Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Phantom

nig stole my bike again
Frantic Search
I don't have any solid proof but from what I've learned in sex ed, it's supposedly true among young teenagers. From my personal experience, in middle school girls tended to take their grades more seriously while the guys just fooled around. That's the only example I can think of though.

that is likely our education system failing boys more than them being immature. it'd be premature to use that as proof especially before looking at schools in the u.s. as a whole and even schools in other countries.

Education system failing boys? Could you expand on that?
Girls care a lot more than boys about grades in elementary and middle school, but once high school started it was completely equal.
Frantic Search
nig stole my bike again
Frantic Search
I don't have any solid proof but from what I've learned in sex ed, it's supposedly true among young teenagers. From my personal experience, in middle school girls tended to take their grades more seriously while the guys just fooled around. That's the only example I can think of though.

that is likely our education system failing boys more than them being immature. it'd be premature to use that as proof especially before looking at schools in the u.s. as a whole and even schools in other countries.

Education system failing boys? Could you expand on that?
Girls care a lot more than boys about grades in elementary and middle school, but once high school started it was completely equal.

what i mean is a lot of schools are ignoring the needs of boys. i'm hesitant to say that grades is a reliable indicator of emotional maturity.
where did you read that girls care about grades more than boys?

Interesting Phantom

nig stole my bike again

what i mean is a lot of schools are ignoring the needs of boys. i'm hesitant to say that grades is a reliable indicator of emotional maturity.

It's not about doing well, it's about prioritizing grades. It's only a personal example from my life that young girls prioritized grades more; I'm not saying it's applicable everywhere.
In many videos I've watched in sex ed however, along with what my teachers have said, boys "supposedly" are supposed to mature slower because they start puberty later. More emphasis was put on physically maturing faster. (ie. Girls would be taller than boys.)
Frantic Search
nig stole my bike again

It's not about doing well, it's about prioritizing grades. It's only a personal example from my life that young girls prioritized grades more; I'm not saying it's applicable everywhere.
In many videos I've watched in sex ed however, along with what my teachers have said, boys "supposedly" are supposed to mature slower because they start puberty later. More emphasis was put on physically maturing faster. (ie. Girls would be taller than boys.)

right, i'm not denying the physical maturation. i'm just talking about one gender acting more mature and in my experience, i haven't seen that. just individual differences.

Interesting Phantom

nig stole my bike again

But if you're talking about emotional maturity in general, I don't believe girls mature faster than boys. I'm thinking that girls let their emotions control them a lot, and guys have a tendency to bottle up emotions unhealthily.
RAGE_CAPS
While it varies from person to person, I think one reason for the whole 'girls mature faster' is that girls are told to stop being so irrational like that, but boys will be boys. We're told to just put on our big girl panties but guys are just excused for that because we already face the whole 'it's expected for you to be the bigger person' dilemma. Plus, automatically, if a girl has any type of reaction, she's automatically on her period so she is being ridiculous and can't be emotional at all.

Lol u srs?

I wish women were told to not be so irrational. It would be good and healthy for everybody. Unfortunately saying anything at all towards women that is perceived as pejorative is met with calls of "misogynist!", "you just need to get laid" that's an example of women's shining rationality at play.
Here's my answer to your question OP.

I wouldn't just say that women become more mature at a younger age than men, but women in general are more mature than men.

That's because women at their core are conformists and anti-existentialists/individualists. The vast majority of women simply conform to whatever is socially acceptable. Emotional maturity is just a list of subjective opinions we have as a society, and since women conform more than men do, they will put more effort into conforming to societies expectations and less on thinking for themselves and following their own path (I.E. being an existentialist, like many men are).

Men are far more existentialist, individualistic, and rebellious than women because there's a lot more men who think for themselves than women.

So yeah there's going to be a lot more men who are considered immature because a lot more men go against the expectations of their peers, something that cannot be said about women by any objective/serious person.

Of course if you define emotional maturity as someone who doesn't have a hive-mind, thinks for themselves, and builds their own principles, morals, and worldview, then I'd say that virtually excludes women of possibly being emotionally mature. Of course women can possibly be emotionally mature by this definition, but they just choose not to because they are cowards who are scared to death of being judged by their peers in a negative way.

Eternal Shade

11,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
While it varies from person to person and area to area girls are often held responsible for their actions more often as children than boys their age.

I remember in 6th or 7th grade I bit a kid who had pushed me down and was trying to kick me. He didn't get in trouble, I did. My cousins who are male almost never got in trouble for any of their shenanigans, anything from back talking teachers or just being dicks to other students, meanwhile my cousins who are female almost always seem to be in trouble with the school for some petty thing. Like a teacher saw a strap on a tank top under a light jacket or button up or their bra strap slipped down and they didn't notice.

But like I said it varies. Some parents try to raise their children to be mature regardless of gender and some teachers try to enforce the rules regardless of gender.
GoneCrazyResurrected
RAGE_CAPS
While it varies from person to person, I think one reason for the whole 'girls mature faster' is that girls are told to stop being so irrational like that, but boys will be boys. We're told to just put on our big girl panties but guys are just excused for that because we already face the whole 'it's expected for you to be the bigger person' dilemma. Plus, automatically, if a girl has any type of reaction, she's automatically on her period so she is being ridiculous and can't be emotional at all.

Lol u srs?

I wish women were told to not be so irrational. It would be good and healthy for everybody. Unfortunately saying anything at all towards women that is perceived as pejorative is met with calls of "misogynist!", "you just need to get laid" that's an example of women's shining rationality at play.

Did you get curved by a girl?
nig stole my bike again
GoneCrazyResurrected
RAGE_CAPS

Lol u srs?

Did you get curved by a girl?

What does that even mean?

Speak proper and respectable English please, not garbage English that can be found on reality TV shows.

Fashionable Ladykiller

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Signature Look 250
GoneCrazyResurrected
RAGE_CAPS

Lol u srs?

Eh, I know that women also have a lot of bad examples for how that's untrue, but do you remember at all growing up when girls were told to be more lady-like, more feminine, and more sit-there-and-be-pretty?

I definitely try to be a great person and constantly improve myself, but I do know that when I'm at my wits end with people and I do finally freak out because of them, I'm automatically on my period and my emotions are invalid and I need to calm down.

I admit that women are ******** nuts when they're encouraged to be, just as men. I don't talk to a lot of them because they're the reasons misogyny is alive. If they would just stop making everything so complicated by acting like animals while being expected to be treated as a princess, I'd have more friends. I moved back in with my mom because I didn't kiss the a** of this one girl because she was doing just that.

But I do notice that girls act that way during emotional parts in their lives. I noticed guys act more appropriate during emotional parts of their lives, but when everything is going wonderful for them, they can be the absolute worse. Very inappropriate and expected to be. I stopped walking to work so I no longer feel the need to carry pepper spray with me. That's how inappropriate.

I think it definitely does have to do with puberty, because after a certain age most people are great, or they're horrible but they don't act like that around me, but I'll imagine they're great. But I do very strongly feel that there is a mindset that guys are allowed all this stupid s**t, and they get away with it, but a girl can't because she's batshit insane. That is the double standard I fully support.

No hard feelings.

Hygienic Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Over Easy 100
  • Hygienic 200
GoneCrazyResurrected
Here's my answer to your question OP.

I wouldn't just say that women become more mature at a younger age than men, but women in general are more mature than men.

That's because women at their core are conformists and anti-existentialists/individualists. The vast majority of women simply conform to whatever is socially acceptable. Emotional maturity is just a list of subjective opinions we have as a society, and since women conform more than men do, they will put more effort into conforming to societies expectations and less on thinking for themselves and following their own path (I.E. being an existentialist, like many men are).

Men are far more existentialist, individualistic, and rebellious than women because there's a lot more men who think for themselves than women.

So yeah there's going to be a lot more men who are considered immature because a lot more men go against the expectations of their peers, something that cannot be said about women by any objective/serious person.

Of course if you define emotional maturity as someone who doesn't have a hive-mind, thinks for themselves, and builds their own principles, morals, and worldview, then I'd say that virtually excludes women of possibly being emotionally mature. Of course women can possibly be emotionally mature by this definition, but they just choose not to because they are cowards who are scared to death of being judged by their peers in a negative way.

I have to agree with this.
I'm an adult female and I have the emotional maturity of a seven year old boy.

I've not met many girls more emotionally mature than boys of the same age.

Chatty Codger

6,775 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I have yet to see actual evidence of this.

Girl

nig stole my bike again
Raven Winter
Every individual is different, so no.

Yeah, I agree. I also think girls tend to overstate how mature they are.

THIS. I don't see guys do it as much as girls.

I find that those who brag about how "mature" they are constantly don't turn out to be very mature. Sometimes it's quite the opposite.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff