Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well.

Hello there, My name is Corey and im from the Southern state, Arkansas. Today was an (American) History day that was unlike any of my others. Today we learned Flag Etiquette. I have heard many stories about Americans thinking they are better then everyone else, but here in my small town, I havent heard much besides who killed what deer etc.

So, in my Class, we broke out the flags. Our teacher showed us basic flag folding, very simple. Then we went into the symbolic stuff.

eek gonk

My teacher showed us how doing each tiny thing meant something different, and then rambled on about American Supremacy with each example.

Then, she went into putting America, our Flag, and Freedom, above any, and all else. She told us how we should all put our lives on the line for our country, even if that means fighting in the street due to a bad comment on our country. Needless to say, I nearly shat bri/x/.

Now, this may not mean much to anyone, but do people in other States or Countries have to go through this?

-Corey
We learned flag ettiquette in my jROTC class.

Did you know you have to burn or bury the flag if it ever touches the ground?
Nekomaru Lupin
We learned flag ettiquette in my jROTC class.

Did you know you have to burn or bury the flag if it ever touches the ground?

Yes, we are doing a flag burning in a few weeks, since one of our flag people dropped the flag.

Fashionable Shopper

6,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
No, I was taught about the same things about a year ago. We just learned what everything meant, my teacher didnt say that we had to stand up for our country. It's our choice weather or not we want to stand for our country. It sounds like your teacher was just very patriotic and wanted your class to be the same way.
Dark Ninja Zelda
No, I was taught about the same things about a year ago. We just learned what everything meant, my teacher didnt say that we had to stand up for our country. It's our choice weather or not we want to stand for our country. It sounds like your teacher was just very patriotic and wanted your class to be the same way.

You would've had to have been there. She was going all out, even to the point of saying all Americans should be Christians due to "In God We Trust" etc.
Quote:
Hello there, My name is Corey and im from the Southern state, Arkansas.

Well theres your problem. Let me know when you evolve.
C21H26O2
Quote:

What do you mean?

Are you trying to imply that due to being born in the South, I am inferior to those of the North?
AHintofMoonlight
C21H26O2
Quote:

What do you mean?

Are you trying to imply that due to being born in the South, I am inferior to those of the North?

Uh, yeah.

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Your teacher sounds crazy. I'd question whether they should be teaching that stuff in schools.
I think Dark Ninja Zelda is right you have a very .. erm .. focused teacher. Apparently with very strong ideals. Strangely enough this isn't a bad thing since it tends to even out those with no patriotic ideals at all. Hopefully you will find a nice comfortable point somewhere in the middle.

Ironically if there was anything that a person should be obsessively proud of, it is your flag. It stands for all that your country honors, believes, and respects. It is a symbol of it's past trials and future hopes. If you can't be proud of your flag then you probably don't respect the country you live in. In that case it might be worth your while to decide what country you hold in high respect and live there. I'm NOT saying "Love it or Leave it" I'm saying that everyone should live where they feel comfortable living. Or if you don't want to move or can't think of anywhere better, then at least do what you can to make the country you live in a better place.

I have never liked the idea of having to burn a flag that has touched the ground. One of my favorate songs tells about a cities pride for a flag that has been through battles and wars and has been shot up and scuffed up and really should have been tossed out long ago but they keep saluting it because of all that it has survived.

Just remember that it isn't the flag that you are supposed to be saluting and respecting. It's the ideals that the flag stands for. It's the history that it represents. The flag itself is just a hunk of cloth. That's true for pretty much every flag of every nation.

Edit: Just ignore C21H26O2. He's obviously an idiot.
C21H26O2
Quote:

and let me know when you Freakin Grow Up!
You think just because its Arkansas or The South that people are stupid around here. As much as it sucks living down here[ it does for me] It has nothing to do about our inteligence. Take your steriotypes, and shove them up your 12 year old @$$.
TimothyPine
I think Dark Ninja Zelda is right you have a very .. erm .. focused teacher. Apparently with very strong ideals. Strangely enough this isn't a bad thing since it tends to even out those with no patriotic ideals at all. Hopefully you will find a nice comfortable point somewhere in the middle.

Ironically if there was anything that a person should be obsessively proud of, it is your flag. It stands for all that your country honors, believes, and respects. It is a symbol of it's past trials and future hopes. If you can't be proud of your flag then you probably don't respect the country you live in. In that case it might be worth your while to decide what country you hold in high respect and live there. I'm NOT saying "Love it or Leave it" I'm saying that everyone should live where they feel comfortable living. Or if you don't want to move or can't think of anywhere better, then at least do what you can to make the country you live in a better place.

I have never liked the idea of having to burn a flag that has touched the ground. One of my favorate songs tells about a cities pride for a flag that has been through battles and wars and has been shot up and scuffed up and really should have been tossed out long ago but they keep saluting it because of all that it has survived.

Just remember that it isn't the flag that you are supposed to be saluting and respecting. It's the ideals that the flag stands for. It's the history that it represents. The flag itself is just a hunk of cloth. That's true for pretty much every flag of every nation.

Edit: Just ignore C21H26O2. He's obviously an idiot.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Learning about the symbolic stuff on our Currency and Flag was pretty fun.

But when our teacher started getting all into her speech, it freaked out a few students.
Nekomaru Lupin
C21H26O2
Quote:

and let me know when you Freakin Grow Up!
You think just because its Arkansas or The South that people are stupid around here. As much as it sucks living down here[ it does for me] It has nothing to do about our inteligence. Take your steriotypes, and shove them up your 12 year old @$$.

Ooooo. Internet tough-guy huh? Way to throw out that twelve year old comment, really put me in my place. I mean, I won't point out that you capitalized things you didn't need too, the copious amount of spelling mistakes, or the fact you spelled intelligence wrong. I found that kinda ironic.

Sorry sir, heres my lunch money. emo
Sigh....materialism at its best.
x) Heh, don't feel bad, living in Arkansas does suck big time. As for the flag thing, eh so she went a little bat-s**t crazy with her patriotic side. Doesn't mean you have to believe the same thing she does. But yeah, represent the ideals it stands for if anything. O.o; Not the cloth. Otherwise, your teacher just went on a patriotic rant. I had a history teacher my sophomore year that did that a lot, and we just learned to deal with it. x) He was amusing though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff