Welcome to Gaia! ::

American Military sucks
Cochava
nihilgrim
Yeah no, there is actually a very likely chance you will be sent overseas, even in current conditions. Just think if we get involved with Iran or North Korea. It does not matter on your specialty, when you are assigned to your group, you go with them. Why would they send infantry and have support stay at home? Makes no sense. When I was talking to a recruiter about joining, he said I would likely see at least one tour, probably two. If you have any events planned, good luck. They don't work around you. It makes planning for a family or going to college difficult. They essentially own you.

If you want to help when disasters strike, join the Red Cross.

tried red cross - they didn't need my help.

As someone who volunteers with the Red Cross regularly and on a DAT, I find that hard to believe.

Oh well.

And the reason people are listing the cons instead of pros are because:

1. You already know the pros from a recruiter.
2. Many of those positives are given to you out of context.
3. There are cons you didn't think or care about, so people immediately want to point them out.
4. They want to show you similar alternatives that they feel are better.

You asked for opinions and you got them. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them invalid.

Lunatic

Good luck with that.

Friendly Friend

nihilgrim
Cochava
nihilgrim
Yeah no, there is actually a very likely chance you will be sent overseas, even in current conditions. Just think if we get involved with Iran or North Korea. It does not matter on your specialty, when you are assigned to your group, you go with them. Why would they send infantry and have support stay at home? Makes no sense. When I was talking to a recruiter about joining, he said I would likely see at least one tour, probably two. If you have any events planned, good luck. They don't work around you. It makes planning for a family or going to college difficult. They essentially own you.

If you want to help when disasters strike, join the Red Cross.

tried red cross - they didn't need my help.

As someone who volunteers with the Red Cross regularly and on a DAT, I find that hard to believe.

Oh well.

And the reason people are listing the cons instead of pros are because:

1. You already know the pros from a recruiter.
2. Many of those positives are given to you out of context.
3. There are cons you didn't think or care about, so people immediately want to point them out.
4. They want to show you similar alternatives that they feel are better.

You asked for opinions and you got them. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them invalid.

I wanted opinions - not complete bashing of a military branch. I don't like hearing insulting comments toward any military branch. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but there is a limit to the amount of negative comments I would want to hear.
Also, I have not talked to a recruiter yet - they commonly lie anyway. My uncle is a 27 year veteran of the Navy and after talking with him and hearing his pros and cons about each military division, I have decided to continue with getting a bachelors degree and I will be enlisting with the Navy Reserves after I have completed said degree and probably go on to medical - which they will help me pay for.

Dangerous Seeker

14,400 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Loiterer 100
I've known one person who was in the National Guard, but that was a while back. She had good experiences.

If you're going to do it, just tell your parents you've thought about it and this is your decision. If they object or worry, just listen. Your dad especially...guys do have a belief that their daughters are their little girls forever, and they feel they ought to be able to protect them against harm, and it's pretty hard for them not to feel they have to protect you against LIFE.

Just stay compassionate, and do as you decide to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff