Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Flatterer

7,800 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Arch3ngel
You can try, the job market's not that great over here either, but if you try hard enough you can always find SOMETHING and then just dangle on that something while looking for a better opportunity.

I've been looking at a few places, here and down there. I've applied at one of the Cash Stores/Money Marts and at a few Hotels to work as a chambermaid, which I don't mind doing. I have a few friends scattered across the states that could help me if I really needed it.

Fashionable Flatterer

7,800 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
verenicruz the frosted
The Pink Sin
verenicruz the frosted
The Pink Sin
verenicruz the frosted

Bolding one word isn't going to convince me that you are making a point. I really don't want a temp job, half the time they don't go anywhere. And temporary at a fast food joint isn't really something that I want to do. I'd rather slave away as a launderer than that.
dont you go to college?
No, do you think I'd move when I was in the middle of completing a course specifically at one of the colleges here? Not really. I can't afford college/university right now, unless I get a scholarship, and the courses I need/want to take aren't available until next fall.
idk how it works in canada but students loans are giving in huge amounts to people with no money.

Bahaha, yeah, no. It took my best friend almost the entire year to get her student loan. First four times they screwed it up on their end, and then once more, they denied it, it wasn't until she reapplied with the help of the administrators of the school (it's an Art College) they approved it.

Rainbow Dog

The Pink Sin
Arch3ngel
You can try, the job market's not that great over here either, but if you try hard enough you can always find SOMETHING and then just dangle on that something while looking for a better opportunity.

I've been looking at a few places, here and down there. I've applied at one of the Cash Stores/Money Marts and at a few Hotels to work as a chambermaid, which I don't mind doing. I have a few friends scattered across the states that could help me if I really needed it.
I've done housekeeping in a hotel, there's the occasional crazy mess of course but it's not too bad and you can get tips. I once got a nice crisp $20 for a room that was barely touched.

If you like animals at all, you can look into any shelters or boarding kennels looking for animal attendants, it's a good, fun entry level job that usual just requires experience taking care of animals and knowing how to clean.

I used craigslist a lot for job hunting and it was really helpful, they've got sites for Canada as well it seems, if you haven't already been browsing it.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Fashionable Flatterer

7,800 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Arch3ngel
The Pink Sin
Arch3ngel

I've done housekeeping in a hotel, there's the occasional crazy mess of course but it's not too bad and you can get tips. I once got a nice crisp $20 for a room that was barely touched.

If you like animals at all, you can look into any shelters or boarding kennels looking for animal attendants, it's a good, fun entry level job that usual just requires experience taking care of animals and knowing how to clean.

I used craigslist a lot for job hunting and it was really helpful, they've got sites for Canada as well it seems, if you haven't already been browsing it.

Thank you :3 I can always go through craigslist, it surprisingly can be good for finding jobs. I never thought of kennels, most are fairly out of my general area, but, it wouldn't hurt.

Fashionable Flatterer

7,800 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
verenicruz the frosted
The Pink Sin
verenicruz the frosted
The Pink Sin
verenicruz the frosted
dont you go to college?
No, do you think I'd move when I was in the middle of completing a course specifically at one of the colleges here? Not really. I can't afford college/university right now, unless I get a scholarship, and the courses I need/want to take aren't available until next fall.
idk how it works in canada but students loans are giving in huge amounts to people with no money.

Bahaha, yeah, no. It took my best friend almost the entire year to get her student loan. First four times they screwed it up on their end, and then once more, they denied it, it wasn't until she reapplied with the help of the administrators of the school (it's an Art College) they approved it.
isnt it better to try then not to?

I could, yes, but for the courses I want, they don't consider them useful enough. So, if I waste my time joining the classes and not get the loan, I have to pay the school for the course/time spent in the school instead of taking it from the loan. And before you ask, I would be taking the creative writing, Lit, Novel writing courses offered at the College here.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

I think you should stay in Canada. The States aren't in a stable situation right now.
The U.S is just as worse off in the job market. What was your old job? Even here I don't find it that difficult to land a job despite having really only 2 retail job experiences and one in a restaurant. I guess it doesn't hurt to be amazingly handsome either but I doubt that played a major role in my employer's decisions. It could just be the timing when you apply for jobs. People don't usually hire (in the retail world anyway) until a little before summer begins and right before the holidays. January- March you would be hard pressed to find a job in any retail store.

Fashionable Flatterer

7,800 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Kyotogero
The U.S is just as worse off in the job market. What was your old job? Even here I don't find it that difficult to land a job despite having really only 2 retail job experiences and one in a restaurant. I guess it doesn't hurt to be amazingly handsome either but I doubt that played a major role in my employer's decisions. It could just be the timing when you apply for jobs. People don't usually hire (in the retail world anyway) until a little before summer begins and right before the holidays. January- March you would be hard pressed to find a job in any retail store.

I work in retail currently, so I understand that. I currently work at Zellers until it closes down for essentially two years to reopen as a Target. They bought 220 stores, but not the employees, and there is a major chance they wont hire us back on when we apply when the new store opens.

Fashionable Genius

have you thought about moving to another province?

i happen to work at walmart, and because of the whole, zellers closing, target opening thing, walmart is (not publicly) trying to snap up the people that used to work at zellers, so that they don't go to target when it opens.

it helps to hire people who have retail experience. in our area, we are opening 3 new walmarts in the next 2 years. i know retail isn't the most fun, but, maybe it's worth considering?

oh, edit: i live in ontario. sorry about that.

Fashionable Shopper

Arch3ngel
The Pink Sin
Arch3ngel

User ImageI thought about cleaning house but it didn't go over well and then I moved in with my boyfriend. I tried applying to local hotel here but they didn't hire me. I wish there were more around then I would clean rooms. Sounds like it wouldn't be much different than cleaning the house...

OP, jobs here are not plenty. I've been trying to find a job for 3 years. I don't know if I just suck or if its also the economy- probably a mix of both coupled with the fact I live in a tiny town and most people commute to the city. I'd say keep trying because things really aren't that much better here. It would suck to move and then get nothing.

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

Dolce Rogue
I think you should stay in Canada. The States aren't in a stable situation right now.
I agree because OP is likely to have a McJob if she comes to America. And having a McJob does NOT pay the bills as well as CEOs will have you think.
Canada is strictly better because at least if you get sick or injured you won't have mountains of debt if you are uninsured (like in America).

In a relationship with PoshuI

We don't have any jobs here either. Don't come here. x_x I'm watching my stepdad struggle to find a job and he has tons of experience and a college degree plus extra classes taken throughout adult life under his belt.

Plus don't you guys get government provided health care? Remember that we don't have that in the US. My mom is about to be out of insurance because her work doesn't have to provide it and her boss just became old enough for medicare.

Greedy Giver

ok, listen to me very carefully, DO NOT MOVE TO AMERICA

Dapper Dabbler

I would see this as an opportunity to travel haha. I recently had something like this happen but probably not as serious as you (I just finished first year and moved to a completely different city than my hometown).

I would say, yeah, why the hell not? Don't be rooted by work!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff