Welcome to Gaia! ::

How do you make money and provide for your household?
A well-paying job? An under-the-table-job? Taking what you can get?
How important is that responsibility to you? Do you enjoy it? Despise it?
Does it give you honor? Does it make you feel used?
Perhaps you don't make money for your household, but only for yourself. Are you saving?
Does a job give you more responsibility or more headaches?
How did you get you job?
How many hours a week do you work?

This is for opinions, NOT facts:
What do you feel is a wrong way to make money? Would you ever do it?
Would you ever work for Wal-Mart? Are you against what they do?
Does the person make the job, or does the job make the person?
Would you prefer to do hiring or firing?
EDIT: Do you remember how you made your very first dollar?
heart

Also, feel free to share any stories about your past or present jobs, future job goals, or any advice to everyone about the working society.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
So, no one has a job? gonk
I remember when I was younger, probably around 11 or 12 years-old, my family and I would sell slushies at the end of our driveway during the summertime. The business was slow since we lived on a side street, but we always enjoyed what we never sold. 3nodding

I haven't really had my first job yet. It sucks, but I'm searching. My school schedule usually throws people off.

Now, I'd never try and go for prostitution, just for the simple fact that I personally don't want to view my own sexual experiences as a business deal or a way to make money. I've never met a prostitute before, but I'm sure I have nothing against them. I've been reading about the study of their occupation in my sociology class and I find what they do to be interesting. But what fits the life of one, doesn't fit the life of many.

And, I think I would rather do the hiring for a job. I would hate to see the negative reactions of people if I had to fire them. The frowns, the anger, the obscenities...I think I'd like to have the opposite.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

2,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
i live with my mom im 16. i try to wok but now im unemployed so i try to cut back my spending since i dont have an income.
i mooch off of my parents! (i'm seventeen!)

when i do get a job, it will have to be something interesting lol i am so easily distracted and i get bored really quickly, so it's got to be something that keeps my brain happy XD
I'm 18.
I've been workin since 16 and providing for myself at 17.
At the moment, I work front desk at a Super8. lol
I've been working at Starbucks for over a year. I hate it, a lot. I'm really not a "people person," so I have a lot of difficulty being forced to interact with so many strangers. It's especially difficult since a lot of them are nitpicky yuppies with unattainably high standards and demands. I'd like to think that I'm not a very misanthropic person, but sometimes working at Starbucks makes me thoroughly disgusted with humanity. I really enjoy the cleaning, though. I'd much, much rather mop, take out the trash, scrub the mop sink, scrub the grout, etc. than interact with customers.
It pays well, has good benefits, and hours are flexible--in theory, that is.
We're encouraged to be as pleasant and cheerful as possible, which is a bit out-of-character for me, so I usually come home feeling pretty crappy and fake, stewing over all the nasty customers I had to deal with.
I have to wake up pretty early sometimes--I'm often scheduled to come in at 4:30am, but I'm also scheduled to come in "later," around 5:00am-8:00am. I'm not really a morning person, but it doesn't bother me too much. Plus, free coffee!

I'm moving, so tomorrow is supposed to be my last day, unless I decide to transfer to another store. I could really use the money, but I dread the thought of having to work at Starbucks any longer. It's silly, I know. There really is no need for me to have such a bad attitude about it, but I do. It's just not well suited for me.

-Is there a "wrong" way to make money? I believe "right" and "wrong" are relative.
-I have nothing against Wal-Mart. All major corporations are "evil." I dont know why people are so riled up about Wal-Mart.
-The person makes the job, definitely.
-Well, I think most people would much rather hire people than fire people.
I'm twenty and unemployed! But I'm looking for field and museum work.
16 and working at an awkward resturant... waiter.. kind blows cuz i wanna get outta there so back and join the military
I make money selling a lot on ebay.
I sell old clothes, new clothes and shoes Ive not worn, junk my family gives me and what i find in charity shops.
Also I go to car boot sales to find things.
Im digupkaydeesbones on ebay and im listing more as we speak
johnandmaddy
16 and working at an awkward resturant... waiter.. kind blows cuz i wanna get outta there so back and join the military

Cool, what branch are you planning on joining?
How do you make money and provide for your household?

1. I'm working as a bellhop currently, lol. I'm so ashamed. But they're going to promote me to bartender next year (or around October, actually), and I'm very excited. I love bartending. heart
2. I'm also, however, a rollerboy. I won't tell you specifics, because it's an underground thing, but think dogracing with people in rollerblades. Betting is allowed xp but I wonder sometimes if people come there for the race or for the lack of clothing some contestants have.
3. Also, because I go back and forth from a couple countries (it started out as going between two families), I've recently obtained a job in consumer statistics for a company I won't name. d=! They're working on cross-country expansion, so I'm exploring different advertising campaigns and surveying in order to find out what works in some places and what doesn't in others.

How important is that responsibility to you?

1. I love being a bellhop, usually. I love working with people and being social, and it means so much when people say thank you. I couldn't tell you if the pay is very special, though. Tips are nice.
2. It's more for my own fun/recreation to compete. There is a different prize amount every time, though.
3. It's pretty important. I feel like if I do a good job I'll get bumped up in rank quickly, and that sounds like it'll affect my cash flow by a lot.
Does it give you honor?/Does it make you feel used?
1. Not unless I'm being the 'better person' to a rude customer/yes
2. Yes/yes... I mean, come on, people are betting on/against me.
3. Yes/yes, lol.

Perhaps you don't make money for your household, but only for yourself. Are you saving?
I like to think I'm saving but I have no idea for what. I'll tell you, though, I'm pretty ready to move out of this apartment. I don't really want to go back to living with my host family, though, lol, I feel rude even though I shouldn't.

Does a job give you more responsibility or more headaches?
Both, bleh! Mostly the consumer reports. They keep you toned in math while you're not working, so it's like I'm in school again. Gross. razz

How did you get youR job?
1. Application + interview, pretty simple.
2. It was word of mouth, and then some more application/tryout.
3. I think my step-dad had some kind of connection to a high employee, because they actually contacted me. It might have had to do with my frequent flying record, I don't know. It was also application + interview. Most of it was done over the phone, at first.
How many hours a week do you work?
It varies a lot because of #3. #2 happens every night, and basically you choose when you want to participate.

What do you feel is a wrong way to make money? Would you ever do it?
Prostitution. If the price is right, I guess. That's a pretty big number, though... and I'd research the customer. I would never do that kind of thing no-questions-asked.

Would you ever work for Wal-Mart? Are you against what they do?
I have no idea what they do? All I know is people got shot in the parkinglot or something somewhere, so probably not. It's not a company I think about very often.

Does the person make the job, or does the job make the person?
The person makes the job.

Would you prefer to do hiring or firing?
Either or. I do what needs to be done, I think.

Do you remember how you made your very first dollar?
No lol but I remember my first job in North America was when I was travelling with one of the guys of my host family (visiting the other who was away on work or something, I don't even remember, I'll ask some time), and since we settled down for a little while, I was working as a carhop for White Spot. Let me tell you right now that there ARE people who will spit in your food, so be very careful. crying Of course I never did, I didn't handle the food pre-wrapping, I was a carhop ;(.

<b>edit</b>: lol if you guys reply to me in some way and hope for a response please PM me heart because, speaking of work, i've got some papers to complete & won't be hovering over the tthread.

--
Because Iruka is ****ing bad***. He takes huge Shurikens to the spine and decides getting a meal is more important then medical treatment. Nobody ****s with Iruka.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff