Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Charming Sadist
I don't think the people should be ridiculed-- I just think they're stupid.
Wow- when the hypocrisy comes in the same sentence- I don't even know what to say.

Quote:
You're the one denying the fact that everyon has the right to their own opinion. THAT is the difference between you and me, darling. You're the bigot, not me.

You're mistaken- people can and do have wrong opinions all the time- I just don't pretend that because they're opinions they can't be wrong.

I also understand that opinions- especially wrong ones, that happen to be popular shape our society and create social injustice. I don't turn a blind eye to that stuff- people who have loads of privilege often do. Mono-privilege makes it easy for you to ignore it- so I'm not surprised it didn't cross your mind, but when people bring it up and you keep going, even when you're wrong- well, willful ignorance, bigotry or trolling is really the only 3 options.

Dangerous Gekko

Esiris
The Charming Sadist
I don't think the people should be ridiculed-- I just think they're stupid.
Wow- when the hypocrisy comes in the same sentence- I don't even know what to say.

Quote:
You're the one denying the fact that everyon has the right to their own opinion. THAT is the difference between you and me, darling. You're the bigot, not me.

You're mistaken- people can and do have wrong opinions all the time- I just don't pretend that because they're opinions they can't be wrong.

I also understand that opinions- especially wrong ones, that happen to be popular shape our society and create social injustice. I don't turn a blind eye to that stuff- people who have loads of privilege often do. Mono-privilege makes it easy for you to ignore it- so I'm not surprised it didn't cross your mind, but when people bring it up and you keep going, even when you're wrong- well, willful ignorance, bigotry or trolling is really the only 3 options.

How is that hypocrisy? You can think that something someone does is stupid without treating them like second class citizens. My brother plays Zelda-- I think Zelda is the stupidest video game ever invented. But I'm not spitting in his face over it. Just like people with different political idealologies can get along just fine, so can people with different opinions on relationships, even if both people think that the other's ideas are ignorant.

Okay, I'm starting to see the base of your argument here-- either someone has the same opinion as you, or their opinion is wrong. Neat-o. You can't accuse me of willful ignorance or bigotry (I won't even acknowledge the trolling comment because that's just you being a baby) as long as you operate with that mindset. You are doubtlessly portraying yourself in this conversation as one of the most close minded people I have ever met. What's that you were saying about hypocrisy?

Wealthy Capitalist

How do you disprove an opinion again?

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Charming Sadist
Just like people with different political idealologies can get along just fine, so can people with different opinions on relationships, even if both people think that the other's ideas are ignorant.
Sometimes- other times political groups latch onto and feed bigotry- like what we're seeing with Obama and the birthers.

Quote:
Okay, I'm starting to see the base of your argument here-- either someone has the same opinion as you, or their opinion is wrong.
That's really not it- see, when I make mistakes, I own up to them and change my stance. It happens- it isn't like I'm perfect, I just don't cling to being wrong to make myself feel better- which is what the willful ignorance and bigotry this thread contains is really about.
If no one in the group approves of polyamorous relationships, then neither was my type in the first place. I'd give up on pursuing both and move on with my life.

I don't believe there is a such thing as loving someone to an "equal" extent as you love another person, or loving someone more or less. To me, romantic love is the strongest I can feel toward a person, and since everyone is different, naturally, I experience the love I feel for each person differently, and express it differently as well.

Personally I've never been able to choose not to love someone. I can control myself well enough to not try and pursue them, but as for conquering my feelings? As far as I've experienced, it's not even possible. The feelings may fade with time, or may lose their magic if you realize the person isn't good for you. I've had that happen. But other than that, it's never been a choice to me. Just something I, and others in my life, have to live with.

Oh, and Johnny Depp heart

Dangerous Gekko

Esiris
The Charming Sadist
Just like people with different political idealologies can get along just fine, so can people with different opinions on relationships, even if both people think that the other's ideas are ignorant.
Sometimes- other times political groups latch onto and feed bigotry- like what we're seeing with Obama and the birthers.

Quote:
Okay, I'm starting to see the base of your argument here-- either someone has the same opinion as you, or their opinion is wrong.
That's really not it- see, when I make mistakes, I own up to them and change my stance. It happens- it isn't like I'm perfect, I just don't cling to being wrong to make myself feel better- which is what the willful ignorance and bigotry this thread contains is really about.

Er, okay... Obama and the birthers are totally relevant in this conversation. I feel like you've brought a lot to it. Good work out of you.

But I haven't made a mistake-- unless of course disagreeing with you is a mistake. We have different opinions, which we're both entitled too-- damn, I feel like a broken record, but I feel like you should eventually understan what an opinion is. Neither opinion is necessarily right or wrong. I am not entitled to think the way you do. You can throw around words like willful ignorance and bigotry, but in the end it all boils down to your childish belief that anyone who disagrees with you or believes differently than you is a bad person. It's like being in a church with the over zealous nutcases who try to convince you that God will pitch a woman into hell for cutting her hair short.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
The Charming Sadist
I agree with it.

You cannot love two people at once, because it is not only a powerful emotion, but also a decision and a commitment. If you think you love two people at once, you need to put Twilight down and grow up.

While I respect your pov, I kind of resent being told to put down Twilight and grow up.

I am in love with two people. But, I admit I have stronger feelings for my husband, but I've been pretty honest about it. I do love my girlfriend and I want them both to be happy.

As for Depp's quote, I respect him as a good actor, and I'm sure that came from his personal experiences; but the world doesn't always work like that.

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The Charming Sadist

But I haven't made a mistake-- unless of course disagreeing with you is a mistake.

The mistake is someone assuming your lack of experience makes your opinion valid at all- see, that's why unsupported and ignorant opinions can be wrong while educated and informed opinion- especially ones that comment on things that can be verified are correct.

Quote:

We have different opinions, which we're both entitled too-- damn, I feel like a broken record, but I feel like you should eventually understan what an opinion is
You're relying on your made up definition of what an opinion is- I'm relying on what the word means and how it's used. Yours is a dodge because heaven forbid you have to admit you're mistaken, mine is pretty much what anyone who understands they aren't the center of the universe uses.

Quote:
but in the end it all boils down to your childish belief that anyone who disagrees with you or believes differently than you is a bad person.
Naw- see, that's the problem with hyperbole, it's never accurate. There are plenty of people who disagree with me- I have different attitudes towards the Education System than my friends in University, but that doesn't touch on a Social Justice issue- your anti-poly stance does, since it supports an attitude that is degrading.

I'm pretty much done with this conversation- talking to someone who either can't get it or refuses to is a waste of energy and my hopes for you are pretty much gone now.

Dangerous Gekko

Esiris
The Charming Sadist

But I haven't made a mistake-- unless of course disagreeing with you is a mistake.

The mistake is someone assuming your lack of experience makes your opinion valid at all- see, that's why unsupported and ignorant opinions can be wrong while educated and informed opinion- especially ones that comment on things that can be verified are correct.

Quote:

We have different opinions, which we're both entitled too-- damn, I feel like a broken record, but I feel like you should eventually understan what an opinion is
You're relying on your made up definition of what an opinion is- I'm relying on what the word means and how it's used. Yours is a dodge because heaven forbid you have to admit you're mistaken, mine is pretty much what anyone who understands they aren't the center of the universe uses.

Quote:
but in the end it all boils down to your childish belief that anyone who disagrees with you or believes differently than you is a bad person.
Naw- see, that's the problem with hyperbole, it's never accurate. There are plenty of people who disagree with me- I have different attitudes towards the Education System than my friends in University, but that doesn't touch on a Social Justice issue- your anti-poly stance does, since it supports an attitude that is degrading.

I'm pretty much done with this conversation- talking to someone who either can't get it or refuses to is a waste of energy and my hopes for you are pretty much gone now.

... I am seriously praying that you are no older than 16. If that's the case, there could be hope for you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff