Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
If anyone has paid attention to my previous posts on feminism from a while back, then you're about to get something that I want to keep as relatively politically neutral as possible. As much as I support feminism, there's a lot of the idea that is leaking into gaming in constant Anita Sarkesian dribble where the writers of articles who have picked up a recent study where women make almost 50% of the gaming community and take it as not only as a sign of change, but as a legitimate milestone for women. I think this might be lengthy as I haven't drafted this s**t, but I'm not going to give you a "tldr" because I don't owe any of you that s**t. If you disagree with me, if you agree with me, that's your issue, I really don't care, this is going to be my vent/viewpoint.

Once upon a time last year, I sat down to check my Facebook when a Gaming Page uploaded the infamous video for Anita Sarkeesian's first episode of Feminist Frequency. With my interest of feminism only happening to bloom at the time, I clicked, I watched. While there were little spots I thought she had taken out of context, I pretty much thought she nailed down the thing I myself had been annoyed with video games.
So, spurred on by this, I became more concious about certain things with female representation of video games, even at times that were indeed hypocritical, having not even thought back to my original view points of women in video games and the need for context. Though I never boycotted anything, I sure did whine about things such as some of the lewd potrayals of women in games like Dragon's Crown.

Fast forward to this year, I find an article that shows that gamers that are female come up to about 48% of the gaming demographic. Immediately I was pleased because "woo, female gamers, we're getting a gamer balance!"

It wasn't however, that I read an article by "Cheshire Cat Studios", where a group of pessimistic nerds write commentary on entertainment media such as movies and video games brought up an interesting insight on why there are less girl gamers.

To paraphrase, the article essentially said that there is an actual sexist mentality between gamers and "feminist" gamers. Both make the female Gamer out to be a mystical creature amongst men. For the Gamers, it's also the sexist idea that women only play "casual games", which is your Angry Birds, Flappy Bird and what have you, and the "feminist" gamer movement turns video games into a political statement instead of a past time. Essentially, both stereotypes differentiate the female gamer from the "default" male gamer. They are not being taken seriously, which is probably one of the big blockades for women in some gaming communities.
At first, I thought it was an interesting viewpoint, until I did look at the article I had read before on the gamer gender balance from the Female Media website, The Mary Sue, where I actually thought on this point, as well as reading how this article was written that I physically cringed when I re-read:
Quote:
Hey remember how girls are supposed to think that video games are gross and totally don’t belong in your hobby, or whatever? Yeah, no. We make up 48% of all “gamers,” according to the Entertainment Software Association—which makes us a larger demographic than teenage boys. So, guess you’d better get used to us.

Fortunately, they have the pdf file that was used for this research, but I can't help but still loathe this type of writing. It's not formal, and it's not even written to sound mature. It sounds angry and hostile towards men under the presumption that every single one is a sexist p***k that'll chase women out of a convention to quarantine that precious space the girl's alleged heels had stepped on.
I recently watched one of Anita's most recent videos, "Women as Background Decoration, Part 1". I had thought to give her the benefit of the doubt when I found out that she doesn't like video games, though part of me wonders now if I had been trying to deny a big "no-no" simply out of a Feminist Pride. What I saw left me both annoyed and I feel like it may be time to do as I used to back in my uber Goth days, and try to lead a better example than her.
Anytime Anita has made a potentially good article related to the potrayal of women in video games, they are very small and few. For example, in that episode, Anita compares the fact that prostitutes are basically soda cans-they are actually itemized, and sex becomes the interactive sequence to replenish Health like soda. Otherwise, there are more examples than not where she'll take a video game completely out of context such as making a prostitute in Fallout: New Vegas a sort of grotesque necrophillic sexualization, with her words basically saying "this is unique to women." when in the actual game, you can pick up the corpses of men, women, dogs, cockroaches, or just raise part of their limb. The point is, I have woken upto what was more obvious than I wanted to believe- Anita is full of s**t, and a liar.
It also dawned on me when I thought more on the article that put a more central argument about reasons why women aren't taken seriously-I know female gamers, and have through my time on the internet, seen dozens of female gamers on youtube, in blogs, and made friends with some, and lost some as friends, and yet I too, was making this whole big deal about women in the gaming community. You know what would probably be the best comparison for this is? If anyone still watches The Simpsons, it's like the episode where Marge is training to be a police officer, and she's struggling to climb over a brick wall, and everyone is walking through a door-that's what this "war" is. While there are definitely imperatives towards girl gamers, if Jaltoid's animation on girl gamers can be considered enough commentary, there are people who do creep on women, and I'm sure "sammich" jokes at the time were heard over and over again. In my own personal experience having been mistaken for a female gamer, I am no stranger to this bullshit, it is the truth, and bloody ******** can these assholes be condescending.

However, instead of doing what many people have done in this day and age and dwelled on being a victim to this junk, I think the community should just try a more positive approach and welcome people into their gaming circles. Encourage and recommend people of either gender to play different things, instead of turning what would essentially be considered a way to enjoy a different medium into a war where the female presence is somehow revolutionary and then men have to back down. That's not going to help anyone, that's just going to make the few assholes who sneer at women playing video games sneer even more.

Personally, my experience with this is that there is still ways women could probably be improved in their potrayal in video games if they're being sexual for the purpose of "sex sells video games", but we also have to go from just calling out game designers for showing cleavage to also analyzing what they're doing, or perhaps the situation. There are better ways to do this, but Anita Sarkeesian, the Zoe Quinns of the world, these are not the people who should be leading the banner into the video game world. I think Cyndi Lauper said it best: Girls Just wanna have fun.

There's a lot more I can elaborate on here, because I feel that I did leave some of my other viewpoints of a completely unwarranted opinion of this topic out, but if you made it this far, you can...comment on it, or give your own argument on this. I'm just going to plop some of the articles that got me to write this.

The Mary Sue
The PDF used in the above article, linked from it.
Chesire Cat Studios
Anita's Background Decoration Part One.
Strike back how?
This was brought to my attention from a page that originally started off gender neutral. Women were actually the most vocal opposing this post on Facebook.
Actually, this was a point I left out but this one annoyed me. The author has done minimal research on Street Fighter's character, Poison, a CapCom veteran who is most recognized for at-one-time, a confirmed Male to Female transgender character. While I'll agree that making Poison's sex ambigious once again was a cop-out, the author seems to believe more audiences choose Poison to be trans because they feel more at ease with beating up a transsexual. More often than not, fans associate Poison as genetically female because of what I would assume is a potential sexual fantasy thrill. Many people who agree Poison could/should be trans do so because of her interesting history of gender ambiguity, as well as being a different potrayal for a transsexual from that of drag queens, like the one from Banjo Kazooie.
I'll be honest. I skim read. You had my full attention until I hit show spoiler and then you lost it.
I don't care even a little bit about representation. If it's good, I'll play it. I didn't care about the characters in Dragons Crown because it was a really ******** awesome game. Plus if we're gonna b***h about the women, dat dwarf, man.

Invisible Gekko

9,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Feminists will find sexism in anything. Oh you glanced at me while walking down the street? RAPE!
Oh you called your male friend a b***h? SEXIST LANGUAGE AGAINST WOMEN! Oh you ate a sandwich? PATRIARCHY!

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
boob jiggle
I'll be honest. I skim read. You had my full attention until I hit show spoiler and then you lost it.
I don't care even a little bit about representation. If it's good, I'll play it. I didn't care about the characters in Dragons Crown because it was a really ******** awesome game. Plus if we're gonna b***h about the women, dat dwarf, man.

It is pretty fun. It's kinda like Golden Axe II or something, I think we need more of that style. But I'll admit,I saw gigantic boobs and was all "OH YOU HAVE TO BE ******** KIDDING"
Toxilicks
boob jiggle

It is pretty fun. It's kinda like Golden Axe II or something, I think we need more of that style. But I'll admit,I saw gigantic boobs and was all "OH YOU HAVE TO BE ******** KIDDING"
I saw the gigantic boobs and ran around making them bounce in her face. I only really ended up actually playing as the elf though, for play style.

I found out the other day that my ff14 characters boobs jiggle when I do stuff so I ran around my friend jumping around him and jiggling my boobs in his face.

Sparkly Duck

Come on now. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and read everything, sans your source links. Seriously, you put source links in there? You've been thinking hard, haven't you question question idea

Your conclusion should have been such from the beginning of time. Any decent human being is willing to share on a basic level. People like Zoe or Anita ruin their own reputation and tarnish the name of "female gamer" along with them, obviously.

On a professional level however, yes there is corruption in the gaming industry. Journalism, specifically. That's a different story though.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Compound Me
Come on now. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and read everything, sans your source links. Seriously, you put source links in there? You've been thinking hard, haven't you question question idea

Your conclusion should have been such from the beginning of time. Any decent human being is willing to share on a basic level. People like Zoe or Anita ruin their own reputation and tarnish the name of "female gamer" along with them, obviously.

On a professional level however, yes there is corruption in the gaming industry. Journalism, specifically. That's a different story though.

Are you a regular from beyond the grave?

Sparkly Duck

Toxilicks

wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance

You can message me about that if you have a legit reason. But here...oh here I'm looking to discuss motha lovin lifestyles.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Compound Me
Toxilicks

wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance

You can message me about that if you have a legit reason. But here...oh here I'm looking to discuss motha lovin lifestyles.

I don't know if I'm that curious to find out. Enjoy discussing lifestyles.
Why does it matter what these people have to say anyways? At the end of the day the video games that will propagate are the video games that people want to buy. Video games are a pretty good model for a free market (as far as I'm aware), it's a form of natural selection. The kinds of games that survive will be the games that sell well, and the games that will not be made are the games that don't sell well.

So at the end of the day if you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is then your words mean nothing to the very people you're trying to influence (the people who make the games). Also if you buy games even though you don't like them, all that means is that you don't take your own beliefs seriously and therefore why should anyone else? Lead by example.

Just look at all the so called sexual objectification feminists have been complaining about for decades, have they really had a significant impact on media? Well perhaps they've had a small impact, I don't know, but I would be confident in saying that they haven't had a significant influence at all. Why? Because sex sells, and the main language businesses speak is money because that's how they survive. A business can't cover their expenses, they die out. Like I said free markets work very similar to natural selection.

If enough people do decide to no longer pay for video games that they don't like and they end up changing the kinds of games that are made to fit their perspective/agenda, who am I to complain about what other people like in games?

If I don't like a game, guess what, I don't buy it. I will definitely have my reasons for no longer purchasing a game (obviously), but I don't have the entitlement to believe I can just b***h about how games aren't made the way I like and expect people to take my complaints seriously. If other people like them but I don't too ******** bad for me.

So I honestly am just perplexed at why so many people are so angry over these people complaining. If they don't have the numbers they aren't going to be able to change how video games are made, and if they do have the numbers and video games are changed to fit what they want, then who are you to complain about the way games are made? This is the very criticism made towards these people complaining, so it would be hypocritical to complain if video games are no longer made the way you like them.

So my point is, ignore them, who cares I mean really they are unimportant and irrelevant. I think I only have watched like 1 or 2 of Anita's videos, I just stopped watching them because the fact of the matter is I just don't care what she has to say.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Before I get more into the topic at hand, on the subject of how women are represented in games, I think it is important to address that yes, women aren't well represented. I think there have been a few good games that do address this in a way that doesn't scream of "oh look at us, we're being so god damned progressive right now!" you know the games. The ones where the main selling point of the game is "look at this, we have homosexuals and gender neutral characters in our game, it's not even the main focus of the game but we sure as hell are going to point it out in the hopes that you will buy our shitty game for that reason alone! I think there has been progress in the gaming i

All that being said, I won't get into too long a point but all social or political groups there are people who whilst are apart of whatever movement you happen to be apart of, there are people who just miss the point. They may not know how to pick their battles or they may use games as a scape goat as a means to try to shock and scare people into whatever point they're trurying to make. Congress people and have done this when parental groups got all up and arms with the violence factor. It was a ploy to get votes, eh I'll FINish this point tomorrow. It's 2 and I can't stay awake typing this right now.but I hope you get Somme idea of what I was relying to aay

Lavish Husband

I legitimately thought I was going to walk in here and it be about Quinn.

Eh. All this fighting in videogames on just about EVERYTHING is wearing me down.

There are some games I refuse to play based on the portrayal of women. (Dragon's Crown being one.)

With this new generation, female gamers are being more accepted.
I expect to see things get better in time.

Women are taken less serious, generally. I think that's the issue.
Toxilicks
Anytime Anita has made a potentially good article related to the potrayal of women in video games, they are very small and few. For example, in that episode, Anita compares the fact that prostitutes are basically soda cans-they are actually itemized, and sex becomes the interactive sequence to replenish Health like soda. Otherwise, there are more examples than not where she'll take a video game completely out of context such as making a prostitute in Fallout: New Vegas a sort of grotesque necrophillic sexualization, with her words basically saying "this is unique to women." when in the actual game, you can pick up the corpses of men, women, dogs, cockroaches, or just raise part of their limb. The point is, I have woken upto what was more obvious than I wanted to believe- Anita is full of s**t, and a liar.

Yeah... no.

Here point is about the sexual objectification of women. The reason she says the problem is "unique" to women is because she is dealing with how women appear in games how how this interacts with a specific culture that sees women as the sexual objects for men to have control over. There is no lying or s**t here.

You are merely equivocating the ability to interact with other corpses with what Anita is talking about. One of these things, as they say, is not like the other. Furthermore, even if there were similar issues with the ability to interact with any other corpse, it would not remove the problem with how women were portrayed and that is was unique to them (issues of the objectification of women are, by definition, not objectification of something else).
Playing Candy Crush and Farmville does not a gamer make. Women make up 50% of gamers only if you count shitty micro transaction facebook games.
Times Of War
Playing Candy Crush and Farmville does not a gamer make. Women make up 50% of gamers only if you count shitty micro transaction facebook games.

Before anyone takes what this person says and misses the entire ******** point, let me explain why this fact is important.

What this user is pointing out is that people who play Candy Crush and Farmville are not necessarily the same kind of people who actually buy video games on a frequent basis.

When it comes to this discussion and whether women are represented or not or whatever, what matters is the demographics of the people who actually pay for and buy games on a regular basis. It is that target market that matters, the people that video games businesses do not pay attention to are people who don't pay for games on a regular basis even if they do play farmville or whatever.

And the point is that the study that claims women are 50% of gamers are just talking about people who play games, they are not doing what they should have done, which is to figure out the demographics of people who actually pay for video games on a regular basis. If a study actually did that the female demographic would be much lower than 50% because the fact of the matter is more men than women are willing to give their discretionary income towards video games.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff