Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Hoarder

MsAmyBug

I think that is wonderful news, I am very happy for you!!

Amy Jane emotion_bigheart

Thank you 3nodding

Fashionable Lunatic

ℜinny says: I was in a long distance relationship here on gaia. We mostly talked through msn though. We've been living together for over a year.

and people say they don't work talk2hand

Aged Elder

12,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
I've been in a LDR for the better part of 2 years. We got together when we were in high school, him a senior and me a junior. He was set to graduate a semester early in January cause his father's job recently moved him to central Florida (started in northeastern Illinois) and him, his mom and sister stuck around for him to finish school. We only started dating beginning of November so we didn't have much time together before he moved for good. He was also in Florida for our two week winter break before moving for good January 21st.

We try to see each other every few months. The longest we've gone apart was 9 months. I live close to where the anime con Anime Central happens so he's visited me to go to it 2011 and 2012. I'm also going to see him in 13 days 4laugh

I love this guy and distance or none, I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

/endlurkingstreak

Twas a nice lurking spree :3

Friendly Conversationalist

4,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Kyrimi
MsAmyBug

I think that is wonderful news, I am very happy for you!!

Thank you 3nodding

My Pleasure!

4,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I was here a few days ago, and vented about how relationships take compromise on both sides.. They also take communication, Trust, Support for each other, and a lot of time love and care... If you are in a LDR, You have to be willing to open up, talk about your day, likes, needs, and silly things.... because if you can't let the other person into your life, nothing will progress and you will either fall apart or your heart will push the other person out.. You have to also be patient and understand the person you are with can not be online 24/7... You have to decide if the person is worth it, if he / she makes you happy, and if your willing to fight for that person no matter what.... Because no relationship is with out strife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I adore my Love, He makes me happier then any man ever has, at times he also makes me more upset then any man ever has... I think that is why they say love and hate is a fine line.... We have had many many ups and downs and I was starting to push him out because he was also pushing me away..... (Fear can kill the strongest relationships) My love and I have been best friends since 2007, and We started dating in 2010. It was a very hard transition from friends to well Lovers so to speak... It took us months to figure out where the lines were to be drawn and suddenly we had worries about ourselves and each other, that we never had with each other before.. He had liked me from the start but I was afraid of a LDR since my last one had failed, He is also younger then me by 5 years, and I had a crush on someone else. Since I had no intention of dating him I had also let all my guards down and he Got to Know me as well as my closet friends. I didn't try to win him by playing games and flirting. I was myself.. He from the start said he wanted to date me and chased me the whole time... When I finally said yes and fear stepped in we started having issues.. I moved, thankfully closer to him tho not close enough as I would like... My life was up in the air and still is very unpredictable. Yet he has a very stable life, so finding time to communicate on my part was hard.... I ended up being a real brat to him and then fear took over and I was suddenly reminded of my past failed relationships and I projected them onto him. I was also very emotional, because I am writing book about my medical past. And that also brought up a lot of issues I had not delt with, fears I was reliving... So I ended up Taking advantage he would always be there for me. However we ended up not talking for almost 6 months (Last year) We didn't give up on each other, yet, we weren't talking. I worked through them and we started talking again in Feb, when our game marriage was taken place years before. Since then we have had a lot of fights and argument and a week here or their where we don't talk, But with every fight we grew closer....... Till the holidays came around again and he started backing off again. I wanted him to visit but situations keep coming up where his money has to go to an urgent problem... I started thinking how convenient these were 1 moth before he was to visit every time. I got very mad at him since he was distant and yet again his trip plans were cancelled.... I yelled at him again, of course that just made him become even more distant...... So I decided instead of yelling at him I would be the most supportive I could be and should be. This is the Man I love with all my heart, the man I wanna marry one day after all... Even through all the heck we go through, he is still the only man who can make me smile completely inside and out just by a simple text, call or Skype....

So I wrote him a very loving set of emails, I sent him sweet texts instead of complaining, I lost my temper a few times but not like before. And I made myself clear what I needed from him and what I expected from any man I am to marry. I also reminded him we are not engaged, married, yet, so he has yet complete claim on me and even when he does that doesn't mean he relax and stop trying to make me happy, or flirting with me... Because if he wants attention from me he has to be willing to give his attention as well... I aslo reminded him, when he chooses to be absent in my life I am not lacking in people who want my attention. However it was his attention I preferred. and that I was jealous of the people who got his full attention when he wasn't around.. I know I can't have it all the time, but i missed him..... I also was very clear about what I have to offer as a role of his Girlfriend, how I wanted to walk beside him, work with him when problems arise and be a part of his life, not sit on the sidelines wacthing his life move on with out me.. That I needed him to open up more, even tho he is quiet and reserved, because since we are apart right now I needed him to open up more so I could feel somewhat involved in his Life...

Last week I was 98% gonna break up with him, it was tooo hard because the lack of communication when that is all you have to survive a LDR is too much to loose... And it Hurt to much...... But I held on to that 2% of Hope and I did my best to encourage and be sweet... Do unto others as you wish them to do to you -(No excuse for forcing a person to something like rape people!) It means be kind if you want kindness, open up if you want them to open up to you.. another true quote, you get more with sugar then vinegar! Very true... I remembered how he waited for me to work through my issues last year He deserves the same faith from me... I love this man..........

And it worked... He has been so attentive and sweet back, he has opened up more and he is more like the Man I feel in love with then he has been all year... I am so Happy again... The best Christmas gift I could get is to have the man I feel in love with back....... I think by the time we get together permanently in person we will have most the issues people face in the first year of marriage all worked out, except for the issue of things like combining belongings.. If I had ended it with him, I know I would have a huge piece missing in my heart. We have a bond unlike any I have ever felt, when we don't talk for a while its like I am missing part of myself... He owns my heart... I thought I was in love before but with this man it is 100% different... They say you know that you know that you Know that person is the one when you meet... Well He is my one!! However that doesn't make issues vanish it makes them harder... And with a LDR its a lot harder because you can not be together to sort them out you have to rely on technology and that can be an issue in itself... It takes determination, bravery, and a fighting spirit...

~~~~~~~~
So Don't Give up, try different things see what works best for you, and remember, if He / She is worth it, Don't give up....

Cluttered Witch

MsAmyBug
I was here a few days ago, and vented about how relationships take compromise on both sides.. They also take communication, Trust, Support for each other, and a lot of time love and care... If you are in a LDR, You have to be willing to open up, talk about your day, likes, needs, and silly things.... because if you can't let the other person into your life, nothing will progress and you will either fall apart or your heart will push the other person out.. You have to also be patient and understand the person you are with can not be online 24/7... You have to decide if the person is worth it, if he / she makes you happy, and if your willing to fight for that person no matter what.... Because no relationship is with out strife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I adore my Love, He makes me happier then any man ever has, at times he also makes me more upset then any man ever has... I think that is why they say love and hate is a fine line.... We have had many many ups and downs and I was starting to push him out because he was also pushing me away..... (Fear can kill the strongest relationships) My love and I have been best friends since 2007, and We started dating in 2010. It was a very hard transition from friends to well Lovers so to speak... It took us months to figure out where the lines were to be drawn and suddenly we had worries about ourselves and each other, that we never had with each other before.. He had liked me from the start but I was afraid of a LDR since my last one had failed, He is also younger then me by 5 years, and I had a crush on someone else. Since I had no intention of dating him I had also let all my guards down and he Got to Know me as well as my closet friends. I didn't try to win him by playing games and flirting. I was myself.. He from the start said he wanted to date me and chased me the whole time... When I finally said yes and fear stepped in we started having issues.. I moved, thankfully closer to him tho not close enough as I would like... My life was up in the air and still is very unpredictable. Yet he has a very stable life, so finding time to communicate on my part was hard.... I ended up being a real brat to him and then fear took over and I was suddenly reminded of my past failed relationships and I projected them onto him. I was also very emotional, because I am writing book about my medical past. And that also brought up a lot of issues I had not delt with, fears I was reliving... So I ended up Taking advantage he would always be there for me. However we ended up not talking for almost 6 months (Last year) We didn't give up on each other, yet, we weren't talking. I worked through them and we started talking again in Feb, when our game marriage was taken place years before. Since then we have had a lot of fights and argument and a week here or their where we don't talk, But with every fight we grew closer....... Till the holidays came around again and he started backing off again. I wanted him to visit but situations keep coming up where his money has to go to an urgent problem... I started thinking how convenient these were 1 moth before he was to visit every time. I got very mad at him since he was distant and yet again his trip plans were cancelled.... I yelled at him again, of course that just made him become even more distant...... So I decided instead of yelling at him I would be the most supportive I could be and should be. This is the Man I love with all my heart, the man I wanna marry one day after all... Even through all the heck we go through, he is still the only man who can make me smile completely inside and out just by a simple text, call or Skype....

So I wrote him a very loving set of emails, I sent him sweet texts instead of complaining, I lost my temper a few times but not like before. And I made myself clear what I needed from him and what I expected from any man I am to marry. I also reminded him we are not engaged, married, yet, so he has yet complete claim on me and even when he does that doesn't mean he relax and stop trying to make me happy, or flirting with me... Because if he wants attention from me he has to be willing to give his attention as well... I aslo reminded him, when he chooses to be absent in my life I am not lacking in people who want my attention. However it was his attention I preferred. and that I was jealous of the people who got his full attention when he wasn't around.. I know I can't have it all the time, but i missed him..... I also was very clear about what I have to offer as a role of his Girlfriend, how I wanted to walk beside him, work with him when problems arise and be a part of his life, not sit on the sidelines wacthing his life move on with out me.. That I needed him to open up more, even tho he is quiet and reserved, because since we are apart right now I needed him to open up more so I could feel somewhat involved in his Life...

Last week I was 98% gonna break up with him, it was tooo hard because the lack of communication when that is all you have to survive a LDR is too much to loose... And it Hurt to much...... But I held on to that 2% of Hope and I did my best to encourage and be sweet... Do unto others as you wish them to do to you -(No excuse for forcing a person to something like rape people!) It means be kind if you want kindness, open up if you want them to open up to you.. another true quote, you get more with sugar then vinegar! Very true... I remembered how he waited for me to work through my issues last year He deserves the same faith from me... I love this man..........

And it worked... He has been so attentive and sweet back, he has opened up more and he is more like the Man I feel in love with then he has been all year... I am so Happy again... The best Christmas gift I could get is to have the man I feel in love with back....... I think by the time we get together permanently in person we will have most the issues people face in the first year of marriage all worked out, except for the issue of things like combining belongings.. If I had ended it with him, I know I would have a huge piece missing in my heart. We have a bond unlike any I have ever felt, when we don't talk for a while its like I am missing part of myself... He owns my heart... I thought I was in love before but with this man it is 100% different... They say you know that you know that you Know that person is the one when you meet... Well He is my one!! However that doesn't make issues vanish it makes them harder... And with a LDR its a lot harder because you can not be together to sort them out you have to rely on technology and that can be an issue in itself... It takes determination, bravery, and a fighting spirit...

~~~~~~~~
So Don't Give up, try different things see what works best for you, and remember, if He / She is worth it, Don't give up....

Thank you! This post has been really helpful to me!~
yum_cupcake

4,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
sweetkittycupcake

yum_cupcake

I am so glad... heart

It wasn't easy opening up razz This relationship I am in: has pushed, Pulled, & tested; me in ways I have never been It's made me super jealous, when I have never been jealous.. And it made me face other feelings in new ways too.. . Before I would have walked away from any guy if I knew other girls were after him.. But knowing he wants me only has helped me move past it... Do I trust him? Yes!! 100% I just Know I can.. Tho my brain wants to argue at times. I can hear his love for me in his voice see it in his smiles.. I adore this man...
I'm glad things are going better for you now! Communication in LDRs is very difficult, since often you lose so much of the non-verbal aspect and even with Skype, it's quite limited.

Something that may or may not be relevant: My boyfriend and I were apart for so long that once we were together for an extended period of time, we hit other communication struggles. We pretty much had to re-learn how to communicate with the non-verbal signs since we were so used to just seeing text on a screen but also we missed each other so much that we rarely used things that don't communicate well without tone or body language, like sarcasm. We both tend to be sarcastic so it caused a few hurt feelings before we worked out how to tell the difference by reading tone and BL. If it happens, you'll get through that too. smile
My friend recently convinced me to sign up for an online dating website. I was a bit reluctant at first but I eventually gave in and signed up. After a week of browsing around on the dating website, I got a message from a girl (I'm a guy btw. This is just a mule account) and we've remained in touch ever since. I honestly have no idea how but over the past couple of weeks, we started having feelings for each other. I would make her smile and laugh all the time while she constantly teased me and always left a smile on my face. I know for a fact that I love her for her and she loves me for me; it was as simple as that. Unfortunately, she lives in Indiana while I currently live in California. However, I decided that I am going to meet up with her and fly out to Indiana just to meet her once.

As to what the future holds, it is unclear. I know it'll be hard but I want to be that guy to make her happy because she deserves it. At the same time, I'm unsure on whether it will work out or not. I want to make it work but at the same time, I know it'll be extremely difficult due to lots of reasons. Haha even as I type this, I feel very sad that she's not here with me. . . I miss her a lot.

I accidentally stumbled across this thread and after reading some of the posts, I have to say that everyone here has given me hope. I just want to say thank you to everyone who is in a LDR for being a pillar of hope and strength. It's awesome to know that people are willing to do so much just to be happy. I want to be like that. Once again, thank you so much. :]

NEVER GIVE UP!

I am/was in a long distance relationship. I met him at school, I was a freshman and he was a senior in high school, he had to leave for college and he went far far away (New England to Mexico, 3 hour time different type of far away). It had been over a year since I have seen him but we never gave up. We lived off of skype and oovoo (oovoo is better).

He is home now and I am sitting right next to him. He will be leaving for College on Jan 8th crying so it will be back to long distance.

Long distance can work and I really felt it made the heart grow stronger.

heart heart heart heart heart

Cluttered Witch

MsAmyBug
sweetkittycupcake
yum_cupcake

I am so glad... heart

It wasn't easy opening up razz This relationship I am in: has pushed, Pulled, & tested; me in ways I have never been It's made me super jealous, when I have never been jealous.. And it made me face other feelings in new ways too.. . Before I would have walked away from any guy if I knew other girls were after him.. But knowing he wants me only has helped me move past it... Do I trust him? Yes!! 100% I just Know I can.. Tho my brain wants to argue at times. I can hear his love for me in his voice see it in his smiles.. I adore this man...

Yeah, (I've been kinda lurking here for like the past week and then when I saw what you wrote; I felt compelled to respond; because everyone seems so nice here!), I can see that. and yeah, me and my man literally just started doing long distance. cause we met IRL, same college, met in anime club :3, been together for 10 months, (^//^) but he just graduated... and moved 3 hours away (still the same state though) because where I'm at is a small college town and he has better job prospects over there. and I'm happy for him on that, but I miss him already.. and yes, I can definitely see the jealousy thing, and I feel like you, not normally jealous but can become; but I trust my man. I do, but I still worry (he tells me I worry too much about things. and I probably do... cat_sweatdrop ) And yeah, my head and heart argue all the time too. Love is such a tricky subject for us; because I've never been in love before, and I don't know if thats how I feel about him; I mean I adore and am crazy about him; but love is just something you know, its not a maybe thing. and I fought for this relationship because I don't wanna be with anyone else... but I think that part of him thinks that I feel so strongly because he's my first "serious" boyfriend.... but to me that doesnt matter. >< but yeah, your previous post gave me some strength to move on and to not get so mad at him when he does/says things that annoy me, I'll just confront him next time I talk to him. and it's a little (complicated?) <If that's the right word, because all we have (for now,) is phone calls, because he doesnt have internet and can't do texting. but I don't mind phone calls; (I can still talk your ear off over the phone) and also because he's still mine!
yum_cupcake

4,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
sweetkittycupcake

Yeah, (I've been kinda lurking here for like the past week and then when I saw what you wrote; I felt compelled to respond; because everyone seems so nice here!), I can see that. and yeah, me and my man literally just started doing long distance. cause we met IRL, same college, met in anime club :3, been together for 10 months, (^//^) but he just graduated... and moved 3 hours away (still the same state though) because where I'm at is a small college town and he has better job prospects over there. and I'm happy for him on that, but I miss him already.. and yes, I can definitely see the jealousy thing, and I feel like you, not normally jealous but can become; but I trust my man. I do, but I still worry (he tells me I worry too much about things. and I probably do... cat_sweatdrop ) And yeah, my head and heart argue all the time too. Love is such a tricky subject for us; because I've never been in love before, and I don't know if thats how I feel about him; I mean I adore and am crazy about him; but love is just something you know, its not a maybe thing. and I fought for this relationship because I don't wanna be with anyone else... but I think that part of him thinks that I feel so strongly because he's my first "serious" boyfriend.... but to me that doesnt matter. >< but yeah, your previous post gave me some strength to move on and to not get so mad at him when he does/says things that annoy me, I'll just confront him next time I talk to him. and it's a little (complicated?) <If that's the right word, because all we have (for now,) is phone calls, because he doesnt have internet and can't do texting. but I don't mind phone calls; (I can still talk your ear off over the phone) and also because he's still mine!
yum_cupcake

I am so glad... heart
For me and my love, It's me who can't text him. But I can send his phone messages from my gmail, and he can reply.. He had to send the first message tho so I could add him to my contact list. The only bad thing is sometimes I don't get his messages... Phone calls are nice when they are frequent.... Life has a way of making people busy... I think you should fallow your heart and do your best so you have no regrets... Don't listen to other people... My main fear is how much my love takes us seriously... But only God knows his heart... I'm just gonna enjoy as much time I can with him.... And have faith for a happy ending for us sooner then latter.. I wanna be together with him as soon as possible but he's still working on finding his dreams..

Cluttered Witch

MsAmyBug
I am so glad... heart
For me and my love, It's me who can't text him. But I can send his phone messages from my gmail, and he can reply.. He had to send the first message tho so I could add him to my contact list. The only bad thing is sometimes I don't get his messages... Phone calls are nice when they are frequent.... Life has a way of making people busy... I think you should fallow your heart and do your best so you have no regrets... Don't listen to other people... My main fear is how much my love takes us seriously... But only God knows his heart... I'm just gonna enjoy as much time I can with him.... And have faith for a happy ending for us sooner then latter.. I wanna be together with him as soon as possible but he's still working on finding his dreams..

Oh, that's cool about Gmail, (I didn't know you could do that!) Phone calls are nice! (especially when they start with 'hey baby how are you?' <or similar - those make me smile so much!) and life does do that and it can be a pain; but its worth it. and I will, I was talking to my best friend and she was saying to take things one step at a time. (cause that's all we really can do!), but its in the beginning stages, so we'll see where it goes~ and yeah, peer pressure = not always good. but aw, he seriously cares about you! and yeah, enjoy your time with him~ (that's always important!) and happy endings are lovely! and aww, I hope he find what he's looking for, that way yall can be together even sooner!~ Good luck to the both of you!~
yum_cupcake

Fashionable Vampire

Sorry for not posting so much, but I've been busy with college this past fall. Might as well ask for advice today:

How do you seriously manage being away from your significant other in an LDR? I ask because I only get to see my girlfriend every 4 months and it's just so painful being away from her.

sad

Dapper Gawker

Sifen Yamishi
Sorry for not posting so much, but I've been busy with college this past fall. Might as well ask for advice today:

How do you seriously manage being away from your significant other in an LDR? I ask because I only get to see my girlfriend every 4 months and it's just so painful being away from her.

sad

I live life basically--play video games, watch TV, work, have fun, etc. I also enjoy any type of communication I have with my boyfriend. Yea, we may not be together, but at least we can call each other and Skype. Plus, each day going by is one day closer to living together / visiting each other. We haven't physically been together since June 2010.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff