Welcome to Gaia! ::

So yea, I've been playing Rock band for a few weeks now, and can play on the Hard difficulty level and a little expert on the drums. Well Today I went to Best buy and saw an electric drum kit set up. I sat down and started playing the rythm variations I had memorized from different songs. What surprised me is I got a few compliments.

Do you guys think its possible to become an decent drummer from learning how to play expert on Rock band?

I'll also include an article =3
http://videogames.suite101.com/article.cfm/learning_drums_through_rock_band

EDIT: Please, your opinions are groundless and pointless if you have not played Rockband drums on expert and used the rhythm trainer.
It's the same general idea, just a lot harder and with more stuff to smack.
Schlauch
It's the same general idea, just a lot harder and with more stuff to smack.
Ill agree, I had more fun with cymbals and two base drums =3
I can see how playing Rock band could really help you playing Drums. It's the one instrument that's incredibly close to the real thing.
My husband plays the drums and he says rock band's nothing like the real thing.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

I suck at the drums haha, but i think it's similar to the real drums.
Simple answer: no.

Complex answer: You're going to have to learn how to count, how to practice snare drum rudiments, how to hold your sticks properly, and how to get the most out of acoustic drum heads.
NO NO NO NO NO NO. scream

HITTING s**t ISN'T EXACTLY THE IDEA OF PLAYING DRUMS.

ROCK BAND =/= REAL THING

ROCK BAND IS FOR LOSERS THAT NEED TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PLAY A DAMN INSTRUMENT.
That's like learning the guitar by playing Guitar Hero. Not going to help you at all.
i have no identity
ROCK BAND IS FOR LOSERS THAT NEED TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PLAY A DAMN INSTRUMENT. people who want to have fun.

★
Fixed this for you. wink

I just got Rock Band recently too, and have adopted the drums as my favorite. I think the only thing Rock Band drums can teach you is how to hold the sticks, getting used to the foot pedal, and really basic stuff like that. I'm sure that actual drums are far more complicated.

I'm trying to find a mute mod for my drums. I've got foam on the end of the sticks but that doesn't cut down the noise as much as I'd like.
Workplace Boredom

Complex answer: You're going to have to learn how to count, how to practice snare drum rudiments, how to hold your sticks properly, and how to get the most out of acoustic drum heads.

You're also going to have to learn how polyrhythms work and how to perform good fills.
Ex Pwnstar
i have no identity
ROCK BAND IS FOR LOSERS THAT NEED TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PLAY A DAMN INSTRUMENT. people who want to have fun.

★
Fixed this for you. wink

I just got Rock Band recently too, and have adopted the drums as my favorite. I think the only thing Rock Band drums can teach you is how to hold the sticks, getting used to the foot pedal, and really basic stuff like that. I'm sure that actual drums are far more complicated.

I'm trying to find a mute mod for my drums. I've got foam on the end of the sticks but that doesn't cut down the noise as much as I'd like.

Depends on who you're talking to.

Even then, it doesn't teach you how to hold the sticks properly. Getting a stick in your hand with the death grip doesn't do you much good if you want to go play drums.

There's some really good pads for the drums, actually. Pricey, though you could probably find something more effective around the house for a fraction of the price. It's just a matter of if the drums are as responsive.
Abstract Nonsense
Workplace Boredom

You're also going to have to learn how polyrhythms and how to perform good fills.
This too.

I'm still trying to learn how to play all the rudiments myself. I really should advance my drumming education a little further, but I can't exactly do that without a drum kit somewhere to practice on.
Abstract Nonsense
Workplace Boredom

You're also going to have to learn how polyrhythms work and how to perform good fills.
Rudiments and differences based on what part of the drum/cymbal you're hitting and how hard you are hitting it.
British Tourettes
My husband plays the drums and he says rock band's nothing like the real thing.

totally agree.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces