Welcome to Gaia! ::

1(bad) out of 10(good) how was your sex ed?

1 0.21649484536082 21.6% [ 21 ]
2 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
3 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
4 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
5 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
6 0.10309278350515 10.3% [ 10 ]
7 0.14432989690722 14.4% [ 14 ]
8 0.051546391752577 5.2% [ 5 ]
9 0.030927835051546 3.1% [ 3 ]
10 0.041237113402062 4.1% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 97 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Hellraiser

I had sex Ed in elementary school, probably grade 6 or 7. Which was just about puberty and it was split from girls and boys during one part. Girls learned about periods, the teacher brought in tampons and pads
In grade 8, we learned more about contraception, pregnancy, STD's and all that.
Gr9 was the same, but there were wooden dicks to put condoms on and it was a race for the class, who could put it on the fastest. Kinda fun
Then in I think grade 10, there was a presentation on STD's, it was pretty graphic so I just took my glasses off so I could just listen. emotion_awesome

Also in Bio11, of course. It was more detailed with anatomy for the most part
We were told that condoms couldn't protect against HIV (as in, there was a diagram in the book about how the virus went right through latex) and it could be spread through kissing, and that oral sex was riskier than vaginal--not that we should be doing that for any reason other than to make a baby when we were married. The only mentions of contraception was to say that it is dangerous and should not be used by anyone.

It was called the FACTS program, and it was nothing short of blatantly lying to the students.

Greedy Raider

5,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
I didn't have sex-ed until 6th grade and because I was smart and talked to my parents about this stuff and read all I could about it, I went into it knowing everything already and disregarding all the "facts" the class taught me. Hell, I could have taught the class better than my teacher did.
I don't know how many sex ed classes still do this, but before the teacher who was teaching sex ed at my high school moved, she gave out that assignment wherein you had to take care of a baby doll for a week or so.

I didn't have her as a teacher; I got a coach who basically followed the textbook and harped mostly on the same things that a health class would cover, plus STDs and whatnot. I learned more about sex in Bio when I took it in year 8, and more about genital anatomy when I was in Anatomy/Physiology in year 10. But I was prepared to opt out of taking care of a baby doll because I didn't want that kind of distraction from my schoolwork.

But that's not really here nor there. The teacher who was there before the one I got was apparently a good one concerning the subject; my husband had her and told me stories about the demos she'd use to illustrate points about STDs and things.
And like many schools in the Heartland, "abstinence = 100% effectiveness" program here too. But no real education about sex itself.

Lavish Loiterer

Oh sex ed.

Mine was for the most part, the same as others: how to use condoms, an explanation of puberty and STD's and "abstinence is best." I think was like 14 or 15 when I stopped asking the health teacher and just went straight to planned parenthood. A nice nurse filled in the rest for me.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
fiveamtuesday
Our school had a creepy music teacher who would do that.

Dog Groper
I asked my 5th grade sex ed teacher if she had a p***s.
Best post.

Chieftain Twilight
Your mom told you are made by massive gang bangs in the spring and fall? XD What.

I love how those centers get slammed for showing people how to stay safe.

Petrograd
I would've liked to see a greater range of how different genitals can look for both genders.
I think we learned a bit about fetus growth, but we learned much more in biology/anatomy that same year.
And that is an incredibly good point. I remember a couple girls nervously raising their hands in class (never thought of an anonymous question box until reading this thread) and they nervously asked what a breast cancer lump should feel like. Apparently some girls have natural fatty clumps that you don't notice until you start feeling around, and they were both panicked because they weren't sure if they had cancer.

This Is NoMercy
And the internet is the worst double edged sword. Do you read fanfiction much? A lot of girls, GIRLS; people who should know what a hymen is, describe it like an invisible sheath in their lady bits that a guy practically has to stab through, and that's why sex supposedly hurts and you bleed for the first time.

AzN Dynomite
stare
Actually, a proper study would show that most of those girls are products of sexual educations like yours, but people don't want that study because it would eventually have to involve abortion, which too many people don't want to educate children on.

vincent van poe
I learned about pubic hair during our puberty video. Everyone was shocked and pretty grossed out. I'm still kinda grossed out. Pubes have a gross texture, so does facial hair.

olivebrown
That would be hilarious. What would have been better is if the teacher answered them so candidly that those who wrote the "questions" that crossed the line started squirming. It's stupid, though, to cancel the whole thing because of that.

spacekitten
I think during my school years we had five different programs on abstinence, and even then we watched VIDEOS of performances supporting abstinence. I don't think they realized how curious that made some people.

MarigoldMari
Creepy s**t. Did they leave it at that, or was that enough to make a good enough number of people say "no?"

Athena_flora
That's why there are so many programs to help single mothers and whatnot, and it's why psychos in the government want to destroy those programs; they want to be able to have full control over another person's body, then be able to tell that person to ******** off if they disobey. Wait- was this in your high school or college?

Grace Gubreez
I want to see this. Sounds weird as s**t.

ectogasm
I.
This sounds like the best one, so far. Have you ever seen that thing about the tumblr poster who put a condom on their foot, and people started sharing stories? Long story short; if the guy claims he can't fit into a condom that can hold two liters of soda without breaking, the girl needs to run and run far.

CB_Young
Out. Right. Lies. I'd love it if someone sued that school for supplying false information and the damages were to cover STD treatment.

Dastardly Iron
Your parents are awesome. I was watching the new Elders React: First Moon Party and it was interesting to hear from them about how none of their parents even talked about periods back in the day.

Eizoryu
What the- the baby project doesn't teach you crap about STDs, contraceptives, or anything else. Sounds like a scare method. "If you're not ready for this, no sex."

Shameless Man-Lover

My sex ed was so hetero normative it hurt. Like, we had a boy vs girl debate. What the ********? D:

Our teacher was also so pro-life it hurt. She literally started crying when she had to talk about abortion. Talk about professional.

There was no talk of consent, healthy relationships, homosexual relationships, gender vs sex, etc, etc.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mae Lovelyn
Oh sex ed.

Mine was for the most part, the same as others: how to use condoms, an explanation of puberty and STD's and "abstinence is best." I think was like 14 or 15 when I stopped asking the health teacher and just went straight to planned parenthood. A nice nurse filled in the rest for me.

What's sad is it wasn't weird in my area for me to not know about Planned Parenthood until I looked it up by myself. They legit avoided talking about that.

Wealthy Hoarder

I think I had it pretty good even had the computerized baby's that they made us take home.

Never AGAIN. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN NEVER!!!!

Needless to say at 30 I abstain. Pretty sure it was the ******** computerized newborn baby. If it wan't for the baby...

Maybe I would consider but I DON'T WANT A CHILD AFTER THAT EXPERIENCE!

Edit: For the record...Discovery channel and its baby programs. Childbirth looks rather..painful.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
this rainbow lover
My sex ed was so hetero normative it hurt. Like, we had a boy vs girl debate. What the ********? D:

Our teacher was also so pro-life it hurt. She literally started crying when she had to talk about abortion. Talk about professional.

There was no talk of consent, healthy relationships, homosexual relationships, gender vs sex, etc, etc.

Award for worst person to ever teach a sexual education class.

Shameless Man-Lover

Alexander J Luthor
this rainbow lover

Award for worst person to ever teach a sexual education class.

Right? D: She was /so/ professional.

Lavish Loiterer

Alexander J Luthor
Mae Lovelyn
Oh sex ed.

What's sad is it wasn't weird in my area for me to not know about Planned Parenthood until I looked it up by myself. They legit avoided talking about that.

What's even more sad is that planned parenthood has offered their services to teach a more comprehensive sex ed to public schools FEE OF CHARGE and no one takes them up on it.

Blessed Prophet

Alexander J Luthor

It was high school.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I can't say that I've had a horrible sex-ed class.
The topics were in our 'home-ec' text book, so I read about them months before the actual sex-ed class.
I was twelve back then and in my first year of secondary.
But I knew what sex was and how pregnancy works (simply what it was, not about STD's and cancers and such) from a hand-me-down book my mother gave to me when I was 10 or eleven (I read a lot back then).
When we finally got our sex-ed class, it was given to us by people from the planned parenthood.
We learned about drugs and sex at the same time, they talked about the types of STD's that existed, how to prevent pregnancies and birth control methods.
The superficial stuff.
Went deeper into the topic when I was 18 or so and we had lots of pamphlets sitting around at our library.
But the topic came back in all of my biology books in high school, so you just kept reading about it.
I learned about HPV and the vaccines years later in the news and once I saw my first HPV positive cells during cytology class.

What I don't get is why people don't want to talk about abstinence.
While it isn't the only form of protection against sex, it is a good preventative method.
Because seriously, who's going to get pregnant from willingly not having sex?
And don't even start about rape because I said 'willingly'

Dabbler

Chieftain Twilight
Oooookay. emotion_facepalm I read "maturation" completely incorrectly and wondered where you got that leap in logic from.

It's dumb that boys and girls aren't taught about each other's stuff in general. Just amongst my friends there have been moments of "you know that isn't how that works right..." I get the practical aspect of covering the self first, but by the time ya finish high school you oughtta know something. I think people just gather (sometimes stupid) information from peers and TV. gonk Way to set up these kids' lives. You'll give 'em condoms, but you won't teach them about the sexes in sex ed because... ?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff