Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
User Image

Even if it doesn't look that graphic to you people here, doesn't mean it was appropriate. This was shown in a classroom to a bunch of 6 year olds. No, you can't shield them from everything, they're gonna see s**t they aren't supposed to and aren't ready for but it doesn't make this okay. Some kids aren't bothered by stuff like that at all, some wouldn't bat an eye. But some children are extremely sensitive to things like this and just aren't ready to see stuff like that until they're older. I mean you can see the planes crashing into the buildings, you can see them crumble kids know there are people in it, you can even see people jumping out of the windows. That's enough to terrify some children. Again, you can't shield your kids from everything, but it was not appropriate to show to a classroom full of 6 year olds.

Even if my child wasn't affected by it I would still be speaking to the school about it, I mean what kinds of other s**t could she be showing my kids if she thinks that's okay?

User Image

Spoopy Kitten

I dunno. My school had emergency alarms going off and we were all forced into the hall way. I lived really close to chicago at that point and all the schools near a specific building were told to take cover in case other cities were going to be attacked. I was 6 as well at that point. I wasnt allowed to see what was happening until i got home. My mom left the news on all day and told me i wasnt allowed to change the channel, but i didnt have to watch the news with her if i didnt want to. I watched some of it and asked a few questions. Some of the stuff on the news was pretty graphic, but it didnt bother me. I knew what was going on and why i had to hide in the halls at school. Hiding without knowing what was happening freaked me out more than what was on the news
The Ice Dervish
How is that too graphic? Those videos aren't even graphic, it just shows planes crashing into buildings. I was six when it happened and my teacher put it up on the television. The kid probably didn't even understand it anyway, who cares.
Raven Winter
sobacco
This Is NoMercy
Personally, I think forcing in 9/11 in schools is stupid, no matter what grade level.
I mean goddammit, can't we just move on already, it's been 13 years.

You can't deny it will be part of history though.

Only because we're gonna b***h around about it for the next hundred years.

I feel like our children's generation is just going to shrug it off, the only reason why everyone's bitching right now it's because it's "recent" enough for a lot of people to remember it & be "triggered/offended" by it.

Demonic Ally

I saw it live when I was 5 years old, it's been burned into my brain ever since, and it's probably why I'm quite patriotic.

Honestly, it's not something anyone ever should be forced to see.

Demonic Ally

The Ice Dervish
How is that too graphic? Those videos aren't even graphic, it just shows planes crashing into buildings. I was six when it happened and my teacher put it up on the television. The kid probably didn't even understand it anyway, who cares.
Do you not remember the people jumping off the buildings to avoid getting killed in the collapse.

Magical Seeker

3,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
It is a historical event. I was his age when I saw the tragic event that was happening on TV. He'll be fine, lighten up.

dazzel_almond's Senpai

User Image

As much as I wished for the happiness of one...

History event or not, 9/11 was still a pretty horrific event. I mean, how would a lot of people feel if kids were shown live footage of Vietnam under the pretense 'that it is a historical event and they need to know about it'. Historical or not, people dying/being murdered is still really scary to a little kid.

someone else must be equally cursed.

I'm such a fool.

User ImageUser Image

Invisible Gekko

9,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Go ahead and coddle your children. They won't turn into little bitches later. People these days, I swur.

Greedy Giver

maaaan my daughter is in first grade and if her teacher did that this year (which her teacher is pretty cool, I actually sat down with her for an hour and half after school one day and I couldn't see her doing that kinda s**t) BUT if she did have a teacher that did that, I would throw a ******** b***h fit, I'd march my a** down to Mrs. Principal's office (which that lady seems pretty respectful of me and my opinions esp when it comes to guiding young minds) and yeah some words would be said. Very loud words. My daughter wouldn't be in that teachers class anymore, for starters...

holy wow though, cross your fingers daddy is still away at work if that kinda BS goes down! I'm a pretty mild and mellow person and it takes a lot to provoke me, but him, well... you should have seen his reaction to hearing our girl talking about god and s**t after school last year, she said something like how since we don't believe in god we're going to go to hell, he went to catholic school and is VERY cynical of the christian religion, for good reason, and he was livid. I guess she was sitting next to a girl on the bus who was filling her head with this crap. Its a good thing our personalities balance each other out, he wanted to go to that little girls house and give her parents a piece of his mind! I chilled him out though and told him this is something she's going to have around her all her life and we need to teach her how to deal with religious fanatics and their stupid BS/seek truth/find understanding/respect peoples beliefs without accepting it as truth just because you were told so/ect, we worked it out and nobody got yelled at. Though I do admit, we had to call up the grandparents for some guidance with that one....

fact is, its MY (and my husband's) job to show our daughter the horrible truth of the world. All in good time, of course, and I never give her anything less than the truth when she asks me questions. If she was exposed to some sort of crazy patriotic graphic exposure to the events of 9/11 in school at this age, I would have a REALLY hard time explaining to her those events in a factual manner because there isn't much she would be able to comprehend. I would try anyway, she deserves that much and knowing she won't understand what I'm talking about has never stopped me in the past, but I wouldn't be able to explain this in a way she could understand because the concepts it involves are things she hasn't been introduced to. Instead, I'd have to go with a more general, blanket-explanation something along the lines of "War and suffering have always and will always be a part of the world we live in and horrible things happen to people for no good reason and there is nothing we can do about it except to never stop living our lives and filling our days with learning, love and happiness and doing everything we can to lessen the suffering of those around us. Thats something you're already really good at that, just like when you brought grandma tea when her tummy was upset, there are always people we can help but there are also always people we can't.
yeah I think she would get that...

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
6 is way to early for that kind of graphic video, She should have that teacher fired plus sue the teacher to cover any psychiatrist visits that may result in the future. ********, most 6 year olds still believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny. Let them hold on to the idea that the world is safe and beautiful, it'll be destroyed soon enough.

Beloved Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Dromias Weasels
I saw it live when I was 5 years old, it's been burned into my brain ever since, and it's probably why I'm quite patriotic.

Honestly, it's not something anyone ever should be forced to see.

Oh I think every kid in America should certainly see it, but not at six years old!

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Well...this starts coming into censorship too...but...I don't think there is a clear cut answer here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff