Welcome to Gaia! ::

AFTER READING, do you think homosexuality is sinful?

Yes. I already thought this. 0.17741935483871 17.7% [ 11 ]
Yes. I changed my mind. 0.016129032258065 1.6% [ 1 ]
No. I must have already thought this, I cannot conceive of how this thread would cause me to have changed my conviction in this direction. 0.80645161290323 80.6% [ 50 ]
Total Votes:[ 62 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Aged Humorist

Faux-Nom

Okay. You win.

Come back and let us know how your viewpoint works out.
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness
Still taking the same disinterested approach to the ethics of preventing discrimination I see.

Also, I hope your title is meant to be ironically misleading.

Otherwise:

Uninterested, I think this is definitely one issue in which you could not say I am disinterested.
The title is not ironic, though perhaps misleading. I am espousing the unpopular opinion that homosexuality is indeed sinful in the context of the major world religions, and that this really doesn't matter or mean that there is anything wrong with homosexuality or gay people either. Most people would agree with at least one half of that statement, I have met very few who would stand with me on both.

Yes, you are disinterested, for you reject any attempts to call our discrimination against homosexuality from a religious point of view. Rather than argue the history of many of the religious believes got it wrong, from their own point of view, you are content to let religion keep suggesting homosexuality is immoral, even though there is potential to convince the religious otherwise.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
You are fabulous.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Faux-Nom
Chieftain Twilight
Lifeinsteps
Faux-Nom

You really do need to calm down. If you're denouncing Christianity through your defiant, sinful action, then you're already done with Christianity. It no longer matters whether homosexuality is sinful or not. People who don't subscribe to a religion don't get to decide things about it.

But there are people who care about their phony set of ideals enough to try and rewrite them to fit the modern world. Leave them alone. They'll probably earn you your rights while you sit and complain, seeing as how America is basically run by the Christian majority.

Once you admit that homosexuality is a sin, the game is up until Christianity is no longer the un-official official religion of the US.

..... I think you still didn't get the memo. neutral this is a joke thread. not even a tr0ll thread. just some trash that might as well be in the CB except that it's far more intelligent to fit in there. I would say it belongs in the Heaven Forum, which Faux may or may not have access to because it's an exclusive Forum and nobody honestly knows what the requirements are to get in.

Pfffft. No, I haven't been allowed in heaven for a while.
This thread is not entirely a joke, though.

how the hell am I allowed in there? I still don't understand the entry requirements.
Chieftain Twilight
Faux-Nom
Chieftain Twilight
Lifeinsteps
Faux-Nom

You really do need to calm down. If you're denouncing Christianity through your defiant, sinful action, then you're already done with Christianity. It no longer matters whether homosexuality is sinful or not. People who don't subscribe to a religion don't get to decide things about it.

But there are people who care about their phony set of ideals enough to try and rewrite them to fit the modern world. Leave them alone. They'll probably earn you your rights while you sit and complain, seeing as how America is basically run by the Christian majority.

Once you admit that homosexuality is a sin, the game is up until Christianity is no longer the un-official official religion of the US.

..... I think you still didn't get the memo. neutral this is a joke thread. not even a tr0ll thread. just some trash that might as well be in the CB except that it's far more intelligent to fit in there. I would say it belongs in the Heaven Forum, which Faux may or may not have access to because it's an exclusive Forum and nobody honestly knows what the requirements are to get in.

how the hell am I allowed in there? I still don't understand the entry requirements.

Something to do with ToS violations. I used to know the nitty-gritty.
I suppose in the context of religion you would have a point. But to just simply agree and bow out of the situation isn't gonna help. Christians tend to push their agenda until even they can't stand it and start breaking their own beliefs. People aren't supposed to live like that.

Until the religious crazies stop trying to put a cross on the flag, I won't be complacent with what they say. A few of them are nice and sensible, but sadly not all of them are.
The Willow Of Darkness
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness
Still taking the same disinterested approach to the ethics of preventing discrimination I see.

Otherwise:

Uninterested, I think this is definitely one issue in which you could not say I am disinterested.
The title is not ironic, though perhaps misleading. I am espousing the unpopular opinion that homosexuality is indeed sinful in the context of the major world religions, and that this really doesn't matter or mean that there is anything wrong with homosexuality or gay people either. Most people would agree with at least one half of that statement, I have met very few who would stand with me on both.

Yes, you are disinterested, for you reject any attempts to call our discrimination against homosexuality from a religious point of view. Rather than argue the history of many of the religious believes got it wrong, from their own point of view, you are content to let religion keep suggesting homosexuality is immoral, even though there is potential to convince the religious otherwise.

I feel like we're using different definitions of the word. I am not disinterested, I am not impartial and I very much have a stake in the issues involved.
Personally, I think anything that makes it more easy for people to remain willingly bound to serfdom by the world's major religions is a step in the wrong direction. I also have nothing but contempt for those who wish to have their faith a-la-carte, picking and choosing only the bits they like to practice and believe. Perhaps I am being naïve, but I think there's an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in showing people that homosexuality is perfectly natural and healthy and fine and homosexuals are just as wonderful, kind, and loving as any straight people and that they probably have homosexuals in their lives that they care for deeply while also pointing out that three major world religions call for their public execution in the most barbaric way imaginable.
Now, if you can provide valid historical evidence to show why homosexuality is not considered sinful within any of these religious viewpoints, that is another story, and I'm excited to hear it.
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness

Otherwise:

I feel like we're using different definitions of the word. I am not disinterested, I am not impartial and I very much have a stake in the issues involved.
Personally, I think anything that makes it more easy for people to remain willingly bound to serfdom by the world's major religions is a step in the wrong direction. I also have nothing but contempt for those who wish to have their faith a-la-carte, picking and choosing only the bits they like to practice and believe. Perhaps I am being naïve, but I think there's an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in showing people that homosexuality is perfectly natural and healthy and fine and homosexuals are just as wonderful, kind, and loving as any straight people and that they probably have homosexuals in their lives that they care for deeply while also pointing out that three major world religions call for their public execution in the most barbaric way imaginable.
Now, if you can provide valid historical evidence to show why homosexuality is not considered sinful within any of these religious viewpoints, that is another story, and I'm excited to hear it.

Well, for sure, if you actually made a case against religion. But you don't. You waffle on about how religious people think homosexuality is a sin, claim they are correct, and that it is great you live in a country which doesn't oppose such religious beliefs. Instead suggesting such religion is something people ought to leave behind, you propose they must hate homosexuals to act correctly (i.e. from their religious point of view) and imply this is something a secular world ought to tolerate.

The historical evidence does not matter. Clearly, the accepted orthodoxy, regardless of it is clearly specified in their holy texts of not, of those religions, for much of their existence, was to oppose homosexuality. Those arguing otherwise are rejecting this doctrine. They are, ultimately, arguing those religions have misunderstood their own moral obligations with regard to homosexuality. History is irrelevant to these claims.
The Willow Of Darkness
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness
Faux-Nom
The Willow Of Darkness

Otherwise:

Well, for sure, if you actually made a case against religion. But you don't. You waffle on about how religious people think homosexuality is a sin, claim they are correct, and that it is great you live in a country which doesn't oppose such religious beliefs. Instead suggesting such religion is something people ought to leave behind, you propose they must hate homosexuals to act correctly (i.e. from their religious point of view) and imply this is something a secular world ought to tolerate.

The historical evidence does not matter. Clearly, the accepted orthodoxy, regardless of it is clearly specified in their holy texts of not, of those religions, for much of their existence, was to oppose homosexuality. Those arguing otherwise are rejecting this doctrine. They are, ultimately, arguing those religions have misunderstood their own moral obligations with regard to homosexuality. History is irrelevant to these claims.

I perhaps have not made such a case in this particular thread, but that's not what this thread is about, and it's not what motivated me to make the thread in the first place. I was and am annoyed that there do not seem to be many people out there who are willing to say that homosexuality is sinful, but that doesn't matter because the fault lies in the nature of those religions, not in homosexuality. You misunderstand what I think is so great about living in a secular and free society: it is wonderful to live in a country where one cannot be convicted of thought crime, which is what it would be to penalise the religious for rightly thinking that homosexuality is sinful in the context of their faith, but it is also wonderful to live in a country where the law is not defined by nor does it bend to the religious convictions of the people. Yes, if you consider yourself Christian, Jewish, or Muslim, then you must consider homosexuality to be an abomination, as you must consider pork unclean. I don't see a problem with pointing that out, in fact, I see it as a case against being religious, as it calls upon believers to perform horrendously immoral acts. The solution to the problem of these religions is not, as you suggest, modifying them until they conform with modern secular moral values. I posit that it is exposing the hatred and irrationality that lies so deeply at their core and is so repulsive to the vast majority of people, including those who consider themselves believers.

So your argument against the sinfulness or otherwise of homosexuality is that you have no argument, you simply don't like it. Well tough titties, and tough titties to the "progressive" churches that think this way. I say to them, if you don't like the values and practices of your religion, and refuse to practice or adhere to them, perhaps it is time to stop identifying with that religion.
THAT"S THE GUY. The guy who told me he didn't agree with informal fallacies, coincidentally as he was at a dead end in an argument.

Even the best trolls can convey what you're trying to in a more concise manner. You didn't, and thus your effort is not important.

inb4 anything similar to "I'm not trolling."

TL biggrin R Be more concise next time and maybe you will be more successful. (Even though your content is s**t, and blatantly so.)

Sexy Fairy

Faux-Nom
Chieftain Twilight
Faux-Nom
Chieftain Twilight
Lifeinsteps
Faux-Nom

Something to do with ToS violations. I used to know the nitty-gritty.

It's a bit boring there, though. CB and LD are certainly more interesting, especially when people go off the deep end.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I got told that jesus died to make ALL sins forgiven
past present an future all of em

so hows there still gonna be sins

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff