Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Citizen

kodomokurai
ChemicaI Warfare
You had chickens? How neat. emotion_c8

Oof, your family members seem to be alergic to everything. D:

There are casein free cheeses I'm sure you're aware of. emotion_c8

In the case of your son though, feed him whatever he can eat, I'm perfectly fine with that. I personally am not against eating animals in general as I am to eating the ones that were not killed humanely.

Thank You. since we're spreading awareness, here are the two foundations for my sons disease, in case you'd like to know more.
American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders
CURED Foundation

This disease affects just about 1 in 10,000 children, has no known cure, and the only management options are actually medications meant for other problems. It is a Rare disease as defined by the Rare Disease Organization worldwide. These are the only two foundations, children born with this disorder have only begun to live past childhood in the last 6 or 7 years.

Having a diet that only allows you to eat certain foods is difficult but hopefully all is going well for you and your family.

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I personally do not mind them. Yes, I can admit that they can be annoying. But I admire that the fact that they fight in what they believe in and most of them do have valid points. I feel like people are too harsh on them because they don't want to give up Mcdonalds. But at the same time, you can't really disagree that animals are being treated awful. We all know in the back of our heads that they animals are being treated awful for the sake of over-supply on food. Do I eat meat? Yes, I do. Do I disregard what Vegans and Vegetarians display for the sake of knowing, I do not. I want to know what I am eating, how it was killed , and so-forth. That's why I buy my meat at the local butcher shops.
Little Dead Soldier
I personally do not mind them. Yes, I can admit that they can be annoying. But I admire that the fact that they fight in what they believe in and most of them do have valid points. I feel like people are too harsh on them because they don't want to give up Mcdonalds. But at the same time, you can't really disagree that animals are being treated awful. We all know in the back of our heads that they animals are being treated awful for the sake of over-supply on food. Do I eat meat? Yes, I do. Do I disregard what Vegans and Vegetarians display for the sake of knowing, I do not. I want to know what I am eating, how it was killed , and so-forth. That's why I buy my meat at the local butcher shops.

God, I love you. It's so refreshing to have an omnivore understand why vegans are so passionate and not have them shut out everything we say.

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Thisistotallyridiculous
Little Dead Soldier

God, I love you. It's so refreshing to have an omnivore understand why vegans are so passionate and not have them shut out everything we say.

You're welcome. 3nodding
kodomokurai
I'm not bothered by the ones spreading awareness for animal abuse in factory farms. I live in a very rural area so I buy almost no meat from a store. All of my meat comes from a farm, a real farm about 15min from my home. Most of my eggs come from there too since October, prior to that I was raising chickens and ducks in my yard, they were very happy in case you were wondering.

Now my problem lies with the activists who begrudge me my lifestyle, the ones who interrupt my dinner or (as an ex friend did) post messages on my facebook wall aimed at me, because I'm not a vegan like her.

I'm making meals for a family that can't have Gluten, Fructose, Sucrose, Sorbitol, or Dairy (proteins, not lactose intolerance). This means I am trying to raise a child that can NOT eat Fruit without getting go-to-the-hospital sick. that means nothing with fruit in it, nothing made with fruit sugars, and nothing made with regular sugar because it comes from a plant. He can have very few veggies and is allergic to dairy proteins also. He only gets protein from meat and eggs. and my husband can't have Gluten. so no breads in the house either. and the dairy protein problem means that nothing, NOTHING with milk or milk by products can be used. So those 'veggie cheese' things y'all eat. He can't have, they have casein in them, it's a milk product and will make him ill.

For someone to turn around and preach to me about the benefits of removing meat and eggs from my diet makes me very angry. I deal with enough and there is enough food my son wants but can not have, to have someone give me s**t because meat is one of the maybe 15 foods my kid can eat without getting physically ill pisses me right the ******** off.

Thank you for understanding and I'm sorry the vegetarians you know aren't so understanding.

Also, Daiya has no casein or any milk products and it's awesome! Your son can enjoy mac n 'cheese' (with rice pasta) just like a regular kid. It makes the best mac n cheese. I just add a bit of almond milk and either Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (the Light part is important since the other kinds have dairy). Hopefully you can find it in your area, cause it's delicious.

Protein can also come from beans, nuts, and seeds too, so you don't always have to rely on meat for protein. You're probably aware of that but I wasn't sure so thought I'd say it in case. Avocado also has 'more usable protein than a 1 lb steak' - but I'm not sure if it has fructose in it or not.

If those aren't reliable options for you though I understand and I think it's awesome that you take care of where your animal products come from.

4,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I hate preachy meatheads... want to eat cookies together nao?

Fashionable Genius

kodomokurai
I'm not bothered by the ones spreading awareness for animal abuse in factory farms. I live in a very rural area so I buy almost no meat from a store. All of my meat comes from a farm, a real farm about 15min from my home. Most of my eggs come from there too since October, prior to that I was raising chickens and ducks in my yard, they were very happy in case you were wondering.

Now my problem lies with the activists who begrudge me my lifestyle, the ones who interrupt my dinner or (as an ex friend did) post messages on my facebook wall aimed at me, because I'm not a vegan like her.

I'm making meals for a family that can't have Gluten, Fructose, Sucrose, Sorbitol, or Dairy (proteins, not lactose intolerance). This means I am trying to raise a child that can NOT eat Fruit without getting go-to-the-hospital sick. that means nothing with fruit in it, nothing made with fruit sugars, and nothing made with regular sugar because it comes from a plant. He can have very few veggies and is allergic to dairy proteins also. He only gets protein from meat and eggs. and my husband can't have Gluten. so no breads in the house either. and the dairy protein problem means that nothing, NOTHING with milk or milk by products can be used. So those 'veggie cheese' things y'all eat. He can't have, they have casein in them, it's a milk product and will make him ill.

For someone to turn around and preach to me about the benefits of removing meat and eggs from my diet makes me very angry. I deal with enough and there is enough food my son wants but can not have, to have someone give me s**t because meat is one of the maybe 15 foods my kid can eat without getting physically ill pisses me right the ******** off.

Does your son have PKU or glactosuria? The symptoms you mentioned sound a lot like it, and I remember reading a bit about it in pediatrics class last week. Either way, reading that made me feel sad for your son. sad
Thisistotallyridiculous
kodomokurai

Thank you for understanding and I'm sorry the vegetarians you know aren't so understanding.

Also, Daiya has no casein or any milk products and it's awesome! Your son can enjoy mac n 'cheese' (with rice pasta) just like a regular kid. It makes the best mac n cheese. I just add a bit of almond milk and either Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (the Light part is important since the other kinds have dairy). Hopefully you can find it in your area, cause it's delicious.

Protein can also come from beans, nuts, and seeds too, so you don't always have to rely on meat for protein. You're probably aware of that but I wasn't sure so thought I'd say it in case. Avocado also has 'more usable protein than a 1 lb steak' - but I'm not sure if it has fructose in it or not.

If those aren't reliable options for you though I understand and I think it's awesome that you take care of where your animal products come from.

I didn't think to look at the light, I only looked at the regular. And the earth balance has sorbitol in it. at least I think it was earth balance, one of them.

Essentially having a fructose intolerance as severe as his means if it's a plant he probably shouldn't have it. He does alright with Broccoli, lettuce, green beans, and zuchini once they've been cooked. Prior to cooking hem even their fructose levels will set him off, and carrots, tomatoes ect. will set him off even after being cooked. Fructose is in almost all plant life.

We've always bought our food from around here, with a kid like mine and a husband like mine it's WAY safer and healthier for us and our budgets to buy from neighbors. Organic 'cage free' eggs and meat at a grocer costs 4 to 5x factory food does. And buying at at a farm only costs maybe 2x what factory produced does. We buy CSA veggies from them all summer too, dealing locally means they bend the rules for us a bit and try not to toss too much fruit into our shares each week so we get mostly usable food.

If you can join a CSA program in your area I highly recomend it. you pay $200ish for (in my area) 10lbs a week of fresh in season fruit and veggies, for 13 weeks starting in June. It's great.

Partying Prophet

Veggie for 10 years and I've never been preachy.

7,150 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
That sucks. Im sorry. cry
I know what you mean though, the medicine Im on makes my already fast matablism speed up. So I have to eat meat on a daily basis, otherwise my ribs would be showing right now.
Even when I tell Vegans nazis this, they still have the nerve to call me selfish and scream at me on how my lifestyle is horrible and how theirs is superior for whatever reason. neutral
Ugh, I really dont get why they just cant leave us alone after we decline their lifestyle the first time.
kodomokurai
Im not bothered by the ones spreading awareness for animal abuse in factory farms. I live in a very rural area so I buy almost no meat from a store. All of my meat comes from a farm, a real farm about 15min from my home. Most of my eggs come from there too since October, prior to that I was raising chickens and ducks in my yard, they were very happy in case you were wondering.

Now my problem lies with the activists who begrudge me my lifestyle, the ones who interrupt my dinner or as an ex friend did) post messages on my facebook wall aimed at me, because Im not a vegan like her.

Im making meals for a family that cant have Gluten, Fructose, Sucrose, Sorbitol, or Dairy proteins, not lactose intolerance). This means I am trying to raise a child that can NOT eat Fruit without getting go-to-the-hospital sick. that means nothing with fruit in it, nothing made with fruit sugars, and nothing made with regular sugar because it comes from a plant. He can have very few veggies and is allergic to dairy proteins also. He only gets protein from meat and eggs. and my husband cant have Gluten. so no breads in the house either. and the dairy protein problem means that nothing, NOTHING with milk or milk by products can be used. So those veggie cheese things yall eat. He cant have, they have casein in them, its a milk product and will make him ill.

Elizabeth of York
kodomokurai

Does your son have PKU? The symptoms you mentioned sound a lot like it, and I remember reading a bit about it in pediatrics class last week. Either way, reading that made me feel sad for your son. sad

No he has Eosinophilic Gastroenteritus. His white blood cells treat food like a bacteria and attack it. Similar symptoms, but hugely different.

Fashionable Shopper

Thisistotallyridiculous
ChemicaI Warfare
Thisistotallyridiculous
I get more annoyed by omnivores who always assume, no matter how polite a vegan is, that the vegan is judging them and being preachy when all they're doing is presenting facts.

They automatically go into defense mode because it makes them question their lifestyle.

"Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

And when someone dispels those myths, of course they get angry because it makes them uncomfortable.

They shove information down people's throats without any concent.

Sometimes information needs to be shoved down people's throats. Honestly people need to know the information and it's depressing how ungrateful people are when someone takes the time and effort to present the information to them.

Since when did everyone hate information? Since it was UNCOMFORTABLE. Simply psychology that drives all omnivores' arguments. Ugh.

You would think eating meat was a religion.
User ImageA lot of times what's being presented is propaganda which doesn't make it fact all of the time. Either way, no one wants something shoved down their throats.

Honestly I find eating a meatless/animal product-less diet to be revolting to my tastes. I don't like A LOT of things. I'd probably starve myself if I was forced to live a vegan lifestyle.

Fashionable Genius

kodomokurai
Elizabeth of York
kodomokurai

Does your son have PKU? The symptoms you mentioned sound a lot like it, and I remember reading a bit about it in pediatrics class last week. Either way, reading that made me feel sad for your son. sad

No he has Eosinophilic Gastroenteritus. His white blood cells treat food like a bacteria and attack it. Similar symptoms, but hugely different.

My class hasn't gotten to pediatricvblood disorders yet but we will be soon. I'll be sure to remember it now when it comes up! XD Anyway, I wish all the best for your son. He's very cute by the way in your sig pic wink
kodomokurai
Thisistotallyridiculous
kodomokurai

I didn't think to look at the light, I only looked at the regular. And the earth balance has sorbitol in it. at least I think it was earth balance, one of them.

Essentially having a fructose intolerance as severe as his means if it's a plant he probably shouldn't have it. He does alright with Broccoli, lettuce, green beans, and zuchini once they've been cooked. Prior to cooking hem even their fructose levels will set him off, and carrots, tomatoes ect. will set him off even after being cooked. Fructose is in almost all plant life.

We've always bought our food from around here, with a kid like mine and a husband like mine it's WAY safer and healthier for us and our budgets to buy from neighbors. Organic 'cage free' eggs and meat at a grocer costs 4 to 5x factory food does. And buying at at a farm only costs maybe 2x what factory produced does. We buy CSA veggies from them all summer too, dealing locally means they bend the rules for us a bit and try not to toss too much fruit into our shares each week so we get mostly usable food.

If you can join a CSA program in your area I highly recomend it. you pay $200ish for (in my area) 10lbs a week of fresh in season fruit and veggies, for 13 weeks starting in June. It's great.

Ah, sorry I assumed fructose was just in sugary fruits for some reason.

That's really awesome though, a friend of mine was just telling me the other day about something like that. I wonder if it's the same program.
That would be great incentive to use more fresh veggies in my diet.
I Shall Grant You NoMercy
That sucks. Im sorry. cry
I know what you mean though, the medicine Im on makes my already fast matablism speed up. So I have to eat meat on a daily basis, otherwise my ribs would be showing right now.
Even when I tell Vegans nazis this, they still have the nerve to call me selfish and scream at me on how my lifestyle is horrible and how theirs is superior for whatever reason. neutral
Ugh, I really dont get why they just cant leave us alone after we decline their lifestyle the first time.
kodomokurai
Im not bothered by the ones spreading awareness for animal abuse in factory farms. I live in a very rural area so I buy almost no meat from a store. All of my meat comes from a farm, a real farm about 15min from my home. Most of my eggs come from there too since October, prior to that I was raising chickens and ducks in my yard, they were very happy in case you were wondering.

Now my problem lies with the activists who begrudge me my lifestyle, the ones who interrupt my dinner or as an ex friend did) post messages on my facebook wall aimed at me, because Im not a vegan like her.

Im making meals for a family that cant have Gluten, Fructose, Sucrose, Sorbitol, or Dairy proteins, not lactose intolerance). This means I am trying to raise a child that can NOT eat Fruit without getting go-to-the-hospital sick. that means nothing with fruit in it, nothing made with fruit sugars, and nothing made with regular sugar because it comes from a plant. He can have very few veggies and is allergic to dairy proteins also. He only gets protein from meat and eggs. and my husband cant have Gluten. so no breads in the house either. and the dairy protein problem means that nothing, NOTHING with milk or milk by products can be used. So those veggie cheese things yall eat. He cant have, they have casein in them, its a milk product and will make him ill.

I'm sorry but I don't actually think we're on the same page here. I've seen some of your previous posts and We have a difference of opinion. I do respect their lifestyle and I do not indirectly or directly support factory foods. I very rarely have trouble with vegan and vegitarian friends, I would never call them nazis and I have only on very few occasions had to explain my lifestyle more than once. Most of my veggie friends LOVE my house because I'm so accustom to cooking the same meal 2 or 3 different ways that adding a veggie option for them is no trouble.

I have done alot of research and am very aware of where the food in my household comes from. I do not blindly hate anyone and due to my awareness and active approach to not supporting factory farms most activist vegans don't have a problem with me. My issue is with a few people who can't do anything under an 11 on the extreme scale.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games