Video monitor 0.043478260869565 4.3% [ 3 ]
Other (please share!) 0.14492753623188 14.5% [ 10 ]
...gold.... 0.3768115942029 37.7% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
This poll closed on July 9, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.

Frau Holda
Sammiifayse

He may not be crawling yet, but he covers a fair distance sliding around on his belly. He's close to crawling, so he makes a little progress, or make a lot of progress going backwards. He gets into my knitting projects, into the cables under the computer desk (on the OTHER SIDE of the living room), into cables near the TV, pulls things off the coffee table. And all of this is done from his hands and knees. I don't want to think about once he's running around!

Yep, you're screwed. They ALWAYS find your drink that one time you leave it somewhere unwise....ALWAYS. We hadn't had a coffee table in years because it's just something to climb on/fall into/stand on.

My coffee table has been pushed up in front of the arm chair & end of the couch we don't use ('cause there's only the 2 of us here) for months, it's currently blocking Emmett from getting into our lego collection (we have the whole fire series built up and displayed, being firefighters/Lego lovers and what not). Once we get the play pen. I'll probably use it to block off the study (rather than creating a pen with it) and put the coffee table in front of the window in there.

Fashionable Explorer

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse
SAHM - I hate the idea of being a SAHM. It's the last thing I ever wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, I love and adore & always wanted Emmett. But I wanted to be out working, doing something constructive with my days, rather than sitting around watching him play on a mat with toys.
Iunno, it's just not very fulfilling to me.

I have to admit, I do share the laziness opinion when it comes to parents with children at school that are still SAHM. My mother was like that, her house was never tidy, she just sat around watching TV and doing nothing all day. I would get up, clean the house, go to school with my siblings, come home, do my homework etc and end up cleaning the house again before I went to bed. If I didn't do something, it didn't get done.

That said, I don't understand the whole SAHM have to deal with more housework/mess. Ok, so there is a little more washing up given that you're home all day to eat rather than eating out. But vacuuming & laundry remain the same quantities regardless. & If you teach your children to clean up after themselves as they go, it's not that different.
I personally don't understand while child care gets paid so much either, so I guess that rationalisation doesn't work on me.

I personally have a lot more respect for people like my husband. Up at 6am to get up and go to work, commutes 2-2.5hrs to get to work at 9am, works solidly until 5pm, 2-2.5hr commute home to be a father and husband and somehow finds the time to study full time. He still cooks dinner and watches Emmett while I shower.

You're ******** joking right? I've been a SAHM for 5 years, worked in child care for 2 years in a center. I have 3 years of nannying under my belt. Plus 10+ years of babysitting. Do you have ANY clue how hard child care providers work? ANY clue? We educate your child while you're at work. We chase your child around teaching them how to clean up after themselves. We teach them how to walk, how to talk, how to hold a spoon. We teach them how to use a toilet. We wipe their asses. We teach your kid sign language, Spanish, early reading skills, and social etiquette. We take your kids to zoos, museums, fire stations, fantastic events. And MANY of us do it for minimum wage or less... because people like YOU think that we're paid too much to do a job that once they hit 5 you need a 4 year degree for....

I have an issue with childcare, not educators. I've also worked as an au pair and a baby sitter. I know how hard they work. Childcare in Australia is defined as under 3yrs. After 3yrs you're an early childhood teacher and need a degree to work in the industry. Childcare means babies and toddlers, not the small children.
In Australia, child carers don't get paid minimum wage, they get quite a bit. I don't know what it's like in America (or other countries for that matter.).
I'm sorry if I offended you.

My last job I made $5/hr...minimum wage here is $7.78. And even in early childcare, infantcare, you're still an educator. I don't get how its any different? Do child care providers sit on their butts all day playing on facebook or something there? Because I held many zoo, museum, etc memberships. I had enriching and educational activities planned every day. I worked with my last kid on ABCs, Colors, Counting, Animals, and Sounds (just to name a few). And he turned 2 during my time watching him. It is very offensive to imply that childcare isn't worth the pay (when many are underpaid).

No, they don't.
We do the exact same stuff, I think the only time I ever got on facebook was while the kids were asleep and I had finished doing all of the house work set for me.
God I'd go home and think up arts and crafts to do with the kids I looked after.
+ I had cultural days and we had active play, I even taught one little girl how to spell her name, that was fun<3
I miss Olive, and Isobel and Angus.

Profitable Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Frau Holda
dragonslord8o

any other SAHMs out there get a hard time?

xd All I can think is "welcome to the mommy-wars!" lol

I get tired of people acting like I'm lucky because I stay home. Luck had nothing to do with it! If I worked, I could not make enough to cover childcare. I kinda HAVE to stay home, but either way, it's worth it. I'd rather be super frugal and broke all the time than put the kids in daycare. Aaron was 100% dead-set against daycare before we even got married.

I'm sure I'm judged for staying home. I don't really care though. I mean, they judge me for everything else too! I nurse "too long" (gross!)....I had a baby at home (OMG DANGER!). My kids aren't vaccinated (plague!) and they won't go to school (unsocialized!) rofl I'm sure I'm a terrible human being for all that already. 3nodding

Don't feel bad at all. I have a friend who was raised in a shaker community (they are like Amish) and she was never vaccinated. I only went to school two hours a day because of a learning disability. I turned out fine. I say nurse as long as you can (I think maybe 5 or 6 is getting 'strange' but they are your kids. You aren't hurting them ) People thought it was kind of strange that i nursed in the first place.

Daycare is insane. My youngest step grand kid goes to day care and it cost his parents a TON. I don't know how they do it.

Shameless Consumer

I often fantasize about having only one child, even though it makes me sound horrible! Both girls are so dependent, I've always got someone touching me, fighting over me, NEEDING me almost every second of the day. I can just imagine being able to cook dinner without three people screaming at me, being able to eat with the rest of the family, going pee without the world ending, doing housework before they go to sleep for the night, or doing schoolwork during the day ( eek ).

Or maybe I'd just use the extra time to teach my baby to not eat crayons/books/paper/bugs/socks/cat hair. lol

Profitable Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kitakiy
dragonslord8o
Stay at home moms out there...help me out
I was at the library with my kid and i happened to mention i read a lot because i'm a SAHM. One of the moms kind of rolled her eyes at me. I've met a couple of people who thought SAHMs were lazy so they didn't work or were gold diggers.
I run a cattle/chicken farm and I have a disabled husband to care for. I'd have more kids if my husband was in better shape.
I think people give me a harder time than most because I'm in an age gap relationship. (I'm a bit younger than him)

any other SAHMs out there get a hard time?

What people don't realize is that nap time can get boring and it gives you time to do stuff, but you work HARD when the baby is up. I can't vacuum while Luna is sleeping so I have to strap her to my chest to do it since she is scared of it- makes vacuuming such a workout. Similar story with dishes. I do TONS of work while Luna is awake and then during her naps I can sometimes relax - read or Facebook or putz around on Gaia.
Don't worry about those people. Everyone is always going to have an opinion and sometimes that means they think you are something you are not (lazy, selfish, greedy etc). YOU know you work hard, and that's what matters!

Yes I'm glad other people feel the same way I do. I know I work hard. Just because I don't have a job doesn't make me lazy. Thanks smile
Naterbee
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse
SAHM - I hate the idea of being a SAHM. It's the last thing I ever wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, I love and adore & always wanted Emmett. But I wanted to be out working, doing something constructive with my days, rather than sitting around watching him play on a mat with toys.

I have to admit, I do share the laziness opinion when it comes to parents with children at school that are still SAHM. My mother was like that, her house was never tidy, she just sat around watching TV and doing nothing all day. I would get up, clean the house, go to school with my siblings, come home, do my homework etc and end up cleaning the house again before I went to bed. If I didn't do something, it didn't get done.

That said, I don't understand the whole SAHM have to deal with more housework/mess. Ok, so there is a little more washing up given that you're home all day to eat rather than eating out. But vacuuming & laundry remain the same quantities regardless. & If you teach your children to clean up after themselves as they go, it's not that different.
I personally don't understand while child care gets paid so much either, so I guess that rationalisation doesn't work on me.

I personally have a lot more respect for people like my husband. Up at 6am to get up and go to work, commutes 2-2.5hrs to get to work at 9am, works solidly until 5pm, 2-2.5hr commute home to be a father and husband and somehow finds the time to study full time. He still cooks dinner and watches Emmett while I shower.

You're ******** joking right? I've been a SAHM for 5 years, worked in child care for 2 years in a center. I have 3 years of nannying under my belt. Plus 10+ years of babysitting. Do you have ANY clue how hard child care providers work? ANY clue? We educate your child while you're at work. We chase your child around teaching them how to clean up after themselves. We teach them how to walk, how to talk, how to hold a spoon. We teach them how to use a toilet. We wipe their asses. We teach your kid sign language, Spanish, early reading skills, and social etiquette. We take your kids to zoos, museums, fire stations, fantastic events. And MANY of us do it for minimum wage or less... because people like YOU think that we're paid too much to do a job that once they hit 5 you need a 4 year degree for....

I have an issue with childcare, not educators. I've also worked as an au pair and a baby sitter. I know how hard they work. Childcare in Australia is defined as under 3yrs. After 3yrs you're an early childhood teacher and need a degree to work in the industry. Childcare means babies and toddlers, not the small children.
In Australia, child carers don't get paid minimum wage, they get quite a bit. I don't know what it's like in America (or other countries for that matter.).

My last job I made $5/hr...minimum wage here is $7.78. And even in early childcare, infantcare, you're still an educator. I don't get how its any different? Do child care providers sit on their butts all day playing on facebook or something there? Because I held many zoo, museum, etc memberships. I had enriching and educational activities planned every day. I worked with my last kid on ABCs, Colors, Counting, Animals, and Sounds (just to name a few). And he turned 2 during my time watching him. It is very offensive to imply that childcare isn't worth the pay (when many are underpaid).

No, they don't.
We do the exact same stuff, I think the only time I ever got on facebook was while the kids were asleep and I had finished doing all of the house work set for me.
God I'd go home and think up arts and crafts to do with the kids I looked after.
+ I had cultural days and we had active play, I even taught one little girl how to spell her name, that was fun<3

Okay good, I was getting a bit concerned about child care elsewhere.

O.G. Bunny

14,325 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
My absolute favorite thing about being a mom is poop painting. Every time I think that phase is over and it's safe to put her jammies back on the right way... poop everywhere. Poopmageddon.
dragonslord8o

Don't feel bad at all. I have a friend who was raised in a shaker community (they are like Amish) and she was never vaccinated. I only went to school two hours a day because of a learning disability. I turned out fine. I say nurse as long as you can (I think maybe 5 or 6 is getting 'strange' but they are your kids. You aren't hurting them ) People thought it was kind of strange that i nursed in the first place.

Daycare is insane. My youngest step grand kid goes to day care and it cost his parents a TON. I don't know how they do it.

Oh I don't feel bad about it at all. blaugh I'm confident in our choices and lifestyle. They're ridiculously healthy. I never went to school at all and I thought it was great! lol Normal age of weaning for humans is between 2 and 7 (average is 4). D nursed for 2 and a half years. O is going strong at 20 months.

My husband used to teach Karate at the Y and he says that the kids that came from daycare instead of home were NUTS and starved for attention. I don't know much about that because I wasn't there...but that's why he didn't want his children to be in daycare. We actually talked about it when we were dating. He said "if we have kids I don't want them to ever be in daycare" and I'm like "well that's great because I never want them in school either!" lol Match made in heaven. rofl
Sukuya
My absolute favorite thing about being a mom is poop painting. Every time I think that phase is over and it's safe to put her jammies back on the right way... poop everywhere. Poopmageddon.

Oscar lives in overalls now. He doesn't TRY to get into it...he just sticks his hand in his diaper and is upset when it comes out poopy. He put his hand in his mouth one day. gonk He cried and I don't blame him! Blegh!
Emmett has a lot of overalls. Both Michael & I love them, so my MIL gets him Osh Kosh ones while she's in the states (it's a lot cheaper there). They're so much easier. Emmett's issue is his shirts ride up, so overalls help stop that.
Once we're toilet training though, it won't be anything but elastic waist bands for a while xD

Fashionable Explorer

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
Dust.And.Echoes.
Naterbee
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse
Dust.And.Echoes.
Sammiifayse

No, they don't.

Okay good, I was getting a bit concerned about child care elsewhere.

Yeah, haha.
The thing is though you can't run a childcare from your home unless you have the proper certifications, and your house has to go under safety checks and they are rigorous.
Part of getting those certifications is showing that you can do that sort of thing and be a room leader.

O.G. Bunny

14,325 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Sammiifayse
Emmett has a lot of overalls. Both Michael & I love them, so my MIL gets him Osh Kosh ones while she's in the states (it's a lot cheaper there). They're so much easier. Emmett's issue is his shirts ride up, so overalls help stop that.
Once we're toilet training though, it won't be anything but elastic waist bands for a while xD

The sad thing is, my daughter is toilet training. The reason for most of her paintings is because she refuses to poop in her pants so instead takes her diaper off, poops somewhere in the room and colors with it...
One day I came in to find she took a dump on her dump truck. What?
The other day I changed his clothes and diaper in the morning....I let him walk away for a sec. I thought I was safe....nope....he peed in the floor....no biggie...while I was cleaning it up he pooped on the big pillow in the floor! talk2hand He squatted right down and grabbed it like "WAT IS DIS????" eek I had to grab him and run for the tub....rinsed him off and then had to go deal with the runny/turd combo poop on the pillow and floor. crying

Or when they poop in the bathtub? I hate that!
Sukuya
Sammiifayse

The sad thing is, my daughter is toilet training. The reason for most of her paintings is because she refuses to poop in her pants so instead takes her diaper off, poops somewhere in the room and colors with it...
One day I came in to find she took a dump on her dump truck. What?

Well it's kinda appropriate. xd

One time poop came out of Dani's diaper like soft serve icecream....and I caught it with my bare hand because I'd rather clean my hand than the carpet.....and the ridiculous part? I was on the phone and didn't even stop talking when this happened!!!! Didn't even phase me!
FINALLY caught Emmett on video doing his weird arch thing. I hope he gets this crawling thing down soon. It's so frustrating seeing him so close. He has all the muscle groups and co-ordination, he just hasn't figured out how to put it all together.
Video

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces