Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nothing, really.
Or, well, maybe that you should clean every week. I clean every two weeks instead.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Just Another Face -GM-
Miss Marinara Sauce
Just Another Face -GM-
Miss Marinara Sauce
I was raised Christian, but am now an atheist.

Heathen high-five!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
-HIGHFIVE-

I have always noticed my faith corroded from the inside, as opposed to the outside eating in, like most folks I know. which is an oddity.

Mine was never that strong to begin with, so some critical thinking kinda killed it for me. I'm not exactly sure how the process went for me. Can you elaborate on yours?
I'm born and raised in the bible belt of lower Alabama with an incredibly devout christian family, went to church and Sunday school, attended a private christian school for my entire school career.
However I was the only one out of 400 people (speaking of school) to dress and think differently. So I went from christian "normal society" thinking process and looks to an atheistic free thinker that clearly gives not a single ********.

Lonely Prophet

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • First step to fame 200
Miss Marinara Sauce
Can you elaborate on yours?
I was raised devout. Methodist, but my Grandmother was oddly devout in it, since Methodists tend to be the laziest cunts among the religion. But at any rate. I believed hard, was saved at ten. And then I read the bible. I asked for my first bible at eleven, and it was something I took terribly seriously. And as I read it, I found myself more and more revolted. Murder, rape, genocide, at the hands of the chosen people, from the commands of God. It shook me to my core. So I asked my pastor, who had empty, hollow answers. Even as a child, I saw the answers from the man of the cloth entirely insufficient. So, my faith in the bible and the church collapsed.

So I turned to Jesus. But I was a child of intense curiosity, so I started reading on the arguments for and against the existence of Christ, and found that for a period well documented, it seemed odd that many of the figures in the Bible were inaccurate, and that, oddly, there were men who claimed to be the children of God, and they were all put to death by stoning, and that crucifixion didn't seem to be popular for heresy. So the crucifixion seemed wrong. And there was insufficient evidence that Jesus himself was real in the extent that he was even real. And I lost faith in Jesus.

And then I turned to God. I studied the faiths for a few years, trying to see if any particular religion had similar feelings to me. I'm a liberal guy, I believe in equality among races, genders, sexualities, those who are and aren't able, so on and so forth. And I found myself utterly alone, religiously. But I felt God. I knew God was real. So, I studied apologetic arguments. And those led me to all these anti-God arguments. Which made more sense, which seemed better backed by logic than anything I'd heard from the Faithful, from Christian to Pagan to all points East. And I lost my faith in God.

I gave more consideration to my faith from eleven to seventeen than most people have in fifty years.

Quotable Poster

Twisted Rainbow Insanity
I was raised Catholic but I am now Buddhist, my brother is an atheist, and my sister is...a born-again Christian. emotion_facepalm

Sounds a bit confusing

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Dysfunctional_Hooker
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
I was raised Catholic but I am now Buddhist, my brother is an atheist, and my sister is...a born-again Christian. emotion_facepalm

Sounds a bit confusing
How so?

Quotable Poster

Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Dysfunctional_Hooker
Twisted Rainbow Insanity

Sounds a bit confusing
How so?

So many religions! And there is never a debate?

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Dysfunctional_Hooker
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Dysfunctional_Hooker
Twisted Rainbow Insanity

Sounds a bit confusing
How so?

So many religions! And there is never a debate?
The only other religion is mine. I really don't think atheism counts. xD I have discussions with my parents sometimes, and they just tend to agree on a lot of things I say. I have reason to believe my dad might be atheist as well but he never really talks about that kind of stuff. My mom isn't the brightest person so she just follows whatever sounds smartest to her. So she'll talk about praying and god and stuff, but if I have a discussion with her about religion she tends to agree that she's been brainwashed. xD My sister didn't take my change of religions very well. When I told her I converted to Buddhism, all she said was "You aren't Buddhist, you were baptised Catholic". emotion_facepalm

Rainbow Smoker

When I was at Christian school I really believed people had no choice but to be Christian. They gave me the impression that anyone who was educated, nice, and a decent person was Christian, maybe 90% of the population, and that the only people out there who weren't Christian were like, murderers and s**t like that. I thought that until I was at least 8. emo

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
I grew up in a Church of Christ and was always told that women aren't allowed to preach or have any type of role in ministry - they couldn't even lead a song, help with communion, or say a prayer request. A lot of them were also SMO's - Sunday Mornings Only. On Sunday my parents tried to act all holy and the rest of the week it didn't seem like it applied and me and my siblings would listen to the music we liked all week and then on Sunday's, I remember Mom saying, "We don't need to be listening to that music on a Sunday." or something to that effect. Some members had bragged about money they donated and helped foreign countries and never helped out their own congregation , which to me is a fail. A church should also be able to take care of it's members. There was a sick mom that couldn't afford rent and had to move because she was evicted with her two kids and no one even offered to lend her a hand - it was really sad. If someone (such as a guest) says a prayer request the church doesn't like, they won't mention it in the prayer and it's rather rude. They'd excommunicate people for a lot of different things - their main attraction being divorce, which I never thought was right. There are also many other flaws in their belief system and a lot of it is twisting context and believing what they want to believe. There is also a lot of spiritual abuse in that church that can hurt someone mentally and emotionally as well.

Now, I am a Non-denominational Christian (although, non-denominational is sort of a denomination in itself because there are a lot of them out there). I believe a lot differently and am more accepting of others than I used to be considering I was raised not to accept people who were "sinful", but that never made sense because everyone is a sinner. I feel a lot happier when I'm able to be kind to everyone and care about everyone instead of holding feelings of hate for anyone no matter their beliefs or their problems. I used to get mad and start shoving the Bible down people's throats and now a days I feel so bad about that - also another reason I have turned myself around. It's not right to put people in the spotlight and tell them that they are going to Hell or whatever. Sadly, my parents, because of me changing from one aspect of Christianity to another - don't get along with me that well anymore. They also ignore me, press their beliefs on me whenever they do see me and have the chance, and they don't necessarily talk to me anymore when I do still care about them. It's sad that people think, "Oh, you don't believe like me so I hate you." because it truly does nothing good.

Quotable Poster

Aquatic_blue
I grew up in a Church of Christ and was always told that women aren't allowed to preach or have any type of role in ministry - they couldn't even lead a song, help with communion, or say a prayer request. A lot of them were also SMO's - Sunday Mornings Only. On Sunday my parents tried to act all holy and the rest of the week it didn't seem like it applied and me and my siblings would listen to the music we liked all week and then on Sunday's, I remember Mom saying, "We don't need to be listening to that music on a Sunday." or something to that effect. Some members had bragged about money they donated and helped foreign countries and never helped out their own congregation , which to me is a fail. A church should also be able to take care of it's members. There was a sick mom that couldn't afford rent and had to move because she was evicted with her two kids and no one even offered to lend her a hand - it was really sad. If someone (such as a guest) says a prayer request the church doesn't like, they won't mention it in the prayer and it's rather rude. They'd excommunicate people for a lot of different things - their main attraction being divorce, which I never thought was right. There are also many other flaws in their belief system and a lot of it is twisting context and believing what they want to believe. There is also a lot of spiritual abuse in that church that can hurt someone mentally and emotionally as well.

Now, I am a Non-denominational Christian (although, non-denominational is sort of a denomination in itself because there are a lot of them out there). I believe a lot differently and am more accepting of others than I used to be considering I was raised not to accept people who were "sinful", but that never made sense because everyone is a sinner. I feel a lot happier when I'm able to be kind to everyone and care about everyone instead of holding feelings of hate for anyone no matter their beliefs or their problems. I used to get mad and start shoving the Bible down people's throats and now a days I feel so bad about that - also another reason I have turned myself around. It's not right to put people in the spotlight and tell them that they are going to Hell or whatever. Sadly, my parents, because of me changing from one aspect of Christianity to another - don't get along with me that well anymore. They also ignore me, press their beliefs on me whenever they do see me and have the chance, and they don't necessarily talk to me anymore when I do still care about them. It's sad that people think, "Oh, you don't believe like me so I hate you." because it truly does nothing good.

I am glad that you find happiness in your beliefs. It is sad how subtle differences mean the world to other people. You are still the same person, and happy with who you are and how you see the world.

Bashful Nerd

9,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Nerd 50

I consider myself very lucky with this, and I thank my mother for it, but I was never spoon-fed any BS. I was never baptized because my mother wanted to give me the freedom to choose my own path in life. I am an atheist.
Just Another Face -GM-
Miss Marinara Sauce
Can you elaborate on yours?
I was raised devout. Methodist, but my Grandmother was oddly devout in it, since Methodists tend to be the laziest cunts among the religion. But at any rate. I believed hard, was saved at ten. And then I read the bible. I asked for my first bible at eleven, and it was something I took terribly seriously. And as I read it, I found myself more and more revolted. Murder, rape, genocide, at the hands of the chosen people, from the commands of God. It shook me to my core. So I asked my pastor, who had empty, hollow answers. Even as a child, I saw the answers from the man of the cloth entirely insufficient. So, my faith in the bible and the church collapsed.

So I turned to Jesus. But I was a child of intense curiosity, so I started reading on the arguments for and against the existence of Christ, and found that for a period well documented, it seemed odd that many of the figures in the Bible were inaccurate, and that, oddly, there were men who claimed to be the children of God, and they were all put to death by stoning, and that crucifixion didn't seem to be popular for heresy. So the crucifixion seemed wrong. And there was insufficient evidence that Jesus himself was real in the extent that he was even real. And I lost faith in Jesus.

And then I turned to God. I studied the faiths for a few years, trying to see if any particular religion had similar feelings to me. I'm a liberal guy, I believe in equality among races, genders, sexualities, those who are and aren't able, so on and so forth. And I found myself utterly alone, religiously. But I felt God. I knew God was real. So, I studied apologetic arguments. And those led me to all these anti-God arguments. Which made more sense, which seemed better backed by logic than anything I'd heard from the Faithful, from Christian to Pagan to all points East. And I lost my faith in God.

I gave more consideration to my faith from eleven to seventeen than most people have in fifty years.

He gave you hollow answers?

That's silly, God has a rich history of smiting bitches.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
X-78Q

I consider myself very lucky with this, and I thank my mother for it, but I was never spoon-fed any BS. I was never baptized because my mother wanted to give me the freedom to choose my own path in life. I am an atheist.

Huh, my Mom had me baptized because she 'had a feeling that she should do it." but my brother isn't..
sweatdrop
My family isn't very religious, I didn't even know I was baptized until I was sixteen. I would consider myself atheist, but thats because I'd rather focus on my life then wondering if some dude is watching my everymove.
Aquatic_blue

We have a very similar story. I was also raised Church of Christ. My parents weren't deeply involved in the church, ( and never really talked about controversial stuff in front of me.. but not as a gesture of love, more like "we need to shelter her!" ) but I went to a Church of Christ school K through 9th grade... ugh. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind is my [mandatory] bible class in 9th grade. At that point I'd completely dismissed the Church of Christ way of thinking, and had made friends with a girl who was.. not Catholic, but something similar.. anyway, she asked the teacher a question, and the teacher said, "we don't believe that here." That was so incredibly rude! Most of us in the class claimed to be a Christian, but here the teacher was being snooty towards my friend for not being the "preferred" type of Christian!

When I transferred schools my 10th grade year, it was like a whole new world. My first day I walked into the bathroom to see two pairs of female feet in the same bathroom stall. It honestly shocked the ******** out of me. Sexuality was something that was very hush-hush at my old school, and I'd really only seen that kind of thing on tv and in movies. But as soon as I was able to decide for myself, I have supported the LGBT community. There's not a lot of love in this world, and it's a beautiful thing when two ( or more! ) people find that kind of happiness in each other. Other people's lives are none of my business anyway.

@OP, maybe your mother doesn't mean that she would love him more if he weren't gay.. maybe that's her backwards way of saying that she doesn't care that he's gay? I dunno. My dad unintentionally twists his words like that so I might tend to think too much into parent-speak...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff