Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Conversationalist

Why would you take a job without knowing how much it pays? Seriously, you have to settle that in advance. Same thing with the hours.. how could you not ask about that before taking the job?
I'm assuming you didn't sign a contract, because it would include those things. And if you didn't sign anything you have no obligation to the workplace, which means you can go to your boss/manager and just quit.

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bornes
I guess I am getting defensive over this because I don't understand why she wouldn't take this golden opportunity to keep the job and improve her situation. She literally holds ALL of the cards.
But that's the problem, she doesn't hold any cards.

She's a low-level employee. She's expandable. If she quits, they'll just hire someone who has the same skill-set as her. Now, they don't want to go through the process of hiring someone else, because that's expensive and time-consuming. But that doesn't mean she has any negotiating power.

Since they've been shady from the beginning, she has no reason to think they'll honor any kind of promise to give her a raise. And this isn't about ignorance or anything, this is about getting sold. No one is immune from succumbing to the up-sell, I don't care how strong you think you are, it's happened to us all. Whether it's a bad boss fast-talking us into accepting a shitty position, a sales person convincing us to purchase a pointless warranty on our DVD player, or the cable company trying to convince us that the gold-level cable plan is super totally worth the obscenely expensive price, we've all been sold before.

And based on the OP, it sounds like she was sold the job from the beginning. Is it a really good idea to risk that happening again just so she can stand her ground?

Loiterer

Robot Giny
Bornes
I guess I am getting defensive over this because I don't understand why she wouldn't take this golden opportunity to keep the job and improve her situation. She literally holds ALL of the cards.
But that's the problem, she doesn't hold any cards.

She's a low-level employee. She's expandable. If she quits, they'll just hire someone who has the same skill-set as her. Now, they don't want to go through the process of hiring someone else, because that's expensive and time-consuming. But that doesn't mean she has any negotiating power.
But she wants to quit anyway, so she loses nothing if they don't respond to her demands.
Quote:
[...]
And based on the OP, it sounds like she was sold the job from the beginning. Is it a really good idea to risk that happening again just so she can stand her ground?
If she's not confident enough in herself to stand up to upsell then no. If that's the case she should just walk out.

But... Silly for me to assume people have confidence, I guess.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Ghosty Pie
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I guess on the app they didn't have the part where you put what you want your desired pay to be huh? And working more than your previous job with little pay is nothing new, welcome to the real world rolleyes

Just put in a two week's notice then. All you have to do is write on a piece of paper that you are submitting your two notice and put what your last day of work will be and send it to them.

The real world?

How is settling for less going for you?

User Image

Never said it was. rolleyes

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Lubovnik
little aishi chan
User Image

And working more than your previous job with little pay is nothing new, welcome to the real world rolleyes

I see the title of "Profitable Millionaire" was given incorrectly.

User Image

I can see you don't how to earn them and that it has nothing to do with the real world.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
User Image

I guess on the app they didn't have the part where you put what you want your desired pay to be huh? And working more than your previous job with little pay is nothing new, welcome to the real world rolleyes

Just put in a two week's notice then. All you have to do is write on a piece of paper that you are submitting your two notice and put what your last day of work will be and send it to them.

Well sure if you're a failure like me

But people with drive and the will to succeed, well they don't need to settle for dirt like that. They have options due to not being failures

User Image

Lol that so many people don't get what welcome to the real world means.

Dapper Reveler

little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
User Image

But people with drive and the will to succeed, well they don't need to settle for dirt like that. They have options due to not being failures

User Image

lol that you think you do

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bornes
But... Silly for me to assume people have confidence, I guess.
That's not necessary.

We all have different levels of confidence and different lengths we will go to depending on the situation. And having dealt with both scummy bosses and scummy landlords, I know how difficult it is to deal with fast-talking people who are essentially trying to scam you.

I quit a job I had in my early twenties not because I didn't have enough confidence to stand up to my boss, but because I was exhausted just trying to deal with all of their underhanded bullshit. The guy was an a*****e, and not only did he always have a very reasonable explanation for why my paycheck was short, but he also acted like I was overreacting. He was a scumbag. There was no way I, a lowly minimum wage employee, could ever intimidate him into doing what I wanted. It's not like I was in a union or anything, I had no leverage.

And that had nothing to do with confidence, and Ghosty Pie's situation has nothing to do with confidence, either. Hell, the company she works for sounds shady as hell, and probably won't last long, but I'm sure they'll try their hardest to take advantage of their employees before they go out of business.

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

Classy comeback.
It is pretty obvious that you already know what you want to do, so just do it.

Dapper Reveler

little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

Classy comeback.
classy as you babe

Loiterer

Robot Giny
I'm just going to agree to disagree, here.

Whatever happens is Ghosty Pie's decision anyway, it's not like we have control over it. She asked for opinions, we gave ours.
It was silly of me to barge back in here and fight with you over it.

User Image

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
User Image

User Image

User Image

Classy comeback.
classy as you babe

User Image

That makes no sense. But whatever, I'm done here.

Dapper Reveler

little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan
Mastersarge PoniPoni
little aishi chan

User Image

User Image

Classy comeback.
classy as you babe

User Image

That makes no sense. But whatever, I'm done here.

weak
little aishi chan
Lubovnik
little aishi chan
User Image

And working more than your previous job with little pay is nothing new, welcome to the real world rolleyes

I see the title of "Profitable Millionaire" was given incorrectly.

User Image

I can see you don't how to earn them and that it has nothing to do with the real world.

I should have known you wouldn't understand the irony given your lack of sense on "the real world."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff