Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dainty Doll

So, LD, today is International Womens' Day.

I don't know about you lot, but I'd never even heard of this day before.

Apparantly, it's a day for... uh... woman-ness.

Now, I could understand if we still lived in a time when people were not treated equally or respected, but do we really need an International Womens' Day?
We no longer live in a Patriarchal society, so if we're going to have a Womens' Day, we might as well have a Mens' Day, too, right?

I suppose that in my own opinion (feel free to disagree with me, if you like) International Womens' Day is only valid because it is International; and by that, I mean that we don't really need a Womens' Day in Britain or America or Australia, but to raise awareness or to actvely try to improve the situation of women who are still oppressed as a sex in other countries, either due to lack of progression or cultural differences.

Any thoughts and opinions regarding International Womens' Day and its releavance?
It's contradicting of what women want.

"Equality! We want to be equal to men!" Sure you can be equal, but then you come and throw a Women's only day? Then give us a men's day too.

Dainty Doll

Okutai

"Equality! We want to be equal to men!" Sure you can be equal, but then you come and throw a Women's only day? Then give us a men's day too.

Only within Western civilisation.

Many Eastern countries still don't have equal rights for women.
No, I've never heard of it mad

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Tute Sweet

I suppose that in my own opinion (feel free to disagree with me, if you like) International Womens' Day is only valid because it is International; and by that, I mean that we don't really need a Womens' Day in Britain or America or Australia, but to raise awareness or to actvely try to improve the situation of women who are still oppressed as a sex in other countries, either due to lack of progression or cultural differences.

Any thoughts and opinions regarding International Womens' Day and its releavance?

That's a very valid point!
Tute Sweet
Okutai

Western civilisation? Damn. Must be why it's legal to have a woman only law firm but not a men only law firm. Must also be why there are tribunals specifically made to deal with discrimination against women. But men? Nope. Our problems just aren't politically tasty enough to warrant the funding of a specified tribunal.

Dainty Doll

Contagious Cure
Tute Sweet
Okutai

Western civilisation? Damn. Must be why it's legal to have a woman only law firm but not a men only law firm. Must also be why there are tribunals specifically made to deal with discrimination against women. But men? Nope. Our problems just aren't politically tasty enough to warrant the funding of a specified tribunal.

Of course there's an awful lot of "positive discrimination*", but that's to be expected; it's backlash.

The same way in which you can have an employment policy that states that X amount of your employees must be racial minorities, but you can't have an employment policy that states how many of your employees should be Caucasian.

It's unfair, but as a society we are still developing, in time it will even out.

*A term that personally I do not like.
Okutai

That happens with practically every minority or discriminated group. They make things even, yet still expect special treatment.
Still though, how sad that women have done this. I mean, girl power and all, but who even came up with it?
I bet it was a MAN <.<
'Ohhh, the little ladies are getting huffy again, lets give them a day for themselves. They can go get facials.'

Other than this utterly biased and useless comment, however...(mine...not the one I quoted...)
I've only heard of it briefly once before.
Us aussies are too obsessed with aboriginal rights to worry about women.
Does that mean I have an excuse to make my parents give me money to go shopping and say Im celebrating it?
Has anybody actually tried to make an International Men's Day?
Tute Sweet
Contagious Cure
Tute Sweet
Okutai

Of course there's an awful lot of "positive discrimination*", but that's to be expected; it's backlash.

The same way in which you can have an employment policy that states that X amount of your employees must be racial minorities, but you can't have an employment policy that states how many of your employees should be Caucasian.

It's unfair, but as a society we are still developing, in time it will even out.

*A term that personally I do not like.

Yeah, affirmative action is great. Nothing better than collective rights trumping individual rights.
It sounds annoying. confused
Hm, not sure if it's really needed.

But then are the rest of them? Do we really need Black History Month? Or Woman's Day?

They all go by a bit un-noticed now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces