Welcome to Gaia! ::

Phantom

So in high school health class I was taught that the female reproductive system consisted of only the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and uterus, and that all together this was called the v****a. And I was told that men just have a p***s. I never heard the word clitoris, urethra, labia, or testes. Three years later I'm finally learning otherwise through my own research sweatdrop

Is this the school's fault, my parent's fault? How did everyone else learn about this stuff?
If sex ed is going to be taught in schools shouldn't they be doing a better job?!

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I was NEVER taught about sex in school, or by my parents.
I learnt by my sisters teasing, my own research and by talking to friends..
i learned in 5th and 6th grade.
More or less the same thing at my school. They give basic detail about the p***s and the v****a and that's it. Really they just teach about the "educational" parts, the parts that contribute to reproduction. I've actually found out loads of stuff from gaia, not my parent. There was a FrizzlesSticks Safer Sex Kit forum or something like that on this forum, it had loads of good sites....
Sex Ed should really teach more, but i guess they wouldn't want to encourage masturbation because NONE does/talks about that now do they? (bad sarcasm)
Wow. It wasn't until two or three years ago that I realized how fortunate I was to have received comprehensive sex education from my parents and my school.

I definitely think that comprehensive sex education should be mandatory. It's ridiculous how many people are misinformed about how their bodies work.
I was taught the basics in High School to. Hated sex-ed though.
GOOGLE heart

Phantom

junkie white trash
GOOGLE heart

i am, and i'm getting confused sweatdrop
I wasn't really taught anything about sex at school. I left 2 years early though, so maybe they taught it in later years. My parents didn't teach me anything about it either, everything I know came from my own research ninja .
ur fault...

Dapper Explorer

Crazy_Lady1234
ur fault...
Not if Wikipedia teaches better than high school.

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
Hi-5 right here!!

I was taught the same information... but I'm taking a human sex course and I've learned WAY more than what high school sex ed taught. I'm calling the course as college sex-ed course because it's all about sexuality.
its no ones fault it is just ther fact of the age group and they try to keep it from getting to far because in grade 5 kids are unmature and wont handle it as well and someone in grade 9

Tipsy Codger

3,850 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Professional Snowfriend Architect 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
This is a big reason why we need to smack anyone who goes for abstinence-only sex ed or having no sex ed at all: restricting teachings about contraceptives paves the way for the teacher to skimp on other things as well, they they don't necessarily want you to know.

Read "The Girls Who Went Away" to read about what this sort of thing causes- the lack of information causes unwanted pregnancies, and in the 50s-60s the girls who wound up "in trouble" were sent away and forced to give up their children. Abortion wasn't exactly an option in those days, nor was keeping the child. Pity they didn't just INFORM the girls.

[Read a review here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/books/review/11harrison.html?pagewanted=1 ]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff