Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is there such a thing as being happy alone?

Yes, but you have to be really introverted to apperciate it 0.63461538461538 63.5% [ 33 ]
No, that's a sad lie people tell themselves 0.057692307692308 5.8% [ 3 ]
Short-term, yes, long term? No! 0.21153846153846 21.2% [ 11 ]
Maybe with enough cats.. 0.038461538461538 3.8% [ 2 ]
I have no idea... 0.057692307692308 5.8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 52 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Enduring Master

23,725 Points
  • Energy Squad 200
  • Energy Generator 250
  • Battery 500
To me the concept always seemed superficial and people who went around posting things on facebook like: "The best way to be happy with someone, is to learn to be happy alone, that way the company will be a matter of choice, not necessity." Always seemed selfish and pretentious to me, like they don't know ANYTHING about what it's like to truly be "alone".

I grew up in a retirement community in Florida, all around me were old people dying and young people coming to visit who never really stayed. I once had a group of friends who'd meet every Saturday for pizza-parties, but they parted ways when they grew up and moved on. I lived as a single woman with no friends who didn't get out much for a good long while. I didn't have money or a job so I spent my days and nights watching anime, playing videogames, drawing, writing, taking personality quizzes, meditating, and "trying to find myself" while pretending that I was happy and everything was okay. I dated only 3 guys in that time I was alone... one at a time, at least a year apart each. I dumped the 1st guy when he said he didn't believe in marriage, the 2nd guy silently dumped me after one date and left me hanging for a year, and then returned and introduced me to the 3rd who I found to be the love of my life and my one true soul-mate. Since meeting him, I have known joy in being one with him beyond what most could experience by taking ecstasy... even though I have never found anything but depression in being alone.

I even wrote a poem about how empty and vein it was to me here.

Enough about me though, what are your experiences? Is anyone really truly happy alone? Does that actually work for anybody? Also, how much of an introverted shut-in do you have to be to actually enjoy such a thing? Not that I care.. since I'd probably off myself if I ever lost my fiance... emo

Devoted Pirate

Yes, of course. In fact, I think you NEED to be happy alone, and find yourself before you can fully contribute to a relationship. If you aren't happy with you, how can you expect to feel happy around others?
On occasion I crave human interaction but for the most part, I actually am happy being alone. While I have the occasional craving to be social, in truth it takes a lot of energy out of me and wares(sp?) me down mentally. I have a hard time maintaining interest or comfort-ability around others for that matter.
Im just as happy outside of a relationship as i am in one. Im fine staying home doing nothing and i have a lot of fun hanging out with friends too. I believe you should be happy with yourself before going into a relationship because if your partner is the soul point if your happiness, that's a lot of pressure for them and complicates the relationship more than necessary.
Im just as happy outside of a relationship as i am in one. Im fine staying home doing nothing and i have a lot of fun hanging out with friends too. I believe you should be happy with yourself before going into a relationship because if your partner is the soul point if your happiness, that's a lot of pressure for them and complicates the relationship more than necessary.

Demonic Divorcee

3,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Nobody has made a fapping joke.

Disappointed.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I'm somewhat more irritated at the typos in this thread than I would normally be.

People are inherently social, but they're also inherently adaptable. They can become functionally asocial if circumstance demands it.

Hallowed Gekko

You need to learn how to love and be happy with yourself before you can do those things with someone else. If you rely on someone else to provide those things to you, you're going to have a bad time.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
well sure

lotsa people are happy alone
though what looks like happiness is likely whats really so different for most folks

you aint gotta be smilin and chipper to be happy

Tipsy Prophet

Tldr
Also the poll options are crappy

Of course there is such a thing. There are people who being alone doesn't suit and then there are people who wouldn't have it any other way.

Loiterer

I think you're interpreting "alone" a little bit differently than the majority of people interpret it.

I think living COMPLETELY alone can be happy, but it takes a very certain type of person. However, when most people talk about being "alone" they don't usually mean 100% alone. They still have friends, social interaction, family. Even if it is very small considered to 'normal' people, it is still there.

What many people are really saying when they say they're happy to be alone, it's that they're happy to be single and not looking for a relationship. And in a broader sense, they are happy to have time to themselves.

I am perfectly happy to never be in a relationship again. But I also have a (strictly platonic) housemate. I don't have many friends outside him, and I don't talk to my family often. This is "alone" to a lot of people's definition, but not yours. In any case, I am happy.

Also, having relationships and then losing them is very different from choosing not to be in relationships (and when I say 'relationships' in this instance, I mean any type, not just romantic). I have lived in your position too, where you have people come in and out of your life outside of your control. It is not fun, and it is not easy, and I was not happy either.

But above all, you say you're going to kill yourself if you lose your fiance? That is NOT healthy. You should really look into therapy. You need to have your own self-worth. You need to place value in yourself. It is not healthy at all to base your value on how other people see you.

Demonic Hunter

Blackrose_Knight
Yes, of course. In fact, I think you NEED to be happy alone, and find yourself before you can fully contribute to a relationship. If you aren't happy with you, how can you expect to feel happy around others?
This this this this I can't say it enough ^^^^^^^^^^

4,700 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Its very possible. Its not easy but definately possible. You have gotta love yourself though and you gotta have a dream and passion to wake up too. A person alone with no goal or direction will not be truly happy.

And I honestly believe you cannot be fully happy with just love alone. Yes it helps, and yes it can amplify happiness. But without some life in yourself, something that drives you to be the best you can be, you just wont be COMPLETELY fulfilled.

S m u s h a's Husband

Proxy Fatcat

i love companionship too much to be alone
I prefer being alone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items