Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you type like this, why do you do it?

Laziness 0.30769230769231 30.8% [ 12 ]
Sounds cute 0.1025641025641 10.3% [ 4 ]
Used to it 0.17948717948718 17.9% [ 7 ]
English isn't the primary language 0.1025641025641 10.3% [ 4 ]
lolwtfnewb! u r so fnny! 0.30769230769231 30.8% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

I do believe that this is the correct place to post this...if not, let me know.

I've noticed an ASTONISHING level of stupidity and laziness on Gaia lately. I rarely come on, and this is one of the reasons. there are some people who do it to be cute, others to be lazy, and even more *shudder* who think it's right.

To type 'u' instead of 'you' and 'y' instead of 'why', is just atrocious. I was in class recently...COLLEGE mind you. And when we traded papers, the person whose paper I received was FULL of this. Because they did not know how to type correctly. They thought it was correct.

That sickens and disgusts me. It's not HARD to type out 'why' or 'you' or anything like that. On a cell phone...okay, I can see it. That's fine. But when they have the TIME to type it out, why don't they? It just makes them sound stupid and childish.

*watches the English language and grammar and spelling circle the drain...*

Unsealed Sentai

20,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
  • Partygoer 500
I'll tell you what's worse. When people tYpE lIkE tHiS. Sheesh, it's annoying. Took me 5 times longer to type that than it should have. I don't get how they do it. Chatspeak in mass is hard to read and very annoying. I think a lot of people do it to tick people off. (I bet you'll get quite a few posts like that.) Anyway, no, it's no necessary. It just shows laziness over the internet. Laziness to a lazier extent i suppose.
They think it's cool and they think that being dumb these days are "in".
They also think that they're not going to need proper grammar and spelling in real life. Of course not, when you're in a fast food place or being a janitor, that is.

Unsealed Sentai

20,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
  • Partygoer 500
Sobria Inebrietas XX
They think it's cool and they think that being dumb these days are "in".
They also think that they're not going to need proper grammar and spelling in real life. Of course not, when you're in a fast food place or being a janitor, that is.
That apparently is what's in. Everyone in my school that's socially accepted cheats to get through anything or just plain does nothing. I mean, I admit I cheat too but only cuz I'm handed the answers. Anyway, just consider yerself thinking on a higher level when you see it. wink
You know what I hate more? Grammar Nazis.

Oh, and by the way, it's called Netspeak not Interspeak.
Ahem, you didn't capitalize "there" in your fourth sentence... xD Jk jk
sometimes it's just easier & a BIT faster to type that out if you're talking to a bunch of people at once online, but for college stuff? gonk
Yeah, its ridiculous.
It makes them look like idiots.

I Also Hate When People Capitalize Every Single Word In A Sentence 0r u5e numb3rs inst34d 0f l3tt3r5.
D;
I only use Netspeak in major sarcasm quotes along with capslock and deliberate misspelling, usually to note the stupidity of a certain party.

Example in context: I dislike it when people have this "LYK OMG I AM FAMUS ON THE INTARWEBS!" vibe about them.
vernanonix
That apparently is what's in. Everyone in my school that's socially accepted cheats to get through anything or just plain does nothing. I mean, I admit I cheat too but only cuz I'm handed the answers. Anyway, just consider yerself thinking on a higher level when you see it. wink

Hmm. I suppose I'm in thinking on a higher level right now, eh?
I don't cheat. If I don't know it, then I don't know it. I deal with the consequences rather than finding a loophole. You know, that's not a very good reason for cheating -- "[being] handed the papers". I mean, you could just ignore it.
lolsman

Oh, any by the way, it's called Netspeak not Interspeak.

"and" biggrin
Hate me now, lolsman.
Sobria Inebrietas XX
lolsman

"and" biggrin
Hate me now, lolsman.

Oh ********, I missed my d key. I guess I forgot the home row position there for a second.

Unsealed Sentai

20,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hero 100
  • Partygoer 500
Sobria Inebrietas XX
vernanonix

Hmm. I suppose I'm in thinking on a higher level right now, eh?
I don't cheat. If I don't know it, then I don't know it. I deal with the consequences rather than finding a loophole. You know, that's not a very good reason for cheating -- "[being] handed the papers". I mean, you could just ignore it.
Well, if you hear people say the answers, can you really help it? It's still cheating but do you choose the wrong answers because you heard the right ones? Anyway, I use a few abbreviated forms of words. But seriously, there are people much worse than me. xP
lolsman
Sobria Inebrietas XX
lolsman

"and" biggrin
Hate me now, lolsman.

Oh f**k, I missed my d key. I guess I forgot the home row position there for a second.

How can you forget? It's one of the most used letters? Just look at what I just typed. biggrin
It doesn't bother me. Even I sometimes use it if I'm in a hurry, or if I'm tired. True it doesn't make your post look serious, and it kinda undermines the English language, but as long as I can read and understand it, and its , its ok. I guess theres a time and a place for netspeak. I wouldn't use it while posting a serious postor debate,but its ok when talking to friends or in non serious topics
vernanonix

Well, if you hear people say the answers, can you really help it? It's still cheating but do you choose the wrong answers because you heard the right ones? Anyway, I use a few abbreviated forms of words. But seriously, there are people much worse than me. xP

Oh. I can relate now, sort of. I guess that would be all right. I can't cheat in any of my classes since it's either really quiet or they're whispering the wrong answers. stare Yes, I know there are a lot of people worse than you. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff