Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
So, I have a problem...or rather my sister does. She is biracial (black and white), and we live in a predominantly white city. It's not really a problem. People here aren't extremely racist. They are more along the lines of ignorant without meaning to be hurtful. Anyway, my sister usually tends to lean towards white guys. It's just who she is attracted to, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, right? Well, everytime she goes out in public with a boyfriend, she comes home really upset because of comments made to her and her particular boyfriend. Oddly enough, it comes mostly from black men. They tell her a bunch of stupid s**t like she is betraying her race. The oddest thing about this, though, is that most of these men that do this to her date white women. Sometimes they even give the guy she is with threats. Not death threats or anything, just threats of kicking his as or '******** him up.' It takes a toll on her relationships, and causes most of them to end as fast as they start. She is really softspoken and shy. Is there anything I can do for her to make things better?

Liberal Lunatic

Doodieballsdotcom
So, I have a problem...or rather my sister does. She is biracial (black and white), and we live in a predominantly white city. It's not really a problem. People here aren't extremely racist. They are more along the lines of ignorant without meaning to be hurtful. Anyway, my sister usually tends to lean towards white guys. It's just who she is attracted to, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, right? Well, everytime she goes out in public with a boyfriend, she comes home really upset because of comments made to her and her particular boyfriend. Oddly enough, it comes mostly from black men. They tell her a bunch of stupid s**t like she is betraying her race. The oddest thing about this, though, is that most of these men that do this to her date white women. Sometimes they even give the guy she is with threats. Not death threats or anything, just threats of kicking his as or '******** him up.' It takes a toll on her relationships, and causes most of them to end as fast as they start. She is really softspoken and shy. Is there anything I can do for her to make things better?

People still do this? Wow. This whole blacks who date interacially hating on other blacks who do it was popular when I was growing up, but I was hoping it would have died down by now. Guess not. There's nothing she really can do, but ignore them. Don't let them ruin your relationship. Those people are sick in the head and are dating interacially for the wrong reasons. Maybe tell her to hug or kiss her boyfriend next time they do it?
Doodieballsdotcom

Believe me. I am black and boyfriend is white and cuban and we get comments. Mostly from the black population. We get stares from whites of course. But, Black people are more blatant about it. They dont even try to hide the disgust on their face.

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
SakiOhMa
Doodieballsdotcom

People still do this? Wow. This whole blacks who date interacially hating on other blacks who do it was popular when I was growing up, but I was hoping it would have died down by now. Guess not. There's nothing she really can do, but ignore them. Don't let them ruin your relationship. Those people are sick in the head and are dating interacially for the wrong reasons. Maybe tell her to hug or kiss her boyfriend next time they do it?

I'll be sure to tell her to try it. ^^ The guy she is with right now is really nice and outgoing, so I'm sure he'll be all for it. She, on the other hand, takes a little more time to get out of her shell but I'm sure she'll try it.

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Ame Sol
Doodieballsdotcom

Believe me. I am black and boyfriend is white and cuban and we get comments. Mostly from the black population. We get stares from whites of course. But, Black people are more blatant about it. They dont even try to hide the disgust on their face.

I think one of the funniest things about it is that she is half white, so how exactly is she 'betraying her race' if she is both black and white. Also, there is no such thing as betraying one's race, because we are all people. Sadly, there are more than enough people who look at a person's skin color to judge who they are as a person. sad
Doodieballsdotcom
Ame Sol
Doodieballsdotcom

I think one of the funniest things about it is that she is half white, so how exactly is she 'betraying her race' if she is both black and white. Also, there is no such thing as betraying one's race, because we are all people. Sadly, there are more than enough people who look at a person's skin color to judge who they are as a person. sad

Ame and Saki are right. Tell her to not worry about what they think, and kissing and hugging in front of ignorant people can be quite fun. At the end of the day, they are the ones that need to be felt sorry for.

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Metheshrew
Doodieballsdotcom
Ame Sol
Doodieballsdotcom

Ame and Saki are right. Tell her to not worry about what they think, and kissing and hugging in front of ignorant people can be quite fun. At the end of the day, they are the ones that need to be felt sorry for.

Thanks, you guys.

Anxious Girl

Doodieballsdotcom

Well see, me, being the snarky overly sarcastic ball of fun that I am,
turn to the guys that make comments and say,
"Well, you see the way that you're acting?
Yeah, my sweetie's not rude like that."
Then I flash a smile and carry on canoodling.
Caramel Kisses
Doodieballsdotcom

Well see, me, being the snarky overly sarcastic ball of fun that I am,
turn to the guys that make comments and say,
"Well, you see the way that you're acting?
Yeah, my sweetie's not rude like that."
Then I flash a smile and carry on canoodling.

That's exactly what I would do. 3nodding xd

4,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I definitely support. I myself am a crazy mix of things. I'm black, white, and Italian. That's just what I know, though. I'm attracted to someone of any skin color as long as they're not creepy pale.

heart

1,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Only 42 likes? Really? This thread deserves more than just 42 likes.

Beloved Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
User Image
♥Julie Says://♥

Yeah...first time posting. The other night I noticed Metheshrew's siggy and got curious.
This may entertain some of you and others it might be too long but this is somewhat my story.
Skip to the bottom part if you're too lazy to read.

As a child my parents didn't really let me out and socialize with people until I was almost six and a half. So I only knew my parents and close family members. I didn't understand color because my dad's half of the family is Hispanic (as in Spain) and Native American (two different tribes, one of the darker ones and one of the tribes that had white white skin) and my mom's half was Latin (from Mexico but were of the nearly pure European variety) and were also part Native American also (the ones that are like medium toned). So my mom looks almost white and my dad is very dark (as a child if I tanned enough in the summer I could pass for a black person).
Some of my cousin's were part Irish and such so they looked white and some were darker like us (basically until recently we had a lot of races in the family except black and as far as I know Asian).
Eventually when I did start going outside I didn't understand what races were or that the different colors meant different like areas of the world and such.
So to me black, white, Mexican, Hispanic, Asian and stuff were all the same. We all just had different features.
The town where I grew up is mostly white people though or whited out races like Asian people who act white. Eventually I discovered through them and school that races did exist and I just shrugged it off.
When I hit puberty though these two girls used to call me the n word and stuff and I didn't understand. Since I did hit puberty I've been called a lot of racist names, not that I really care but half the time they're calling me the wrong race so I just think of how stupid they are.

But as it starts here, I've always been attracted to white or at least white looking guys. Unfortunately nobody where I lived was willing to date someone with imperfect features or that didn't dress up and do their makeup all the time so I didn't really date all that much.
I stopped going outside because I have a skin disorder that if I'm exposed to sunlight for too long it super dries out my skin and it starts bubbling so I've become lighter over the years.
About two years ago though I met this cute guy (lol my boyfriend now) on Gaia and we hit it off. Long story short we were separated by 1500+ miles and I had decided to come up here to be with him.
When I discussed it with my Aunt she began making racist comments that because its Oregon that white people wouldn't like me and would be racist and that no one would accept our relationship.
Honestly nothing had hurt me more than her saying those types of things.
Most of my family has wanted me to settle down with a Hispanic or Mexican. Because my grandmother believed to keep it within similar races. My cousins who are closer to my age told me not to listen. Our generation has been branching out into dating different races and have been quite happy once we find the person we click with.
The problem is though that even my own dad doesn't like the fact I'm dating someone white (my mom could care less because she's been everywhere already.) And growing up in my family (we're not actually racist mind you) we make racial jokes about every race. We apologize if we offend anyone but basically we just trade off jokes about that sort of thing, it can be an ice breaker.

Blegh so spazzy about writing this but in short
Native American/Hispanic/Latina dating a White (of several white races but still) boy.
This disturbs people for some reason and I can't understand why.

♥ Julie
I'm white with mostly German descent and my long-term boyfriend is Mexican and Japanese, his mother coming from Okinawa and father from a small town in Mexico.

My mother loves him but my dad is a racist hick, and has referred to him as an "ugly Mexican" among other things.

Needless to say, I support. But it's not like interracial dating is catching a whole lot of heat from the public anymore.
Little Motel
I'm white with mostly German descent and my long-term boyfriend is Mexican and Japanese, his mother coming from Okinawa and father from a small town in Mexico.

My mother loves him but my dad is a racist hick, and has referred to him as an "ugly Mexican" among other things.

Needless to say, I support. But it's not like interracial dating is catching a whole lot of heat from the public anymore.

It depends, really. In the town I live in, my family gets stares and every once in a while an offensive comment. All in all, it's not so bad. There are, however, still instances of people being bullied or physically and emotionally hurt because they choose to date someone of a different ethnicity or are two or more ethnicities themselves. There was even a minister in Louisiana who wouldn't marry a couple, because he was 'thinking about the children' (which makes me wonder how many biracial people he knows to base his assumption that they have a harder life than everyone else).
Princess Julia Of Heart
User Image
♥Julie Says://♥

Yeah...first time posting. The other night I noticed Metheshrew's siggy and got curious.
This may entertain some of you and others it might be too long but this is somewhat my story.
Skip to the bottom part if you're too lazy to read.

As a child my parents didn't really let me out and socialize with people until I was almost six and a half. So I only knew my parents and close family members. I didn't understand color because my dad's half of the family is Hispanic (as in Spain) and Native American (two different tribes, one of the darker ones and one of the tribes that had white white skin) and my mom's half was Latin (from Mexico but were of the nearly pure European variety) and were also part Native American also (the ones that are like medium toned). So my mom looks almost white and my dad is very dark (as a child if I tanned enough in the summer I could pass for a black person).
Some of my cousin's were part Irish and such so they looked white and some were darker like us (basically until recently we had a lot of races in the family except black and as far as I know Asian).
Eventually when I did start going outside I didn't understand what races were or that the different colors meant different like areas of the world and such.
So to me black, white, Mexican, Hispanic, Asian and stuff were all the same. We all just had different features.
The town where I grew up is mostly white people though or whited out races like Asian people who act white. Eventually I discovered through them and school that races did exist and I just shrugged it off.
When I hit puberty though these two girls used to call me the n word and stuff and I didn't understand. Since I did hit puberty I've been called a lot of racist names, not that I really care but half the time they're calling me the wrong race so I just think of how stupid they are.

But as it starts here, I've always been attracted to white or at least white looking guys. Unfortunately nobody where I lived was willing to date someone with imperfect features or that didn't dress up and do their makeup all the time so I didn't really date all that much.
I stopped going outside because I have a skin disorder that if I'm exposed to sunlight for too long it super dries out my skin and it starts bubbling so I've become lighter over the years.
About two years ago though I met this cute guy (lol my boyfriend now) on Gaia and we hit it off. Long story short we were separated by 1500+ miles and I had decided to come up here to be with him.
When I discussed it with my Aunt she began making racist comments that because its Oregon that white people wouldn't like me and would be racist and that no one would accept our relationship.
Honestly nothing had hurt me more than her saying those types of things.
Most of my family has wanted me to settle down with a Hispanic or Mexican. Because my grandmother believed to keep it within similar races. My cousins who are closer to my age told me not to listen. Our generation has been branching out into dating different races and have been quite happy once we find the person we click with.
The problem is though that even my own dad doesn't like the fact I'm dating someone white (my mom could care less because she's been everywhere already.) And growing up in my family (we're not actually racist mind you) we make racial jokes about every race. We apologize if we offend anyone but basically we just trade off jokes about that sort of thing, it can be an ice breaker.

Blegh so spazzy about writing this but in short
Native American/Hispanic/Latina dating a White (of several white races but still) boy.
This disturbs people for some reason and I can't understand why.

♥ Julie

I was actually just in Oregon (we were passing through on our way to Seattle). I don't remember running into any racist people. In fact, people were actually pretty nice. When we stopped in Grants Pass we didn't see a lot of people of color, but no one seemed to be bothered by our skin color or the fact that my mother is white. It just goes to show that you can't believe what anyone says until you experience something yourself.
As for your aunt, sometimes people who are used to things going a certain way get a little uncomfortable when things don't go as planned. My mother grew up in Gettysburg PA. My grandmother was a racist, or at least she thought she was. She didn't approve of my dad at first, but then she grew to love him. It turned out that she wasn't really racist at all. She just wasn't used to someone in the family dating someone who wasn't white. When you grow up in a small town like Gettysburg, I think it's a little harder to realize that people who look different are really no more different than you are. Now, the last time we visited Gettysburg we were greeted by A LOT of stares, and they were not nice stares. I was very uncomfortable at first, but then I realized they were just like my grandma. They weren't used to seeing a family like mine, so they were just not comfortable with what they saw. I can guarantee, however, that if they took the time to get to know us like my grandma got to know my dad they'd have no problem with us.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff