Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Heh, preferably, I don't.
Sometimes I'll hover around people because I both do and do not want to interact with them. I want friends, so I stick in the general area, but I also want to leave and not talk to anyone ever, so I don't say anything to acknowledge them.
MsStarry
I'm a shy person but I'm a newly single mom of two super young kids and I want them to have more kid interaction, but it makes me nervous going to a meetup group alone :S The only people I know I can trust with handling my kids are my brother and mom but they work and are really awkward with the kids(I had to move in with my mom...again after my break up a few days ago). Just talking to people online doesn't really help to know who you would be meeting or what their true intentions are imo.
How do you meet new people?
If you're a parent,how do you introduce your kids to new kids/adults?
I like it.

Eloquent Explorer

6,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Millionaire 200
I'm not a parent so I can't do a thing about question 2, but to meet new people? I LIVE MY LIFE. It's not too hard, I'll show you how!

In any city, in any country - Get to any Walmart or Target you can get yourself to. When you reach the bowels of the store, select an item you can pay for. It will be one of many items with a price tag on it and not bolted to the ground. Be weary if the item you picked up looks opened or used for it will fail you some time after leaving the store. You will take this item to the front of the store, a long machine making unpleasant, grinding noises whilst it drives a belt towards it's master. If anyone else is already at this machine besides its master, turn around immediately for your death will NOT be swift. When you approach the master of the cash register, you are to look them in the eyes and smile, failing to do so will invoke the wrath of the person in front of you and your death WILL NOT be swift. Upon smiling and making eye contact, this person will say "Hello" or "Hi" or "How are you?" Sometimes even "Did you find everything okay." This is a good sign. If they say one of the first two phrases, you are to reply "Hello, how are you?" If they say the third phrase, you are to say "Fine, and you?" If they say the final phrase, you are to say "I did, how are you today?" If you utter anything out of line, your death will NOT be swift. If you have done everything correctly, this person will tell you a brief story about either their day or their life. They will then ask for money equivalent to the value of the item you picked up and then return the item you have chosen to you. This person is Well Met Stranger, number 1 out of 7.046 billion - how you greet the others may cost you dearly.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
MsStarry
Darkness blinds us all
I really would like to know too, although I sort of think I already know the answer, to just be more sociable and go to places and stuff like that.

I'm really shy too, sometimes it even takes me like 15 minutes to mentally prepare myself whenever I have to go outside burning_eyes this is what being sheltered turns you into
Ha ha yeah, I blame video games XD

Nah, video games totally taught me to run around pressing X in front of people. Not my fault they think I'm just standing there awkwardly. My social skills are fine; everyone else just sucks at being NPCs.

Rainbow Lover

I meet a lot of friends at a community center. My kids I let them play with the other kids around the neighborhood. They make friends at school, too.

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I often times meet people on the internet. When that doesn't happen, I just meet them at school or in the past have met them at a summer camp.
I don't meet new people. My child is in daycare, so he gets to play with other kids there. If you are a single mother, you may want to consider that option.

Magical Lunatic

I have trouble socializing with other people. There are only a few people that I'm comfortable with. Otherwise I find myself feeling very disconnected and detached from the rest of the world. I've had people tell me that I "have no personality" or that I "don't have any emotions" or that I'm simply very deadpan at times. I do tend to copy what other people do in order to blend in, but it doesn't last very long.

Meeting new people IRL is difficult, especially since by the time I'm done rehearsing in my head, either the moment has passed or I've just lost interest. Working retail for the last seven years has given me many opportunities to observe and emulate normal human behavior but I still have a habit of resetting.

TL;DR: I am a human vending machine.
DOROHEDOROBRO vIh
I have trouble socializing with other people. There are only a few people that I'm comfortable with. Otherwise I find myself feeling very disconnected and detached from the rest of the world. I've had people tell me that I "have no personality" or that I "don't have any emotions" or that I'm simply very deadpan at times. I do tend to copy what other people do in order to blend in, but it doesn't last very long.

Meeting new people IRL is difficult, especially since by the time I'm done rehearsing in my head, either the moment has passed or I've just lost interest. Working retail for the last seven years has given me many opportunities to observe and emulate normal human behavior but I still have a habit of resetting.

watching others is how people learn what to do and what not to do socially. everyone does it to test the waters and figure out who they are.

but here's a question: how do you act around the few you are comfy with?

Dapper Gaian

1,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Timid 100
  • Full closet 200
If your kids are old enough to play at a park, take them to the same park over and over. They will make friends, then find the parental units of those friends, and ask to set up a play date.
Most parents like to socialize their kids, too.

I'm introverted, so I know it can be hard. Outside of going to school/work/friends I already have, it's hard to meet new people. Your kids will help you with this.

If I can give you one insider tip. People would rather have friends than be alone.
Most will want a new friend as much as you do, but sometimes they can be just as bad about it. You're sweet, and nice, you'll attract the same sort of people.

Good luck!
Hey, Fall is just around the corner. The temperatures will cool down, and there is HALLOWEEN! biggrin If your kids are too young to trick-or-treat, then why not try this: Deck your house out to be a kid-friendly attraction. Have a bunch of snacks and candy out in your front lawn, invite your family and friends, and kinda have a mini-halloween party outside. People will come up to you naturally with their kids, conversation starts with discussing costumes and stuff, and maybe you find some other moms with young kids who you can hit it off with or even tag along. Load the the kids up in strollers or something, and go have fun. To me, Halloween is the best time to mingle with people because EVERYONE is out and about with their kids, having fun.

Friendly Conversationalist

7,950 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I usually just end up putting in my two cents on a conversation if they seem friendly enough.
Eventually, they see I'm approachable and then I keep talking to them in class.
I understand you don't have school anymore so it may not be as easy sweatdrop , but perhaps through volunteering you could meet people. Just a place where you're constantly with people. You could also ask friends to introduce you, or have a group outing and bring you along.

Understand this: sometimes with life but with people especially - YOU need to make the FIRST MOVE. Honestly, the absolute worst thing that could happen to you is rejection. neutral
People NEVER mind if you make the first move unless thy're having a bad moment/day. It can help to say some fun facts about yourself, "I am pretty shy, so sorry if I don't really know what to say."
It makes people chuckle whenever I tell them I'm a little shy. It can't go wrong, and then they shouldn't be as angry at you if you don't say anything to them. smile They'll probably try to talk to you, as I do with other shy people.

I hope this helped a bit. mrgreen

Magical Lunatic

melted glass slipper
DOROHEDOROBRO vIh

watching others is how people learn what to do and what not to do socially. everyone does it to test the waters and figure out who they are.

For the few that I actually feel connected to, I act unrestrained and more natural in my ability to emote. I don't have to put up a front. I feel less shut in and closed off though I still have some problems expressing myself at times, but the people (or just person considering how things seem to be going lately) that I am close to have been supportive. In contrast, I feel emotionally exhausted around other people.
DOROHEDOROBRO vIh
melted glass slipper
DOROHEDOROBRO vIh

For the few that I actually feel connected to, I act unrestrained and more natural in my ability to emote. I don't have to put up a front. I feel less shut in and closed off though I still have some problems expressing myself at times, but the people (or just person considering how things seem to be going lately) that I am close to have been supportive. In contrast, I feel emotionally exhausted around other people.

maybe exhaustion is the reason why you're disconnected
if you go into a social situation feeling drained or expecting to be, then people are going to think you're disinterested
altho i'm getting the impression you might be bored if nothing is catching your attention enough for you to feel attached

Wealthy Vampire

Well, depends on how you mean for them to meet, myself, I just take my son to theme parks, parks, local pool or water park, depends on what kind of friends you're looking for as to answer the question properly. Friend for you, would not introduce the kids right away. Friend for them, go for it right off the bat, my son has met a few of my friends. Though hes 5 now so I may not give the best advice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff