Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chartreusethewaterdemon
Thisistotallyridiculous
What sort of humanitarianism effort have you been a part of? Have you ever been a part of one?
Working to spread awareness of the effects factory farming has on human health, the environment, and the animals through posting information on countless forums, facebook, and my blog completely dedicated to factory farming.

Which ones do you find notable?
Besides boycotting factory farming - the fair trade movement, since we can directly impact the lives of workers (and slaves) in foreign countries by withdrawing our support of the companies that enslave them. There are probably a lot I'm forgetting right now but that's just the one that comes to mind since I have to be aware of it every time I purchase anything.

Which ones are you tired of? (other than Kony, lets be creative now.)

I'm tired of the ones I can't personally do anything about. I think they're the most talked about ones simply because people want to hate things only as long as it doesn't affect their daily lives in any way whatsoever.

Have you ever donated to a cause? if so in what form? (labor/money/opinion)

I recently donated $25 to The Humane Society of the United State's fund to stand against factory farming and puppy mills: https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Donation2?df_id=8760&8760.donation=form1&s_src=fbty8760

You really have it together Ms. 3nodding Thank you so much for keeping those issues in mind, more people should.

Ahhh, such a relief to have support. Thank you so much. heart It's actually making me a little emotional since most everyone insults me for caring about these issues. Factory farming is a sensitive topic for people especially, since it affects what they eat every day. Sadly this is exactly the reason the animals suffer so immensely, because people don't want to hear it.

The Committee Staff Member

This topic came up out of nowhere. Suddenly everybody jumps on the bandwagon and acts like they know what they're talking about, because someone showed them one video on YouTube that is 29:59 long about Kony 2012. It sounds like some presidential campaign. Meanwhile, in South Africa, the Boer are murdered and tortured, but nobody talks about that.
Hitch Slap
Thisistotallyridiculous
Hitch Slap
Share these things on sites where it's not a bunch of teenagers. Like Facebook or YouTube. Kids on Gaia aren't going to be able to do much. Some of us are adults but most Gaians are still in high school.

Don't use being a teenager as an excuse. If nothing else you can be a voice for the issues to be heard.

Talk to your parents about the issues and maybe they can suggest ways you both can help.

The most important thing when dealing with humanitarian, environmental, and animal welfare issues is really just getting the information out to people. Anyone who has the ability to talk or write can do that, regardless of age or education level.
I'm 22 years old. Sure we can use Gaia to get kids to spread the news but otherwise it's kind of useless here. They need to spread it to places where MILLIONS of people post everyday. And not just a single age group. I am not saying Gaia is a bad place to start, but don't stop here.

When I googled 'most popular forums', this is what came up. I do need to look for a new outlet though definitely. But I think for now even if most people will get defensive when I post the information, it is still getting out to a lot of people. And I hope that for every person that understands the significance of the issues, they will tell more.

Do you know of any of those places? I feel as though I've tried every forum I could google/think of, but this has been the site that gets the most responses.

Dapper Phantom

Thisistotallyridiculous
Hitch Slap
Thisistotallyridiculous
Hitch Slap
Share these things on sites where it's not a bunch of teenagers. Like Facebook or YouTube. Kids on Gaia aren't going to be able to do much. Some of us are adults but most Gaians are still in high school.

Don't use being a teenager as an excuse. If nothing else you can be a voice for the issues to be heard.

Talk to your parents about the issues and maybe they can suggest ways you both can help.

The most important thing when dealing with humanitarian, environmental, and animal welfare issues is really just getting the information out to people. Anyone who has the ability to talk or write can do that, regardless of age or education level.
I'm 22 years old. Sure we can use Gaia to get kids to spread the news but otherwise it's kind of useless here. They need to spread it to places where MILLIONS of people post everyday. And not just a single age group. I am not saying Gaia is a bad place to start, but don't stop here.

When I googled 'most popular forums', this is what came up. I do need to look for a new outlet though definitely. But I think for now even if most people will get defensive when I post the information, it is still getting out to a lot of people. And I hope that for every person that understands the significance of the issues, they will tell more.

Do you know of any of those places? I feel as though I've tried every forum I could google/think of, but this has been the site that gets the most responses.
Facebook is far more popular. I mean by the millions.

Fanatical Codger

Thisistotallyridiculous
Chartreusethewaterdemon
Thisistotallyridiculous
What sort of humanitarianism effort have you been a part of? Have you ever been a part of one?
Working to spread awareness of the effects factory farming has on human health, the environment, and the animals through posting information on countless forums, facebook, and my blog completely dedicated to factory farming.

Besides boycotting factory farming - the fair trade movement, since we can directly impact the lives of workers (and slaves) in foreign countries by withdrawing our support of the companies that enslave them. There are probably a lot I'm forgetting right now but that's just the one that comes to mind since I have to be aware of it every time I purchase anything.

I'm tired of the ones I can't personally do anything about. I think they're the most talked about ones simply because people want to hate things only as long as it doesn't affect their daily lives in any way whatsoever.

I recently donated $25 to The Humane Society of the United State's fund to stand against factory farming and puppy mills: https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Donation2?df_id=8760&8760.donation=form1&s_src=fbty8760

You really have it together Ms. 3nodding Thank you so much for keeping those issues in mind, more people should.

Ahhh, such a relief to have support. Thank you so much. heart It's actually making me a little emotional since most everyone insults me for caring about these issues. Factory farming is a sensitive topic for people especially, since it affects what they eat every day. Sadly this is exactly the reason the animals suffer so immensely, because people don't want to hear it.

I've looked into the subject a bit during an expository writing class, the articles I read on the American food industry has definitely brought me to make some different decisions. You are most welcome, because we need more people to speak up about the environmental hazards these (unsettlingly few yet extremely relied upon) massive slaughter houses make, along with the way corn crops are regulated ( never has the term wasteful been so applicable.)
Hitch Slap
Thisistotallyridiculous
Hitch Slap
Thisistotallyridiculous
Hitch Slap

Facebook is far more popular. I mean by the millions.

Oh yeah, true. I meant besides that (even though I forgot to say it). I'm already using facebook a bit obsessively. But I'd like to get to more people through different methods. I've been warned for spamming before on facebook. I couldn't resist it though. It was so easy for me, and got the information to way more people. All I had to do was press Ctrl + V on every page I went to.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
User Image xxx User Image xxx User Image

I've helped with the Cat Protection League, adopted a few tigers, and have also been involved in a few causes and petitions online.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is a Humanitarian. Sometimes it just takes a little something to get them to show it.

Lonely Saint

I have a sponsor kid from Zambia through Plan. Last year, I donated and raised awareness for earthquake relief in Japan. Given that I've only been financially free to do whatever the ******** I want for two and half years and my parents were strictly opposed to giving a penny to any cause, this is the best I've been able to do, throwing a couple coins here and there aside.

I'm more proud of the actual, active awareness raising I've been doing since March 2011 and the tiny bit I've been able to strip off of my own budget to give someone else - but truthfully, I think the more important or effective way of helping anyone has been the Plan sponsorship. They get a ******** 1/3 of what I have monthly for myself, so it better do something good as well.

What do you think it means for something to benefit humanity, what is your idea of something that would make the world a better place?
This is a way too broad question, I've only had one cup of coffee so far. In general, things that are beneficial to humanity and/or nature include active efforts to correct wrongs that should not be in place and can be solved without majorly interfering with efficiency or even improving it in cases such as land usage and animal rights, or improving the quality of life of people and/or animals in general. God, that makes no sense, let's just say that helping one another when help is needed is generally the way to improve the world we inhabit. There are as many wrongs as there are rights, as everything can be done either way, so listing these is just too much, lol.
My favourite subjects are the efforts to save endangered animals, stopping human trafficking, helping the people of developing countries who haven't got the access to the most basic needs (clean water, schooling, health services, proper housing, you name it) and efforts at helping victims of war.

I have to admit it, but girls. Girls this girls that. I know girls get the short end of the stick, but helping girls shouldn't obscure the fact that boys suffer as well. Generally, this doesn't bother me much, but for example in child sponsorship, boys just never get a sponsor at all. They need one as much but the stereotypical poor mistreated girl is the one people want to help, not the boy who has got 'everything so much better'.
I'm not saying we need to give men more attention and ignore the fact women are mistreated. I'm saying we shouldn't forget men because women suffer too.

Mostly money and raising awareness both online and offline. If I have the chance, I'll discuss the things wrong with this world, and if I see a way to help, I'll try to get the message forwards to the next person who might donate. This is sadly the most I can do right now. One day, I'll do much more, but before that, I need to get myself out the gutter.
What's a Kony 2012?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces