Would you be offended?

Yes 0.064516129032258 6.5% [ 6 ]
No 0.7741935483871 77.4% [ 72 ]
Depends 0.12903225806452 12.9% [ 12 ]
What? 0.032258064516129 3.2% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 93 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Adorable Fisher

If you saw a gay or lesbian couple being all lovey dovey (basically light, and cute PDA) in public, would you be offended? Think about the area you live in, would people who live in your area be offended (and what kind of place do you live in)? Have you ever held hands or whatever in public with someone of the same sex, and how did it go?

Just wondering if I'm freaking out over nothing, guys. I'm currently pretty scared to even attempt to hold hands with my s.o in public and it breaks my heart, because we'll be in a southern state and that's pretty much frowned upon. There was a "What Would You Do" episode about exactly what I hypotheticalled to you and so many freaking people called the cops on these two guys who were kissing lightly and being cute with each other on a public bench in Alabama. I was like, "holy s**t now what".

Familiar Poster

Oh no they're kissing I better make this my business.
Honestly, I would be jealous.

Distinct Poster

I would probably say "Awwwwww."
Because seeing couples really give me the collywobbles.
I would also look out for any antagonists/prejudice people.

Dainty Doll

It's sad that you feel that way. sad

I don't know if this is of any reassurance (because I'm in the UK) but I see same-sex couples holding hands/light PDA on a fairly regular basis. I am not at all offended by it. In fact, I am glad to have it around (I am trying to raise a small child without being heteronormative; it is important to me that she doesn't see homosexuality as being negative or "weird", and having openly homosexual couples be a regular part of our world is a big help to me, even if they don't know it), and I would most definitely speak up if I heard another person verbally attacking a homosexual couple.

Adorable Fisher

Posties
I would probably say "Awwwwww."
Because seeing couples really give me the collywobbles.
I would also look out for any antagonists/prejudice people.
Aren't you sweet whee

Genius

zaptar13
Oh no they're kissing I better make this my business.

9,050 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Holding hands is ok, as is sneaking in a quick peck or two but I can't deal with any couple making out in public. Personally, I don't like PDA period. I've never seen a difference in gay and straight couples though.

I've lived most of my life in the south. Most of the areas I've lived in wouldn't give a rats a** if you were gay or straight. (Northern) AL was the suckiest period of my life. They just hate change and anyone who is different- obviously my opinion. Sorry Alabamians but my life was hell for those two years. Everyone in our family considers AL the worst place we've lived.

Of course, that was probably only that corner of Alabama. When I lived in GA, one of my best friends was from southern AL and she was awesome and open minded. East TN- Knoxville especially- is VERY accepting for the most part(most cities with major universities are). When I went to school there, a KKK group from Ohio decided to come down to our town and hold their march -_- and we did a clown march against them to kick them out.

Honestly people have the worst perception of the south but I think the rural areas and small towns everywhere in America (and probably the world) have the most problems. Larger towns and cities where new people move in and out all the time are full of people who have a more modern outlook on things.

TLDR; if you are going to a big city, you should be fine.
i live in the south and i too go out consistently with my same-sex partner.
and yeah, we hold hands and kiss modestly and act like any other affectionate
couple. sometimes i'm nervous about going out because people always
look at us-- always. there isn't a day where someone doesn't stare a little
too much. unfortunately it's normal, something i had to get used to.
we get mean glares every once in a while, but no one has ever said anything
offensive to us or caused a scene, and i'm very glad for that.

i never liked being focused on in public, but if i wanted to be who i was
and go places with my s.o while acting natural and comfortable, i just had
to learn not to worry about what strangers are thinking.

Questionable Conversationalist

I don't mind light PDA whatsoever. Hand holding, arm holding, hugs, those are all kinda cute and I think those couples are adorable. Like watching two birds nuzzle each other.
It's when you see people macking on benches that it just gets weird. I don't mind pecks but ugh, I kinda don't want to see people playing tonsil hockey, gay, straight, lesbian, etc xD

As for you OP, I think you should talk to your partner and mention you're scared of doing PDA with them, but if it's something you want to do tell them that. Maybe if you're together holding hands won't feel as scary. Generally, people don't approach you in public for that kind of thing and if they do ignore them or tell them point blank "You are speaking inappropriately, please leave us alone." And if they continue repeat it and add "If you don't leave us alone I will be forced to contact security or the police to report your harassment."

Or just carry two whistles and have you and your partner blow them when someone makes a rude comment to your faces to confuse them and weird them out. A girl in one of my classes is apparently a fashion major and has...questionable taste but it's her own I guess. If people make a mean comment toward her she blows a whistle or a kazoo or starts clapping and doesn't say a word back. I kinda love her idea and tip her a smile or wave whenever I see her now.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I'm in the UK but unlike Tute Sweet, I rarely see same sex couples together in public. And when I do, they usually get some strange looks.

Personally it doesn't bother me, at all. In the areas ive lived, I think it should be encouraged. It might become more normal and stop people acting like children when they see two women/men holding hands or kissing.

Giver

9,150 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
MarigoldMari
If you saw a gay or lesbian couple being all lovey dovey (basically light, and cute PDA) in public, would you be offended? Think about the area you live in, would people who live in your area be offended (and what kind of place do you live in)? Have you ever held hands or whatever in public with someone of the same sex, and how did it go?

Just wondering if I'm freaking out over nothing, guys. I'm currently pretty scared to even attempt to hold hands with my s.o in public and it breaks my heart, because we'll be in a southern state and that's pretty much frowned upon. There was a "What Would You Do" episode about exactly what I hypotheticalled to you and so many freaking people called the cops on these two guys who were kissing lightly and being cute with each other on a public bench in Alabama. I was like, "holy s**t now what".

I wouldn't even look twice. Of course that's just me though but I never got what the big deal was; what's the difference, straight people are doing more than just soft PDA in public and nobody seems to care then. I think if someone's offended by PDA the least they can do is be fair about it and be offended equally both ways instead of discriminating against people just because they happen to be gay.

Even if somebody does call the cops on you there's nothing they can charge you for, PDA isn't a crime.

Adorable Fisher

_d0ll-like_
MarigoldMari

I wouldn't even look twice. Of course that's just me though but I never got what the big deal was; what's the difference, straight people are doing more than just soft PDA in public and nobody seems to care then. I think if someone's offended by PDA the least they can do is be fair about it and be offended equally both ways instead of discriminating against people just because the happen to be gay.

Even if somebody does call the cops on you there's nothing they can charge you for, PDA isn't a crime.
The cops could get us for "corruption of youth". That is the charge gay couples are being charged for in Russia when they hold hands, so it could happen here if we get really unlucky. There's tons of corrupt cops. I feel like I'm overreacting, but if someone calls the cops on us then my s.o could get deported if we're charged with something.

Aged Gaian

if they're two girls i'd fap.

if two males.. emotion_donotwant

Lonely Explorer

I live in Traverse City, it's really gay up here and I wouldn't get offended by pda.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff