Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dictionary.com
fate /feɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, fat·ed, fat·ing.
–noun
1. something that unavoidably befalls a person; fortune; lot: It is always his fate to be left behind.
2. the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events; time: Fate decreed that they would never meet again.
3. that which is inevitably predetermined; destiny: Death is our ineluctable fate.
4. a prophetic declaration of what must be: The oracle pronounced their fate.
5. death, destruction, or ruin.
6. the Fates, Classical Mythology. the three goddesses of destiny, known to the Greeks as the Moerae and to the Romans as the Parcae.
–verb (used with object)
7. to predetermine, as by the decree of fate; destine (used in the passive): a person who was fated to be the savior of the country.

Dictionary.com
des·ti·ny /ˈdɛstəni/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[des-tuh-nee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -nies.
1. something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.
2. the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
3. the power or agency that determines the course of events.
4. (initial capital letter) this power personified or represented as a goddess.
5. the Destinies, the Fates.

Wikipedia
Destiny refers to a predetermined course of events. It may be conceived as a predetermined future, whether in general or of an individual. It is a concept based on the belief that there is a fixed natural order to the universe.

Destiny may be envisaged as fore-ordained by the Divine (for example, the Protestant concept of predestination) or by human will (for example, the American concept of Manifest Destiny).

A sense of destiny in its oldest human sense is in the soldier's fatalistic image of the "bullet that has your name on it" or the moment when your number "comes up," or a romance that was "meant to be." The human sense that there must be a hidden purpose in the random lottery governs the selection of Theseus to be among the youths to be sacrificed to the Minotaur. Many Greek legends and tales teach the futility of trying to outmaneuver an inexorable fate that has been correctly predicted.

Destiny may be seen as a fixed sequence of events that is inevitable and unchangeable, or that individuals choose their own destiny by choosing different paths throughout their life.

William Jennings Bryan
Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

I was wondering how many people live life with fate or destiny in mind.

You see, I've always tried my hardest to believe that fate does not exist. I am agnostic, extremely open-minded to everything and I live life always wanting to learn about new things, the different ways of life around the world.

However, it is extremely difficult.

I believe in choice and free will, it is afterall what guides us - every day we make hundreds of different choices.

So I figure - right, so fate can't exist.

But then I think - Chaos Theory?

Wikipedia
In mathematics and physics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that may exhibit dynamics that are highly sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, which manifests itself as an exponential growth of perturbations in the initial conditions, the behavior of chaotic systems appears to be random. This happens even though these systems are deterministic, meaning that their future dynamics are fully defined by their initial conditions, with no random elements involved. This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.

Wikipedia
The butterfly effect is a phrase that encapsulates the more technical notion of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory. Small variations of the initial condition of a nonlinear dynamical system may produce large variations in the long term behavior of the system. So this is sometimes presented as esoteric behavior, but can be exhibited by very simple systems: for example, a ball placed at the crest of a hill might roll into any of several valleys depending on slight differences in initial position.

The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a tornado to appear (or prevent a tornado from appearing). The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale phenomena. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different.

Then I think of things such as my partner - we have been together for two years now and hope to get engaged in 5-6 months. No matter how upset I get, no matter how bad things become, it is like we are permanently attached. I physically and emotionally cannot leave him - Lord knows I've tried. I just need to be with him, it's inevitable.

So, it makes me think of the red string of fate.

Wikipedia
The red string of fate (unmei no akai ito,運命の赤い糸) (also referred to as the red thread of destiny, red thread of fate and by other variants) is an East Asian belief. According to this belief, everyone is connected to another person by an invisible red string that is tied to the ankle or little finger of his or her left hand (though there are other variants on the legend). The two people connected by the red string are said to be the destined lover. It is similar to the Western concept of soulmates or a twin flame.

This all leads me to believe that - because these theories and beliefs even exist in the first place, that we cannot live without fate.

It just seems impossible to escape, as though all of our freedom of choice may mean nothing in the end, if we are on a set path that we cannot see.

It seems that the point of life isn't to try to escape destiny, nor is it to indulge in it - but to enjoy the decisions that we have, regardless of where we end up.

Shirtless Pants

14,100 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I do not believe in destiny and fate. I believe that life was somehow created, (not by god, because I don't believe in god) and now we are all here to suffer through our existance. The meaning of life is to be born, to reproduce, and to die.
I believe if things goes on long enoguh, it's doomed to repeat itself again and again. My theory on time is that it's like a rubber band, goes in circles forever without notice.

-shrugs- not to say we can't change things what happens, but what we change, we'll change again when the time comes.

... but this theory goes on to assuming that time will last so long, it'd take a millenia to even write 1/1000th of the number of centuries.
i believe in fate as well as destiny. i live for both.
My belief in fate is what pulled me through so many years of pain. I was convinced there was something better out there for me; that if I just embraced it, it would come, and I could be happy again.

I'm happier now than I ever have been in my entire life, and I don't have a single doubt in my mind that it's because I'm on the right path. 3nodding
Yay, good for you, Narceu biggrin
I can't find the referencing article, but scientists have come up with an interesting point. According to the quantum theory it is impossible to determine the exact positions and energy levels of a group of atoms. You can determine one or the other but never acurately both.

This defeats the concept of determinism (everything in life is a predictable order of events determined by the starting conditions. Aka fate) because there is no predefined make up. Extrapolating further you can conclude that the universe is not deterministic but probabilistic.

Therefore there is no set fate for the course of a life. There are different probabilities but almost anything can be changed by an altering of your own actions. Theoretically it may even be possible to prevent death permanently with science (which would be centuries of research away and not worth the trouble probably if it is possible).

So I don't believe in a set fate. I determine my own course within the guiding river that is what other people term "fate". Some things are impossible, but for me most isn't.

We have a freedom of will, but I believe there is a absolute destiny that has been predetermined by God. God knows everything that we will do and what we will not do...we are merely pawns in a game of chess.
To be upfront about it, I don't believe in fate or destiny. Because it's so obscure. It's like no matter what step you take and in whatever direction, fate and/or destiny, knew you would do it, even before you did. Such a thing is to say: laughable.

There may be certain coincidence when a clairvoyant or so may predict something that ends up coming true. But to boldly say that EVERYONE walks a laid-out, unavoidable line just for them is sheer fantasy and I will never believe different.

There is only one thing that humans can't avoid and that's death. But I believe that the way one gets to there, is never set out. Because that's basically saying that human portion of the fate equation is nothing but a marionette made for walking the line. That no matter what you do, there is no escaping the mistakes, misfortunes, joyous moments, or any of the like.

How can any human have hope under such conditions? If someone believes in fate and/or destiny and still has hope, they're unsure of what the two words indicate. The most they can hope for is that their "destiny and/or fate" doesn't royally suck. Which is really tragic at best.
I believe in fate and destiny, but at the same time I don't adhere myself to them. I like to think of them as like a giant book somewhere that has all of time recored in them, but its a book that we'll never see, so why should be be worried about it? I just go through life living it how I see fit.
I believe in science wink .

How's it go.. You start out with endless possibilities, and for each choice you make, you narrow it down, until you reach the, err, end. Something like that.

But then again, how am I supposed to prove that everything I do hasn't been predetermined? I could argue that I'm free to.. Jump out of the window, right now, if I want to. I just don't want to. But that doesn't really prove anything..

Ugh, I'm not getting anywhere with this. It'll just lead to endless rambling. ;]

4,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

I highly believe in fate and destiny however I do not believe in a preset fate or destiny. To clarify I believe it exists, I just don't believe that we have no choice in the matter and regardless of what fate has set for us I believe it can be altered.

With that said I completely understand the attachment to the "significant other". And when I say completely I really do mean. I met my boyfriend off a game called WoW and we talked every day for over a year. Last august he decided to fly from Massachusetts to Florida to meet me and once we did I really felt like if he left to go back home that I was going to die physically die. He felt the same and asked me to come back with him so I did. I honestly can't say I didn't see it coming because I do practice tarot cards and throughout my readings I knew that we were supposed to be together and now that we are I haven't been happier. ....No matter how many times he throws his clothes on the floor X_X

Edited for PC
I always believe in fate and destiny...yet it always turns out to be the most painful thing in my life...

Aged Genius

2,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I would like to believe in destiny, cuz it's such a dreamy idea. But to acknowledge destiny is to acknowledge that a god exists. And the only god I believe in is the one that rules my world... which is me.

Life isn't a pre-programmed video game. You can do whatever you want. At any moment, you could run away or change your path. When I go walking on the beaten path in the woods, I can change direction at any time... I can climb any tree or do whatever I want. Is it pre-determined? Well, there's the crux, is that if you THINK it's pre-determined then you had no choice and are helpless. But if you think that YOU are in charge of your destiny, then you are more active in making decisions about your future.

Are you going to let your future happen to you, or are you going to take control of your own destiny?

550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
this is crazy all crazy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas