Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Friend

I've always wanted to be a part of a military branch but I honestly have always feared going overseas (don't judge me on that). I want to be able to serve people during natural disasters and other such instances within the United States with some type of medical career while also being with my family at home. I did some research and I feel the National Guard may be my best choice.
Edit*
since everyone is calling me out on this… I know they do go overseas, its just less likely and depending on your specialty is what depends on where you're deployed and for how long… jeeze guys. confused

Discuss:
Have you been or do you know someone in the National Guard?
If you are in the National Guard, how has it affected your life in a good or bad way?
What is your personal opinion on the National Guard in general?
How would you tell your parents you wanted to join the National Guard?

The last question is basically there to give me ideas on how to approach telling my father. I'm his little girl, I just barely got him to be okay with me going into the Firefighter Academy. sweatdrop

*UPDATE… for anyone that wants to know. I have done a lot of talking with a few different people and I believe that I will be joining the navy reserves after getting a bachelors degree in a few years.

Tipsy Codger

My father was NG for a long time. It did put him overseas several times.

Conservative Voter

3,500 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Partygoer 500
National guard does go overseas, some National Guard is in Afghanistan.
Somebody didn't do all their research.

Discuss:
If you are in the National Guard, how has it affected your life in a good or bad way?

Not even kidding, everyone I know that actually wants to go NG or Army is a loser that wants whats easy.
NG would negatively affect my life.
National Guard/Army has a reputation for being easier to join and being lazier than the other branches.
I wouldn't tell my parents I wanted to join the National Guard; I'm signing up for the marines in a few months, and it isn't a big decision for me since most of my family were military in the first place.

Friendly Friend

Capitalist Gynecologist

I never said they didn't go overseas, its just less likely.
Yeeeah National Guard doesn't guarantee not going overseas I have lots of friends that choose this path and 8 out of the 10 are still in Afghanistan O.o

Friendly Friend

Galileo Figaro Magnifico

Yeah i know they do but it more or less depends on your specialty I guess. Like for me, if I were to become a Physician's Assistant, I would only go overseas for 180 days. That's not too bad. It's even less time if I become a full Physician.

Conservative Voter

3,500 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Partygoer 500
Cochava
Capitalist Gynecologist

I updated that post.
And if you want a good medical career, I recommend the Navy.

Friendly Friend

Capitalist Gynecologist
Cochava
Capitalist Gynecologist

I updated that post.

I just like the fact that I can be stationed in my state and live at home, only going to base one weekend a month for training and 2 weeks each year. It will give me the opportunity to still have a job and go to school as well.
My uncle was a Marine and the Navy actually came to him and recruited him to train pilots. Maybe I'll talk to him… I just like the idea of being at home near my family unless I am needed elsewhere.

Tipsy Codger

Cochava
Galileo Figaro Magnifico

Yeah i know they do but it more or less depends on your specialty I guess. Like for me, if I were to become a Physician's Assistant, I would only go overseas for 180 days. That's not too bad. It's even less time if I become a full Physician.

That sounds cool. Dad was in Comm/Nav

Friendly Friend

Arbitrator of Chaos
Yeeeah National Guard doesn't guarantee not going overseas I have lots of friends that choose this path and 8 out of the 10 are still in Afghanistan O.o

I know, aha, I fixed my first post. The National Guard is more focused on the United States though. They are usually sent overseas as assistance for the Army - at least that's what I've read.
I'm talking to a recruiter this week though.
A comment on the Afghanistan thing though… apparently they are pulling out more and more troops as of recent from there so hopefully your friends will be home soon.

Tricky Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Cochava
I've always wanted to be a part of a military branch but I honestly have always feared going overseas (don't judge me on that). I want to be able to serve people during natural disasters and other such instances within the United States with some type of medical career while also being with my family at home. I did some research and I feel the National Guard may be my best choice.

Discuss:

The last question is basically there to give me ideas on how to approach telling my father. I'm his little girl, I just barely got him to be okay with me going into the Firefighter Academy. sweatdrop

NG get deployed just as the "Weekend Warriors" (lol) do.

68W will probably be your MOS. That was mine. Just remember to clear your mind, take a deep breath, and assess the victim.

The Army isn't as fun as people say it is. It's hard, strenuous work that pays very little and the benefits slowly disappear year by year, decade by decade (ask any vet getting VA benefits, they'll tell you). You will see some of your friends deploy and not come back. You will see others that do, missing body parts sometimes, most with scars from shrapnel from IED and mortar attacks.

This s**t will change you. You will not be the same after you go in. You will be a cold-blooded, motivated individual that will complete the task. All your friends playing Xbox all day won't be able to do what you will be able to.

Friendly Friend

Galileo Figaro Magnifico
Cochava
Galileo Figaro Magnifico

Navigation and Communication right? That's pretty awesome. 3nodding

Friendly Friend

chainmailleman
Cochava

Discuss:

NG get deployed just as the "Weekend Warriors" (lol) do.

68W will probably be your MOS. That was mine. Just remember to clear your mind, take a deep breath, and assess the victim.

The Army isn't as fun as people say it is. It's hard, strenuous work that pays very little and the benefits slowly disappear year by year, decade by decade (ask any vet getting VA benefits, they'll tell you). You will see some of your friends deploy and not come back. You will see others that do, missing body parts sometimes, most with scars from shrapnel from IED and mortar attacks.

This s**t will change you. You will not be the same after you go in. You will be a cold-blooded, motivated individual that will complete the task. All your friends playing Xbox all day won't be able to do what you will be able to.

I remember reading something about MOS… not too sure exactly what it is though.
I know it's hard work but it's great to have the experience. I feel like I would have much better training through the National Guard than just going to school.

Conservative Voter

3,500 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Partygoer 500
Cochava
Capitalist Gynecologist
Cochava
Capitalist Gynecologist

I updated that post.

I just like the fact that I can be stationed in my state and live at home, only going to base one weekend a month for training and 2 weeks each year. It will give me the opportunity to still have a job and go to school as well.
My uncle was a Marine and the Navy actually came to him and recruited him to train pilots. Maybe I'll talk to him… I just like the idea of being at home near my family unless I am needed elsewhere.
Just saying, your recruiter is supposed to lie to you. His job is to leave out information as it takes to get you to join. If he says "you're for sure going to stay home", he's lying. Especially now since women ARE allowed to go to combat and the National Guard IS a branch of the Army. Going to work one weekend a month is called reserves, and every military branch has that. Being honest, you're probably going to be deployed or stationed somewhere away from home in every branch of the military especially if you want a medical career, especially since the National Guard is small, meaning you may have to go out of state for your training.

If you want a decent medical career, okay training, and s**t talking NCO's everywhere, join the NG. If you want a medical career, better medical training, better food, and a nicer place to sleep (I'm serious about the food and bed), join the Navy.

Tipsy Codger

Cochava
Galileo Figaro Magnifico
Cochava
Galileo Figaro Magnifico

Navigation and Communication right? That's pretty awesome. 3nodding

Correct. 3nodding
It was fun for him. Save the overseas stuff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff