Welcome to Gaia! ::

How was your life style before going into college and did it change?
After I graduated HS I went to a junior college for my first two years of school. They were pretty good a bit difficult making the adjustment and then again after my mom divorced and we had to move, but over all I think I adjusted very well considering I got my associates, and am now working towards my bachelors.

What did you regret while living on campus?
I never lived on campus, but I do live close to campus and do have a roommate and it's pretty great.

Would you have lived at home instead than on campus?
I did live at home, and it helped me to get on my feet and know what to expect when I moved out, so I would say that's a good thing about being at home.

From my friends who lived on campus and off campus they all say they liked being in the dorms for the most part because they got the real experience of what college is like.

Magnetic Player

smile Hello ,ok I've been in College for 1and half years ,I love it,I'm four hours away from my folks,I'm doing great ,I work nights to eat ,but it's satisfying to know I did it ,I'm going after my Dream smile I have 3 other girls ~~from my hometown ,we share a place ,pretty cheap ,feels good smile
I did both dorming and commuting. Commuting is a lot more structured because you have less time on campus, you HAVE to get things done. But you miss out on social events and making more friends than you otherwise would have. Dorming was fun but as many have already mentioned, time management and self responsibility are key. Plus the cost is enormous.

As far as the transition, I went to a college prep school and was very well prepared for my classes. But it's still a huge culture shock and I flunked out of a top 50 US university because I couldn't get out of my room some times.You're suddenly a small fish in a big pond etc. It's exciting and extremely scary and if your nerves get you, bad things happen.

Gracious Receiver

7,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
It sucks being a poor college student. Can't afford a thing beyond necessities.

I started out living at a dorm with shared kitchens and bathrooms. It was hell, because we couldn't agree on cleanliness. Then I moved into a studio apartment by myself. There's freedom in that, but unless you somehow get talking with your neighbours, it gets lonely.

Tons... TONS! Of reading. Never have I read so much in my life. 50-60 pages per lecture.

I'm interning right now, but as an integrated part of my post-grad. It's absolutely delightful to be out there putting knowledge into practice, rather than having you head in a book 24-7.

In short: Can't wait to finish, so that I can put it all into practice every day, and earn a good living while doing so.

Fanatical Phantom

I lived on campus for my undergrad because I went away for it, and it was a terrible experience. Never do it. I didn't get along with any of my roommates and I was just homesick.

I'm doing my Master's now at the university back home, while living at home, and the stress level is so much lower. I'm much happier now.
Honestly, it's not worth it. I waited a couple years after high school to return to school.
In the process of raising my son, paid off a jeep, saved up some money.

It's not worth plunging yourself farther into debt than needed by staying in the dorms. Besides, at my college, there's usually a lot of drama, distraction, etc. It's not worth it in my opinion.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
In high school I was a lot lazier, and a lot less ambitious in pursuing my goals. College taught me how to be more independent (living on my own, managing finances) and how to self-motivate.

I never lived on campus, but I did move from home to live with roommates. I regret not doing more research into roommates, because I didn't get along with the first bunch I lived with. I found some other great people to split an apartment with my second year, and life got a lot smoother after that.

I did live at home for 2 years of college, before transferring and moving out. I don't regret it, it was nice having some more time at home with my dad, but the dynamic did change and I was more of a roommate than a child living with a parent. I'm glad I ended up moving out, though, because it gave me a chance to experience living on my own (since I moved in with my boyfriend right after I graduated, and now we're married, so that was my only living alone experience!)
When I was on a tour at a local college today, I overheard a Dad say to his son, "You could definitely lose your virginity here" the son immediately gets embarrassed and looks towards his mom to scold his dad, but she just nods in agreement

Conservative Genius

8,925 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
>2000 + 15
>paying to go to political reeducation centers

Clocksys's Princess

Fanatical Partygoer

11,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Dukes of Ice
When I was on a tour at a local college today, I overheard a Dad say to his son, "You could definitely lose your virginity here" the son immediately gets embarrassed and looks towards his mom to scold his dad, but she just nods in agreement

That's beautiful
"How was your life style before going into college and did it change?

for me, High School was so different form college life, I went to an all-girls school and ended up going to a coed so there's that. I lived super close to my high school and now I have to commute a good 40 minutes to get to school

sadly I never got that luxury, because my tuition is so damn high that commuting was cheaper

Would you have lived at home instead than on campus?"

I mean it does have its perks but at the same time is a pain. some commuters have a hard time connecting with people and making friends. personally I joined greek life, and it helped with the transition into college life and helped me find a place on campus as a commuter! 3nodding

Divine Shade

I'm not a pariah anymore. I actually have chances (Which I take) to become involved in my school's events and community, something I didn't get to experience in high school because I was a "nerd" and hung out with people who were also considered parasites to the student body.

Basically, I'm happy that I'm in college. I was miserable in high school because the high school stereotypes rang true when I was there. It still does today according to my best friend's little brother.

Forgot to answer the other two:

For me, I spent my first year in college out of state, so I didn't know anyone. I quickly became friends with a lot of people in the college because we all had similar interests. That and college dorm parties were... frequent and loud. I moved to separate housing the semester after. It was quiet, and I enjoyed that more than waking up next to one of the guys in my dorm passed out next to me on my bed from drinking too much.

I honestly preferred living on my own, if money wasn't an issue. I moved back with my parents though because of free food. Laundry and cleaning up the house are what I do when I'm at home, but I haven't poisoned myself in about 2 years. I also got much better at cooking once I moved back home.
How was your life style before going into college and did it change? I attended community college for three years and graduated before transferring to a state school. The school I transferred to was 6 hours away, so that was a pretty big change.

What did you regret while living on campus? The only thing I regret is not getting a meal plan. I'm not much of a cook, and frozen dinners and snack food get old really quick. :p

Would you have lived at home instead than on campus? Well since the school I chose to go to was on the other side of the state I didn't have a choice. But I wanted to get away from my area and explore somewhere new, so colleges around my house weren't even an option.

Right now I'm in my last semester of undergrad living in a house off campus with roommates, but I wouldn't go back and change my time living in the dorms for anything. It was a great experience where I met so many amazing people. It also helped in my adjustment to the campus and my surroundings, especially being so far away from home.

Invisible Hunter

8,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Invisibility 100
kauma16
With all these thread about majors, and whether to attend or not. I was wondering how is college life compared to when you got out of high school?

I'm wondering because I'm considering on moving on campus when I graduate. So I guess I got some basic questions for you guys.

Moving into college from high school is a great freedom. You become your own boss responsible only for yourself and your coursework. Granted this doesn't mean it is easy. This is very easy to become a professional in procrastination such as myself.

My biggest regret living on campus was not trying to meet more and more people trying to meet as many people and make as many friends i could. Make a ton of friends from all sort of places so you always have someone interesting and fun to hang with.

I enjoyed on campus for its ease to get to class the ability to met friends easily. However having your own place is much more fun so you can party, have get-togethers and not worry about hindering other people from studying or such things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff