Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Genius

Posties
Infinite Possibility
Posties
I'll give you the television, however i will not retract the addiction.

Also; have you ever listened to a feminist talk?
I have listened to a feminist talk, and I claim to be a better feminist than any other on the basis that I don't discriminate upon sex and I can form an agenda.
How about a couple more examples of not caring: Exon. Halliburton.

And of course Addiction/addicts still stands strong.

Distinct Poster

Infinite Possibility
Posties
Infinite Possibility
Posties
I'll give you the television, however i will not retract the addiction.

Also; have you ever listened to a feminist talk?
I have listened to a feminist talk, and I claim to be a better feminist than any other on the basis that I don't discriminate upon sex and I can form an agenda.
How about a couple more examples of not caring: Exon. Halliburton.

And of course Addiction/addicts still stands strong.
Addiction, addicts care very much. If you create an example you will end up caring indeliberately. But you can try if you want. surprised

Greedy Grabber

I think a lot of people claim that they don't care, but do to some degree.

6,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
It really depends on the situation.
But if it's something petty, then not so much.
Posties
I have heard everyone say "Well, I don't care what people think."
Apathy is a response, you don't care, because you acknowledged the opposition which means initially you do/did and may still care.
Conclusively is it possible to not care? and examine the opposition(Which is the process of becoming apathetic towards a specific thing.)

Or does it depend on severity, does a small amount of not caring equate to caring?
Do you or do you not care?

I've found that the vast majority of people say that they do not care what people think of them. Yet I've also found that in people's behavior, most people have a very strong sensitivity when it comes to what their peers think of them. So people are contradicting their words with their actual personality and actions.

However, I'm not saying that these people know that they are lying to themselves. In fact these people who say "I don't care what people think of me" could be lying to themselves while simultaenously convinced that they actually really don't care what people think of them.

It's a part of human pyschology that's been developed through evolutionary history. Human beings are social creatures and we've evolved by being ones, and thus we've developed social defense mechanisms. One is lying, humans are good at lying (In fact human beings are the only creatures that can lie if we strictly stick to the idea that you can only lie if you have command over a linguistic language). The reason being is that evolutionary biologists believe that humans who lied to their peers had a better chance to survive and reproduce than humans who did not lie (or weren't good liers).

The best way to be a good lier is to be good at self deception, the reason is is because if you're convinced of your own lie, then you will not produce body language and a tone of voice that implies you are being dishonest, and most communication is done through these two vehicles.

How am I connecting this to people saying "I don't care what other people think of me?" Well again, I think this goes back to the fact that human beings are social creatures. A common trait that alpha creatures have in a certain pack is that they tend to not care what others think of them, well at least they are less sensitive to it than the other beta members of the tribe. So that's why I believe that people who say "I don't care what other people think of me" is actually people trying to increase their social status and social worth. They are trying to send a message to others that they are unique, or they are more alpha, they are a leader, etc, etc.

As to the question of whether I care about what people think of me, well I personally would say yes I do care. But my actions may say otherwise, lets take a look at my actions. I don't have any friends online or offline (none), in real life when people get to know me they will notice and point out that I do many things that are eccentric, and I also don't bathe very often as well, I only shower about once a week.

So actually my behavior actually says two things (or perhaps I'm making a false dichotomy) either I don't care very much about what people think of me, or I'm depressed and have some psychological problem. I mean for example with the information about my actions I've provided, one could think of the possibility that I actually am very sensitive to what people think of me, and as a result I am a shut in and don't socialize with people.

It's up to you though to pick which one you think is true about me, and I think which one you choose to pick says something about yourself.

pzazz's Fav

Mage

I think it's not that they don't care, if someone is making fun of them, it's just bothersome. Some people can be annoyed by it, but not care about that persons opinion. Other people can lie and say they don't care, where in reality, they actually do.
Silence_Walker
This is possibly the most meta thread I have ever encountered.
At first, I was like "Why yes, It is possible to not care, I am a sociopath!"
and then, I noticed that the OP was conflating "care" and "take interest in"
And I was like, "To take interest in means you typically like something, or something fascinates you, but that doesn't necessarily mean you care about its well-being."

i.e. I think people with alternative lifestyles are fascinating to learn about (like aliens or exotic animals)
However, their well-being and continued existence is of no importance, concern or emotional impact to me.
(That's more or less just people in general, but I applied it to this specific situation for clarity)
So I moved on from that, and saw this lovely paradox:
Posties
but in order to not care you must be interested, being interested means you do care.

And then it hit me:
OP created a thread wherein we all argue for the existence of non-caring, and as a result we end up caring about a debate that says we can't not care while we argue that we don't but we do.

Mind=blown
Well played, OP. Well played.

There's one flaw in your analysis though. A person could debate with other people intensely while simultaneously not caring what people think.

The reason is because what happens if this person cared deeply about the truth and having a good reason to believe in something. One way to get to the truth is to argue with other people, something that is focused on very much in Plato's books known as Socratic dialogue. Plato's point is that we can learn and grow by arguing with other people.

So arguing with people doesn't automatically mean that you care what people think, in theory you could only be interested in the ideas within the arguments and you could have no interest in the fact that the person you're talking to believes in X idea or Y idea. You could in theory only be interested in figuring out whether what you believe is valid or not, and whether or not there are good arguments to be made against your own beliefs. One way to figure out whether your beliefs are justified or not is to argue with other people.

Noob

Honestly, I don't even care. Whether someone compliments or disses me, I just don't give a s**t.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
It does depend on the situation I guess. When I say I don't care I truely don't because half the time I missed what ever it I was supposed to care about. Ignorance is bliss. One of my friends pointed out that this girl was looking at me funny as I walked out the class room. I didn't see her, so I didn't care. If I had seen her I would probably have asked myself wtf is her problem. I wouldn't have got all bent out of shape about it like my friend however.

Distinct Poster

Gonecrazy12345
Silence_Walker
This is possibly the most meta thread I have ever encountered.
At first, I was like "Why yes, It is possible to not care, I am a sociopath!"
and then, I noticed that the OP was conflating "care" and "take interest in"
And I was like, "To take interest in means you typically like something, or something fascinates you, but that doesn't necessarily mean you care about its well-being."

i.e. I think people with alternative lifestyles are fascinating to learn about (like aliens or exotic animals)
However, their well-being and continued existence is of no importance, concern or emotional impact to me.
(That's more or less just people in general, but I applied it to this specific situation for clarity)
So I moved on from that, and saw this lovely paradox:
Posties
but in order to not care you must be interested, being interested means you do care.

And then it hit me:
OP created a thread wherein we all argue for the existence of non-caring, and as a result we end up caring about a debate that says we can't not care while we argue that we don't but we do.

Mind=blown
Well played, OP. Well played.

There's one flaw in your analysis though. A person could debate with other people intensely while simultaneously not caring what people think.

The reason is because what happens if this person cared deeply about the truth and having a good reason to believe in something. One way to get to the truth is to argue with other people, something that is focused on very much in Plato's books known as Socratic dialogue. Plato's point is that we can learn and grow by arguing with other people.

So arguing with people doesn't automatically mean that you care what people think, in theory you could only be interested in the ideas within the arguments and you could have no interest in the fact that the person you're talking to believes in X idea or Y idea. You could in theory only be interested in figuring out whether what you believe is valid or not, and whether or not there are good arguments to be made against your own beliefs. One way to figure out whether your beliefs are justified or not is to argue with other people.
You care about your knowledge, and the way you obtain your knowledge which this happens to be through another person, therefor you care about that person and his/her information regardless of the initiative. To validate your information through someone else does imply you care about there information because the claimed "not caring person" holds uncertainty. If you didn't care about there information then you wouldn't need to debate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff