Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Member

I'm taking an online Anthropology course and the question is along the lines of "How does your ethnicity and nationality help create your own identity and why"

Is it okay to bring up politics in this? Because it's talking about ethnicity and nationality, I'm trying to discuss how most of my family is very right-wing and although that isn't necessarily a bad thing (sometimes it can be), I'm like the total opposite based on previous anthro courses I have taken.

It is an anthropology course and I'm assuming the professor understands where I'm coming from with equality and everything. I'm a white female in America. How has my nationality really affected me? I don't know. But I'm white and I know that I have the "white privilege", which is unfair to other people.

Anyway, is this okay to talk about? I honestly don't know what else to say about my identity other than wanting equality for those who are unfairly treated. I know that sounds really cheesy and overdone but that's just the gist what my identity is because of my nationality and ethnicity.

I know I might be insulting some people's political views... Do you think the professor could be offended? Can someone give me advice on what else I could maybe say? I don't know. I don't know, please help.

Wicked Sweetheart

Enough Said
I'm taking an online Anthropology course and the question is along the lines of "How does your ethnicity and nationality help create your own identity and why"

Is it okay to bring up politics in this? Because it's talking about ethnicity and nationality, I'm trying to discuss how most of my family is very right-wing and although that isn't necessarily a bad thing (sometimes it can be), I'm like the total opposite based on previous anthro courses I have taken.

It is an anthropology course and I'm assuming the professor understands where I'm coming from with equality and everything. I'm a white female in America. How has my nationality really affected me? I don't know. But I'm white and I know that I have the "white privilege", which is unfair to other people.

Anyway, is this okay to talk about? I honestly don't know what else to say about my identity other than wanting equality for those who are unfairly treated. I know that sounds really cheesy and overdone but that's just the gist what my identity is because of my nationality and ethnicity.

I know I might be insulting some people's political views... Do you think the professor could be offended? Can someone give me advice on what else I could maybe say? I don't know. I don't know, please help.

YOU should MOST DEFINITELY acknowledge that you're privileged.
and it shouldn't be considered off topic, it's a huge topic right now that affects you and others and most definitely has something to do with your identity, even if it's just your political identity.
If you need resources PM me.

Frozen Fairy

bee pollen
Enough Said

and it shouldn't be considered off topic, it's a huge topic right now that affects you and others and most definitely has something to do with your identity, even if it's just your political identity.

omfg. everyone needs to shut the ******** up about privilege.

Everything is just a ******** privilege contest now.
ie:
You have thin-privilege
You have able-bodied privilege
You have straight privilege
You have white privilege
You have class privilege
You have cis-privilege
You have christian-privilege

It's ******** annoying as s**t. Try to get along with people, and stop trying to make your life out to be a pity-show.

Seriously. I don't give a s**t about how much money my friends have, what size they are, if they're in a wheelchair or walking around fine, if they're straight,gay, bi, asexual, or whatever. I don't care what religion or race they are. I don't care if they're trans, cis, or overall confused.

But I have no time for people who are on some pity trip where they go bashing other people in the name of privilege.
The quickest answer is just to ask your teacher.

In the past I've had professors accept these kinds of considerations in that kind of essay. I'd be careful with the wording and keep it relevant to the topic though, politic influences can turn into huge rants.

Anxious Prophet

Culture would be better to use than politics.

Take it from a history major who did the essay dance a lot. Your first idea is banana peels.

Wicked Sweetheart

icicle weapon
bee pollen
Enough Said

ie:
You have thin-privilege
You have white privilege
You have class privilege
You have cis-privilege

It's ******** annoying as s**t. Try to get along with people, and stop trying to make your life out to be a pity-show.

Seriously. I don't give a s**t about how much money my friends have, what size they are, if they're in a wheelchair or walking around fine, if they're straight,gay, bi, asexual, or whatever. I don't care what religion or race they are. I don't care if they're trans, cis, or overall confused.

But I have no time for people who are on some pity trip where they go bashing other people in the name of privilege.

Recognizing your privilege is about acknowledging you have it better than other people do. Like, if a white man recognizes his privilege he understands that if he was a white female he'd be getting paid less for the same work, etc. etc. and it usually entails through this awareness working to make the system better or as good for other people.

It's not about bashing anybody so I'm not sure what you quoted me in this.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
bee pollen
icicle weapon
bee pollen
Enough Said

ie:
You have thin-privilege
You have white privilege
You have class privilege
You have cis-privilege

Recognizing your privilege is about acknowledging you have it better than other people do. Like, if a white man recognizes his privilege he understands that if he was a white female he'd be getting paid less for the same work, etc. etc. and it usually entails through this awareness working to make the system better or as good for other people.

The term was abused to the point where it essentially lost all meaning. Not to mention that it over simplifies the disparity between different groups of people.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Privilege is a non-sequitur. You being white isn't some unfairness you've commited against people who aren't white (and it's arguably racist to think that). You didn't have a choice. Even if other races face greater discrimination, that's not you being treated well; that's other people being treated poorly. You don't need to apologize to other people for being a certain race (what would it be if I told a black man he needed to apologize for being black? How is it different here?); we just need to work to get rid of discrimination. Why try to make it about you when it isn't? Why try to put you being white in the spotlight when our attentions should rightly be focused on the s**t that actually constitutes a problem?

Frozen Fairy

bee pollen
icicle weapon
bee pollen
Enough Said

ie:
You have thin-privilege
You have white privilege
You have class privilege
You have cis-privilege

There is no privilege A lof of men have it pretty bad. And I, as a woman, am not going to go over a man who's life is significantly worse than mine and tell him he has privilege. That is just extremely rude and downright cruel.
Privilege exists on an individual basis, and it's ignorant and hateful to tell an entire group of people they have privilege when that is never the case.
And there is equal pay for equal work, in North American anyway.
It's just pity, pity, pity, and using your lack of privilege as an excuse instead of making an effort and taking charge of your own life.
Privilege is a term you use to deal with your own jealousy and insecurities.
You need to put the blame on another group of people.
"Well? Why am I not a doctor? Well, I'm a woman, so it's hard for me, and that's why I'm on welfare, and I don't have to work, because I don't have privilege." instead of just accepting the fact that you suck in science and moving on.

Are you not successful? Well, that's not the fault of white men. A lof of them aren't successful either, so suck it.
Stop blaming groups of people for your problems.

Risky Seeker

8,925 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
First off (and I have to say I'm nervous as fudge typing this) I salute you for your desire for equality and fairness. We are in much need of that in these times.
And second, the topic of your essay doesn't have to be about the certain privileges one race has over another. It's a hot issue, true, and so is politics, so they're the topics most likely to burst into flame in your face afterwards.
There's many other subsets to 'ethnicity' and 'nationality'. You could even just address them in a general sense instead of the word.
I find that people who are offended easily by other people's thoughts and ideas needs to keep a more open mind about the world. If your professor gets offended, he should recheck what subject he's teaching.
But that's just my one opinion and I know very little of anthropology aside from what I read in books sometimes. I hope you'll find a solution soon. Guidance and wisdom to you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff