8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
KIDS CORNER
A thread for parents

User Image

Hello everyone!
I made this thread for parents - new parents, old parents, grandparents, wanna-be parents, and godparents.
EVERYONE is welcome here, every family type, all ages, all genders.
We welcome the stay at home mom, the stay at home dad, the working parents, the teen mom, the teen dad, and anyone who likes children.
This will be a great place to come and chat with other parents, to get some advice, to share advice and tricks and tips, to relax, and to celebrate milestones and achievements.

I am going to try to have a new poll up every ten days - one month. If you have poll ideas I'd love to hear them ^_^

WARNING!
PLEASE READ!!!

This is a PARENTING thread! This means that much of the conversation may revolve around things others might find disturbing, such as birth stories, sex lives of the parents, poop, pee, blood, puke, snot, other bodily excretions, plus more.
Enter at your own risk!

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
RULES

((EDITED 3/10/12))

This thread is for people who want to talk about children and parenting in an appropriate, friendly manner. I will not tolerate people abusing this thread or the people who post here. Please treat everyone fairly. We do not judge here. We do not insult other people.
It is important to be open-minded and understand that many people have different ways of doing things and different opinions. While you are free to debate and express your opinions and beliefs here, telling people they are stupid, name-calling, and condescension are not acceptable.
I would also like to point out that this is a thread about being a parent and raising children - not about religion or politics or fashion or otherwise. Now, if you can directly connect these topics to children or parenting, then feel free to talk about them ^_^

~Be respectful of everyone
~Do not flame or insult anyone here, whether it is in this thread or talking about them elsewhere.
~Debating is fine, but please respect other peoples' opinions
~Please keep to the general topic of parenting
~Please do not post inappropriate content here. If you are not sure, consult Gaia ToS or PM one of us
~Please listen to me and the thread moderators
~Please keep quote trees to no more than three boxes
~Keep pictures small - no page-stretchers. Otherwise please use links.

If anyone has a problem with a particular person, please do not resort to rude behavior - just ignore them and you may speak to one of us about it.

People moderating this thread:
ZellyKat

Please respect them and listen if they say something to you.

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
RESOURCES

Websites

Pregnancy Support Thread

AAP website

Babycenter

Babble(This is a great site for parenting blogs)

Huggies (Baby development stages)

Organise, declutter, repurpose (Like the title says)

Wholesome baby food (Ideas for purees if you choose not to do Baby led weaning)

Scary Mommy (Blog sorta thing where Mum's come together and post about their itty bitties)

Kaboose (Ideas and activities for you to do with your kids)

Raising my Rainbow

What to Expect

Books

I'm a Mom! Now what?
Su Laurent, MD and Peter Reader, MD

Your Baby's First Year, Third Edition
Steven P. Shelov, MD, MS, FAAP, Editor in Chief

What to Expect the First Year, Second Edition
Sandee Hathaway (Author), Arlene Eisenberg (Author), Heidi Murkoff (Author)
(What to Expect also has many books for other stages!)

New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
Joan Younger, MD, MS, FAAP, IBCLC, Editor In Chief

If you have some great resources, please feel free to PM me and let me know!

An article one of the thread users found on how much kids REALLY cost ^_^
User Image

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Pictures!

I had the idea that, since many parents LOVE showing
off their pride and joys, if you wanted, you could send me
a picture in PM and I can put pictures of families/kids here.

(My little girl and I are on the intro post ^_^)

User Image
Luna

User Image
Kairi

User Image
William

Aiden
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Crunchy Spice's Family

User Image
Travis and Ashton

Maddy

User Image
Aaliyah

Chad
User Image

Daron
User Image

Group: Chad & Daron
They're so hard to catch together sitting still, haha! Best of the bunch right here.
User Image

User Image

User Image
Emmett
Emmett

Mia

User Image
Joseph

User Image
Isabella

Sophia

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Commonly used acronyms that you will probably see here

LO - Little one
TTC - Trying to Concieve
BF - Breastfeeding
EBF - Exclusively breast feeding
FF - Formula feeding
DD - Dear Daughter
DS - Dear Son
SAHM - Saty at home mom
SAHD - Stay at home dad
AD - Adoptive parent
AI - Artificial insemenation
BF - Biological Father
HPT - Home pregnancy test
EDD - Estimated due date
FC - foster care
SIL - sister in law
BIL - brother in law
FIL - father in law
MIL - mother in law
OPK - other peoples kids
PAP - potential adoptive parents
PG - pregnant
M/C - miscarry/miscarriage
POAS - Pee on a stick
SAHW - stay at home wife
SPBC - Single parent by choice (SMBC (mom) & SFBC (father))
U/S - ultrasound
VBAC - vaginal birth after cesarean
WAHD - Work at home dad
WAHM - Work at home mom
WOHD - Work outside home dad
WOHM - Work outside home mom
CIO - Cry it out (a sleep training method)

AAAAND a list of even more, in case someone uses something else ^_^
Parenting Acronyms

Other phrases

Rainbow baby - A baby that was born after the mother suffered a miscarriage with her previous pregnancy

If you have any to add let me know!

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Infant Nutrition

Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is good for baby AND you.
From the start, your breastmilk is tailored specifically for your baby. It has all of the nutrients that your newborn needs, and it grows and changes with your baby. Most women can produce exactly the right amount for their baby, though there are ways to increase your supply.

Lactation Cookies

Tips to increase milk supply

Your breastmilk contains important antibodies for your baby as well. It boosts your baby's immune system, thus resulting in a healthier baby and quicker recovery from illness.
There are many other uses for breastmilk other than just feeding your baby. It can be used on cuts and scratches, in stuffy noses, and for earaches. Breastfeeding can also be a natural pain reliever for your baby.

Other uses for breastmilk

Breastfeeding also reduces the risk for SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) - even if you only breastfeed for one month, your baby's risk of SIDS drops by one half! There have also been studies that suggest that breastfed babies can have a higher IQ, and reduce the risk of childhood obesity.

Breastfeeding can also result in a speedier recovery for you! Many women have reported losing their baby weight faster, because it uses up calories and stimulates the uterus to contract.
Women who breastfeed may be at a lower risk for getting breast cancer and ovarian cancer. For some women, it can even postpone your menstrual cycle (but that doesn't by any means replace birth control!).

There are many other benefits to breastfeeding besides health factors. Breastmilk is free, and while you should continue to eat healthily and take your prenatal vitamins, it can save you a fortune that you might instead spend on formula. There is no need to buy bottles to clean and sterilize (unless you choose to pump), and it's readily available whenever baby is hungry! Since babies who breastfeed are known to get sick less often, it can also save in doctor bills and time you might have to take off work to care for a sick child.

How to choose a breastpump

Breastfeeding can also be a great bonding experience between you and your baby.

Sometimes breastfeeding CAN be hard. Your nipples may get sore, your baby may not latch properly, or your milk production might be low, but it can be worth it. There are many resources for women who have difficulties breastfeeding, and most cities/hospitals have lactation consultants who can coach you through it.

Breastfeeding problems can put a lot of stress on the mother, thus making it more difficult to enjoy those precious first months. Sometimes choosing to give formula can remove that stress. Mothers who switch to formula for reasons like these should not feel guilty, because what is important is that you are both happy and healthy.

Breastfeeding Info and Links

No, really ^_^ arrow Breastfeeding.com

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies by Noel Trujillo
"This recipe is great for mothers who are breastfeeding. It helps to keep your milk supply up or increase your milk supply. Use more brewers yeast and oatmeal if you are wanting to increase your milk supply. You can use more chocolate chips if you like or any kind of chips."

AAP Breastfeeding Recommendations

Breastfeeding Q&A

Kellymom: How does a mother’s diet affect her milk?

Formula

Often, a woman may choose not to breastfeed, or sometimes, a woman simply can't. Every woman has a right to decide how to feed her baby, and formula is the next best thing to breastmilk. Cow's milk can be difficult for a baby to digest so it is recommended that a baby stick to formula or breastmilk for the first year.

Choosing a formula

Formula has many benefits. For one thing, it is much easier to track exactly how much food your baby is getting. It can be very reassuring to know that your baby is getting exactly whan he or she needs, and if they are not, you can call your pediatrician right away.

How much should my baby eat?

Formula is also known to be digested more slower, which can result in fewer feedings throughout the day, and the baby may be more likely to sleep through the night.
Many women enjoy the freedom that comes with bottle feeding as well. Anyone can give baby a bottle, and new mothers can go back to work sooner. You do not have to worry about having a drink or two when you have a night out, or the need to pump before and after.

Breastfeeding problems can put a lot of stress on the mother, thus making it more difficult to enjoy those precious first months. Sometimes choosing to give formula can remove that stress. Mothers who switch to formula for reasons like these should not feel guilty, because what is important is that you are both happy and healthy.

Formula/bottle feeding Info and Links

Benefits of Bottle Feeding

AAP Information and Recommendations

Solids

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
wahmbulance

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
burning_eyes

Chatty Werewolf

8,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Jacob 100
NOW OPEN! Yay!

Savage Tactician

22,040 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Olympian 200
I don't know what's more sad.

That this can be considered a lifestyle, or that people will eventually post in it.
Only Gray
I don't know what's more sad.

That this can be considered a lifestyle, or that people will eventually post in it.

Raising children can be rough. Kitakiy posted this up for those of us who need the support. Many of the people here will be coming from the Pregnancy Support thread which has helped out many Gaian parents for ages. Now we have a place to talk about other things. Like the pain of a first year, the milestones and the joys that come after we put in all the hard work.

Keep in mind that Gaia has a wide variety of people with different lives. Many of us are parents.

I'm here to help out with the thread. I'm a mother of a sweet 8 month old little girl and trust me, it's good to talk about life with children. It keeps you from going insane.

Fashionable Explorer

8,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
Ah!
Sorry I didn't reply to your Pm but here is a few more websites to add:

Huggies (Baby development stages)
Organise, declutter, repurpose (Like the title says)
Wholesome baby food (Ideas for purees if you choose not to do Baby led weaning)
Scary Mommy (Blog sorta thing where Mum's come together and post about their itty bitties)
Kaboose (Ideas and activities for you to do with your kids)

C:

Also, is there certain sizes you want for the baby pictures?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff