxiety and depression.
It did work, for about 5 years..but it's no longer working.
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

Welcoming Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
MemoriesOfGreen
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
MemoriesOfGreen

Childhood schizophrenia, for example, can be life threatening if the child begins to act out in a self destructive manner. Do you honestly think medication should be a last resort? Gonna talk down a child out of a psychosis?

You're not educated enough on childhood psychiatric illnesses to say when or where medication should be used as a last resort. In your case, it may have been a bad idea. I don't know. I don't know the whole situation.

What works for one individual may not work for another. If I hadn't gone to meds first, there would have been no point in me going to therapy. Glad you have a supportive family to help you through it.

You wanna talk about facing fears 'n s**t? I do it every ******** day. And it's actually not working anymore. People can kiss my a** and see if I give a s**t come New Year's Eve.

Are you planning to kill yourself on new years eve? Do you have a plan? I am confused as far as your last sentence there...I am honestly concerned. PM me.if you really want to talk.

Welcoming Citizen

9,900 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Mad Biter
I will be switching to a new antidepressant because I believe that not all medications are bad and that some really do help people.
I do think sometimes people need alternative methods, and that's why medication doesn't work. But there people who do need them to balance out their brain, like me. Without it, I'm more of a zombie. When I'm on it, I feel more alive and happy and healthy.

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .

Sparkly Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Gender Swap 100
THE PUBLIC ENEMY 2012
Mad Biter

hm...I was prescribed an anti deptessant while serving, but i read the label and it said u had to be 25 or okder to take and I was only 23 .

it's not true. It's recommended, but you can be very young and have something severe..which is why they'll prescribe you something with an older age recommendation. They can have risks, but it's worth taking them if you were say, locking yourself in your room and crying every night while cutting yourself and threatening suicide. Which is what i did for years.
I started taking Zoloft at age 12.

Friendly Conversationalist

9,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
Jason0690

About a month to kick in depending on the antidepressant. Some are absorbed and used by the body faster than others. I usually go on them in the beginning of October, so by the end of December/beginning of January when I don't want to exist anymore without them, they've kicked in and I can get through to the end of March, when I get off of them.
yeah, i heard it can take up to a month.

It's good that you've learned how to time it. Seems like the most important part.

Friendly Conversationalist

9,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
oh...i should probably talk about myself, eh?

well, I take mood stabilizers. Still trying to work out exactly what will help, but for now Depakote and Seroquel seem to be helping.

As i have stated in another thread, my moods are much easier to tolerate when I'm on them. It's when I go off them that I wind up in the hospital. The last stay was muuuch longer than anyone should ever have to be in such a place so I'm trying really hard not to end up back there again. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games