Welcome to Gaia! ::

Red's Honey Bun

Well, to be honest, most of the credits of math you're going to get in high school will not be math you use every day. You learn that in elementary and middle school.

English, on the other hand, you're going to need to use all the time and you tend to have things repeated in your high school courses -- or, around here, at least.

I'm not saying it's okay for someone to be ignorant in math, but I'm saying having more English credits than math seems fine to me.
society has accepted that it is ok to generally suck at math because most of society is struggling to understand it past pre-algebra (if that). English in generally easier to learn, and we have things like spell check.
English is obviously more important since we're going to need it for the rest of our lives. We use English everyday, whether it's reading a book or communicating with another person. I guess Math is only important if you're thinking of going into a career that involves calculations and numbers.

By the way, if you have a math-related question, wouldn't you normally ask your math teacher instead of your english teacher...?
English is more of a vital subject, but hey. It's good to just know these things, right? Well...unless you'd rather do something much more fun than math. :3
Luckily, both math and english are equivalently my best subjects. =]

SWL PacStar's Significant Otter

I failed algebra 1 and nearly failed algebra 2. I passed geometry with a 94%

I guess spacial concepts are easier for me to understand than "Imaginary Numbers" and Logarithms. When the hell are you going to need /those/. Unless I am creating laundry detergent for P&G, I have no need to learn this uselessness.
(My tutor used logarithms every day when making laundry detergent for P&G. I didn't just make that up XD)

God I suck at math. It wasn't a matter of not trying or not caring... it just sounded like nothing to me. I would stare at it and my brain wouldn't process it -.-
[draken]
I'm not being mean here or anything and I'm not trying to insult math, but I honestly don't think, unless you're going into the math field, that you would ever use something like calculus.
English and grammar are essential. We use English every day. We read everyday.

By the way.
Many people fall into one of these categories:
Good at Science/Math or
Good at English/History.
-shrug-
Fun fact.

Yeah, I suck at math, but I'm amazing in English.
Plus, English is more important unless you want to go into a math field.
English is communication, math is for... tips.

Actually... If she's teaching English, why must she need to know math when she's educating kids totally out off of that subject.
Your teacher earned her degree, that's what matters. She is qualified to teach ENGLISH, not math.

It really has nothing to deal with you, so why don't YOU excel in both and have a happy life?

cat faced killa's Fangirl

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
Actually, for those saying that English is more important because you use it every day, there's only a handful of things in senior English that you will definitely use.

Grammar and paragraph structure is one, but you should know this by grade 11 anyway.

Another is interpretation skills, even though people love to get up in your grill for interpreting something they say the wrong way as if you could read their mind. Even so, no one writes in the style of Shakespeare anymore. Interpretations of such literary works are practice for interpretations in general.

Another is experience in formal writing. However, not every field will even require you to write literary essays, they will require academic papers, which are very different from literary essays. Basically, senior English is loose practice for skills you will need later on. Main English credits don't even cover academic papers, you want a specialized writing course for that sort of thing.

Guess what senior math is? Brain work. Logic. Loose practice for skills you will need later on.

I find it baffling how people can say English is an important course because it's skill practice (which it is, definitely) but then go on to say math is not important because "I'll never need to know derivatives!" It's the same concept. Practicing vital skills -- communication and logic.

I'm good at both English and Math, so maybe I'm a little biased in saying they're both important. confused
Well people are rarely good at everything, and just because they "suck at math" doesn't mean they don't have other redeeming qualities. For example, I "suck at math", but when it comes to science or history, I am virtually unbeatable. I may not be good at sauteeing, but when it comes to baking I'll wipe the floor with you.
I don't see why math's important. Yeah, the basics are, of course, but anything beyond that is just useless. I have never, ever needed to calculate the height of a tree based on the angle its shadow forms. And such a situation will never occur. Of course, I'm good at math, even if I find it useless.

English pisses me off, too. Again, basics are important, yes. But unless you plan on writing research essays the rest of your life or becoming an English teacher/professer or a writer, it's pretty much a complete waste of time. I know I'll forget everything I've learned in my current course as soon as I get out of it. And my teacher keeps saying "you'll need this in the work place." Animators most certainly do not spend their time writing essays about the "importance of literature." No... no we do not.

I'm even a bit ashamed taking English. Do people in other countries have to take lessons on the very language they speak? If not, America really sucks.
Millipede
I don't see why math's important. Yeah, the basics are, of course, but anything beyond that is just useless. I have never, ever needed to calculate the height of a tree based on the angle its shadow forms. And such a situation will never occur. Of course, I'm good at math, even if I find it useless.

English pisses me off, too. Again, basics are important, yes. But unless you plan on writing research essays the rest of your life or becoming an English teacher/professer or a writer, it's pretty much a complete waste of time. I know I'll forget everything I've learned in my current course as soon as I get out of it. And my teacher keeps saying "you'll need this in the work place." Animators most certainly do not spend their time writing essays about the "importance of literature." No we do not.

I'm even a bit ashamed taking English. Do people in other countries have to take lessons on the very language they speak? If not, America really sucks.

I agree with the math thing. When will I ever need to use the things I've learned in Alg II?

The English thing I'm sort of iffy about. Most people won't be writing books, but if we didn't teach English it would have dire consequences for us. Besides, from what I recall English is the msot difficult language to learn. The Culinary Institute of America requires me to take AP English, so I think that says something about its importance.

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
Executive Chef
Well people are rarely good at everything, and just because they "suck at math" doesn't mean they don't have other redeeming qualities. For example, I "suck at math", but when it comes to science or history, I am virtually unbeatable. I may not be good at sauteeing, but when it comes to baking I'll wipe the floor with you.
What kind of science? oO

Would you be able to calculate the net force on an object, or determine an angle of refraction, balance a chemical equation, find the resistance in a circuit, or find the concentration of OH needed to titrate 0.6M of phosphoric acid, or stuff like that? If those are the kinds of sciences you take, you probably aren't bad at math. xp
pidgezero_one
Executive Chef
What kind of science? oO

Would you be able to calculate the net force on an object, or determine an angle of refraction, balance a chemical equation, find the resistance in a circuit, or find the concentration of OH needed to titrate 0.6M of phosphoric acid, or stuff like that? If those are the kinds of sciences you take, you probably aren't bad at math. xp

Chemistry and physics are probably my two strong suits. I would probably be better at math if our math teacher actually taught and didn't just throw the textbook at us while he talked about his skydiving adventures all class long. scream

Original Fatcat

10,775 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
Executive Chef
pidgezero_one
Executive Chef
What kind of science? oO

Chemistry and physics are probably my two strong suits. I would probably be better at math if our math teacher actually taught and didn't just throw the textbook at us while he talked about his skydiving adventures all class long. scream
Chem and physics are my strong subjects too! They're heavily math oriented, though, so if you can do them you're probably better at math than your class' method is allowing you to discover. Or something like that.

I volunteer as a math tutor, and sometimes it just makes more sense hearing the concepts the second time around or explained a different way. Another reason why English is awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff