Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Thisistotallyridiculous
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Thisistotallyridiculous
This is not as simple as you omnivores like to think it is. If you support factory farming, you ARE torturing animals. I seriously find it hard to believe that you all genuinely don't care that you're paying people to torture animals. The reasons behind your denial are gluttony and vanity. Pure selfishness. And trying to insult vegans for caring is just a manifestation of your denial. You will do anything to not feel guilt.

yum_tea I don't feel guilty at all. The taste of suffering is delicious.

Mocking included. I guarantee if I posted a photo of a cute piglet you would all melt.

Why is it when I post a video of a piglet getting its testicles ripped out you all attack me as a 'preachy vegan'? And now you don't care how badly that 'cute' animal is treated because you now associate it as a THING, called bacon. Oh and you looove bacon. rolleyes

yum_tea Pigs aren't cute. They're quadrapedal trash disposals that just happen to taste good if they're cooked a certain way. Post a picture of a calf and I might spend about two seconds admiring its cuteness, before I realized that it was composed entirely of tasty veal. Mmmm, veal...
Thisistotallyridiculous
ChemicaI Warfare
Jazzness
Anyone who is, "preachy," irks me. Vegans, vegetarians, Catholics, Mormons, Health Nuts.
I also dislike individuals who are devoted to being anti all of those things.
As a vegetarian I do not appreciate people waving a slab of meant in my face and taunt, "MMMMmmmm tasty murder."
In my opinion that is worse solely because it is not even attempting to right a perceived wrong, it's acting with the intention of pissing someone off.

Same here but I decided to make this a vegan/veg topic about preachy vegans/veg.

About that whole "mmm tasty murder" I've come across some people like that. I just tell them "Yeah, if ya season it right then it can be pretty tasty."

You seriously make me want to puke. You're as in denial as the omnivores trolling this post. Your core values tell you not to torture animals (as I like to think most everyone's do), yet you join them in mocking your principles. It's pretty pathetic that you can't stand up for yourself.
Just keep in mind "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society".

Nothing worse than a spineless person. If you believe in it, stand up for it.
If you can't do that, then what worth are you to society?
CestTiffany
freelance lover
CestTiffany

Do you think...vegetarians give a s**t? Seriously.
Do you think we toss and turn at night because we lost one?
We don't have any assumptions about you. No notions, nor beliefs.
We merely post our beliefs about things, and move on.
That's what annoys me about omnivores. They are so defensive about their lifestyle. I was so happy that I learned about being a vegetaian. I will tell others about it, I will help others become one. But that's not my goal in life. I really just care about what I am doing and what the community is doing.

My statement was not directed at vegetarians in general. It was directed at the pervious person, who made a ridiculous assumption about what I "would feel" in a certain scenario. They assumed I had no knowledge and made a ridiculous conclusion. This is not the first time this has happened to me either. I wasn't being defensive about my lifestyle. I was pointing out that they had jumped to a conclusion about me, someone they don't know. And seeing as they continue to reply to my post... no, they don't "post their beliefs and move on" like you state. If anyone is being defensive about their lifestyle, it's them. I'm just tired of being made out to be the bad guy because I deviate from someone else's view of what I should or shouldn't do (and this obviously extends in any issue).

I don't see a problem with trying to educate people about the reasons to be vegetarian or the benefits. As I said before, I actively attempt to keep two of my three meals each day meatless, because I feel that it is a healthier lifestyle for me as a person. I have been vegetarian before, but it was not something I wanted to commit to full time. People should live in a way that makes them happy and feel good, and not berate others for living differently. That's the issue I have, not if someone eats meat or not.

If you're trying to sell something, you use emotional appeal. I can assure you she is not merely replying to you, as this is a public forum. If anything, she is defending the ideals, as there could be one silent reader maybe affected by what she says.
Don't take it personal.

That's a pretty poor excuse for being a jackass to someone. If you want to spread information for it, don't make it look like you're berating one individual who disagrees with you. Besides, you catch more flies with honey. There's a reason Christians who tell people they're going to hell don't get converts, and there's a reason pushy vegans don't get people to join their lifestyle. People close their ears and minds when someone is attacking them, so the message ultimately isn't heard.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Thisistotallyridiculous
This is not as simple as you omnivores like to think it is. If you support factory farming, you ARE torturing animals. I seriously find it hard to believe that you all genuinely don't care that you're paying people to torture animals. The reasons behind your denial are gluttony and vanity. Pure selfishness. And trying to insult vegans for caring is just a manifestation of your denial. You will do anything to not feel guilt.

I prefer the sweet flesh of troll, myself.

yum_tea Just make sure it's not a vegan troll, all fiber and no taste.

Of course not. I prefer the troll that likes suffering, because then I feel justified after my meal.

yum_tea A most excellent tale, Brorpheus. I'm not sure what the point of it was, because you're basicly saying you're totally cool with contracting a degenerative brain disorder, in which case I'd still have the last laugh. <3
freelance lover
CestTiffany
freelance lover
CestTiffany

That's what annoys me about omnivores. They are so defensive about their lifestyle. I was so happy that I learned about being a vegetaian. I will tell others about it, I will help others become one. But that's not my goal in life. I really just care about what I am doing and what the community is doing.

My statement was not directed at vegetarians in general. It was directed at the pervious person, who made a ridiculous assumption about what I "would feel" in a certain scenario. They assumed I had no knowledge and made a ridiculous conclusion. This is not the first time this has happened to me either. I wasn't being defensive about my lifestyle. I was pointing out that they had jumped to a conclusion about me, someone they don't know. And seeing as they continue to reply to my post... no, they don't "post their beliefs and move on" like you state. If anyone is being defensive about their lifestyle, it's them. I'm just tired of being made out to be the bad guy because I deviate from someone else's view of what I should or shouldn't do (and this obviously extends in any issue).

I don't see a problem with trying to educate people about the reasons to be vegetarian or the benefits. As I said before, I actively attempt to keep two of my three meals each day meatless, because I feel that it is a healthier lifestyle for me as a person. I have been vegetarian before, but it was not something I wanted to commit to full time. People should live in a way that makes them happy and feel good, and not berate others for living differently. That's the issue I have, not if someone eats meat or not.

If you're trying to sell something, you use emotional appeal. I can assure you she is not merely replying to you, as this is a public forum. If anything, she is defending the ideals, as there could be one silent reader maybe affected by what she says.
Don't take it personal.

That's a pretty poor excuse for being a jackass to someone. If you want to spread information for it, don't make it look like you're berating one individual who disagrees with you. Besides, you catch more flies with honey. There's a reason Christians who tell people they're going to hell don't get converts, and there's a reason pushy vegans don't get people to join their lifestyle. People close their ears and minds when someone is attacking them, so the message ultimately isn't heard.

This is the internet. Politeness and kindness are difficult to translate. If you think their is malice behind her words, perhaps you should evaluate your expectations on an anonymous forum?
The vegetarian community is not a cult, we aren't seeking to convert as many people as we can. We focus on the individuals who want to make the lifestyle change.
ChemicaI Warfare
freelance lover
ChemicaI Warfare
freelance lover
I really dislike preachy vegans and vegetarians as well. I don't care if you choose to remove meat and animal products from your diet. I myself actually really like vegetarian food, and I actively try to keep two of my three meals a day meatless. If humane meat was more available and I had the money to afford it, I would buy it. But I don't, and frankly animal rights isn't an issue I'm passionate enough about to alter my lifestyle that much to accommodate. That doesn't make me a bad person, it just means there are other issues in the world that strike more of a chord with me. I'm passionate about fair trade products, but I don't throw someone's cup of coffee in their face because it's not fair trade. I get maybe they're not passionate about it, and maybe are more interested in cancer research, which I have little interest in. Everyone has different causes, and just because I don't think your cause it the most important, doesn't make me a bad person. I also hate how they just assume I'm uneducated about factory farms and the like. No, I am informed. I just don't care enough to completely remove meat from my diet.

Honestly, preachy vegans make me understand how non-Christians must feel when they meet hardcore BIble-thumpers.

I agree and maybe in the future free ranged products will become more available.

I wish there were more humane/free range/local farming things readily available. I'm pretty poor right now, so I doubt I could afford it all the time, but I would certainly make an effort, and as my paychecks hopefully increase, I would be able to buy it more. I was really excited though, because I found a local burger place that uses all local and farm raised meat in their food. Not to mention I had the best gourmet burger ever while there. Fortunately I live in California where these sorts of movements tend to pick up a little quicker. We also have a million and one farmer's markets, so getting local produce is easy, there just seems to be a lack of meat and animal products.

I live in Cali too and depending on where you are depends on how many "friendly" joints are around you. No harm done though if you choose to not buy free ranged. :3

I try to buy free range eggs, but since they're so much more expensive than regular eggs I can't always. I do at least get all my diary at Trader Joe's though, which means the cows aren't treated with hormones.
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Thisistotallyridiculous

Of course not. I prefer the troll that likes suffering, because then I feel justified after my meal.

yum_tea A most excellent tale, Brorpheus. I'm not sure what the point of it was, because you're basicly saying you're totally cool with contracting a degenerative brain disorder, in which case I'd still have the last laugh. <3

Heart disease. Brain disease. Same thing.
freelance lover
CestTiffany
freelance lover
CestTiffany

Don't take it personal.

Oh believe me, I've tried the 'catching flies with honey' method countless times. My conclusion: myth BUSTED. When someone's lifestyle is at stake, they will do anything to remain in denial of the facts that make it contradicting to their principles. Mockery is the most popular manifestation of denial among omnivores. The Tu Quoque debate fallacy is another very popular one:

and of course there's always the good old 'it's natural' argument:

But when all else fails, play the apathy card!
CestTiffany

This is the internet. Politeness and kindness are difficult to translate. If you think their is malice behind her words, perhaps you should evaluate your expectations on an anonymous forum?
The vegetarian community is not a cult, we aren't seeking to convert as many people as we can. We focus on the individuals who want to make the lifestyle change.

I never said or implied vegetarians were a cult. I was simply stating being pushy and over the top tends to not make people want to hear your message. I've been polite with her, and she has outright insulted me in previous threads (as well as this one). So no, I'm not misreading it. Saying "this is the internet" doesn't excuse being a douche to other people.

Witty Raider

I despise preachy people period.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany

yum_tea Heart disease: treatable via a variety of chemical and surgical methods. Possibility to survive good with early detection.

Degenerative brain disorder: untreatable. Survivability nil.

Yup. Totally the same thing. biggrin
freelance lover
ChemicaI Warfare
freelance lover
ChemicaI Warfare
freelance lover
I really dislike preachy vegans and vegetarians as well. I don't care if you choose to remove meat and animal products from your diet. I myself actually really like vegetarian food, and I actively try to keep two of my three meals a day meatless. If humane meat was more available and I had the money to afford it, I would buy it. But I don't, and frankly animal rights isn't an issue I'm passionate enough about to alter my lifestyle that much to accommodate. That doesn't make me a bad person, it just means there are other issues in the world that strike more of a chord with me. I'm passionate about fair trade products, but I don't throw someone's cup of coffee in their face because it's not fair trade. I get maybe they're not passionate about it, and maybe are more interested in cancer research, which I have little interest in. Everyone has different causes, and just because I don't think your cause it the most important, doesn't make me a bad person. I also hate how they just assume I'm uneducated about factory farms and the like. No, I am informed. I just don't care enough to completely remove meat from my diet.

Honestly, preachy vegans make me understand how non-Christians must feel when they meet hardcore BIble-thumpers.

I agree and maybe in the future free ranged products will become more available.

I wish there were more humane/free range/local farming things readily available. I'm pretty poor right now, so I doubt I could afford it all the time, but I would certainly make an effort, and as my paychecks hopefully increase, I would be able to buy it more. I was really excited though, because I found a local burger place that uses all local and farm raised meat in their food. Not to mention I had the best gourmet burger ever while there. Fortunately I live in California where these sorts of movements tend to pick up a little quicker. We also have a million and one farmer's markets, so getting local produce is easy, there just seems to be a lack of meat and animal products.

I live in Cali too and depending on where you are depends on how many "friendly" joints are around you. No harm done though if you choose to not buy free ranged. :3

I try to buy free range eggs, but since they're so much more expensive than regular eggs I can't always. I do at least get all my diary at Trader Joe's though, which means the cows aren't treated with hormones.
And this is how I feel that vegetarian/vegan diet should be approached.
Do what you can, you don't necessarily have to go all in all the time.
And to play devils advocate, meat is delicious, I do love a good goat curry or beef stroganoff, and if I were to go back to an omnivors diet, I would do my best to eat free range.
I would even consider hunting my own meat as a preferable option to the traditional farm and slaughter.
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany
Sweet Peppermint Tea
CestTiffany

yum_tea Heart disease: treatable via a variety of chemical and surgical methods. Possibility to survive good with early detection.

Degenerative brain disorder: untreatable. Survivability nil.

Yup. Totally the same thing. biggrin

Possible to survive but takes the most lives in the US. Yeaah.
Kay I'm done playing with you, lol. This is getting too weird to keep up.

Shameless Lunatic

27,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
Thankfully I haven't had any preachy vegans preach at me yet...not in rl at least XD

*sighs* and once again, msridiculous manages to turn a thread around and try to make it about factory farming...what a surprise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff