Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Browser

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm a junior in high school, and this past week I've been drowning in homework. I've had multiple panic attacks (one night I had three) because of the homework, and I decided to start taking an antidepressant to keep my anxiety in check. (I've had social anxiety for a few years, but I never really did anything about it.) Usually, I'll have 3-4 hours of homework, but this week, I've had 5-7. I suppose that's my fault, because I decided to take 4 AP classes and the other 3 classes are all honors, but still.

I was just wondering if that's roughly the same amount of homework as you get in college, or do you get more? (Or less? I have a friend who's in college and she has less than I do, but her assignments are more challenging. I get a worksheet, she gets a powerpoint presentation.) I just want to be able to mentally prepare myself for more, if that's the case.

Edit: When I say 3-4, or 5-7, I mean a night, not a week.

Buggy Glitch

It depends on what you plan to be doing. In college you get to choose your schedule, how many classes to take, and what classes you're going to take.

I would say my workload is more then that, but I take 5 classes.

If you find you get anxiety you could probably get away with taking 3-4 classes. And if you get the anxiety diagnosed or decide to go to school part time you can take 3 or fewer classes.

Whatever you need to do to get through them.

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
I didn't really have 'homework' in college, but I did have 'assignments'.

The upside was that I only had one class at a time, so only one work to do at a time. That helped.

I thought it was easier all around.

The downside with college was group work all the freaking time.
Like cool4 said, it depends on how many classes you take and what classes those are.

I take two classes at a time and I'm good with just that. I'd take more though, but I have yet to get my license so I have to rely on my boyfriend to take me or this service that I'm part of where you have to call in advance and for more than two pick ups a week you have to be put on a waiting list to do that...and pay two dollars each way...which isn't bad, but then you may have to wait 15 minutes or more if they have to pick someone else up ect. Its not a perfect system but it helps. I have mild cp by the way, thats why I ride that and not the city bus where you have to walk miles to get to a bus stop. So I can't take more since I have to work around his schedule. Working on the license thing....

So yeah, if you feel anxious with too many classes you can take less classes. With financial aid and I think loans too you have to take at least 6 credit hours. I dunno about scholarships, but I'm sure they have requirements too.

I am in Algebra and I meet once a week, some meet more, but that worked with my schedule. We usually have maybe 100 math questions to answer for homework..maybe a little less, study for exams and then finals. For my Interpersonal skills class we read from our book..a chapter or two and then have class. We have our chapter tests online. Today I just finished my midterm research paper and its due Thursday...had two weeks to do it. So thats what I have with these two classes.

Last semester was a bit better though, beginning keyboarding twice a week and intro to computers once a week. No homework but practicing on the keyboard for my beginning keyboarding class. We always had homework for intro computers, but I usually staid after at the computer lab to finish the project...since it was like doing power points and things like that and knowing how to find things on Office programs...and follow the steps on paper step by step.
Depends on the school you go to, the classes you take, etc.
It really does depend on what you are taking. For me, I don't have any assignments but I do have more midterms that are worth a lot more. So instead of spending my time on assignments, I just have to spend a lot more time studying.
Depends on the class, the teacher, etc.

Some teachers just don't do homework. Some teachers have problems listed on their syllabus, but it's not required to do them. You should, but you don't need to because they are not for points. And of course, some do have homework.

A lot of my classes seem to have more big projects that are due at a certain time, instead of little assignments. My Marketing class has little assignments, but they all lead to our big project in the end.

Hygienic Member

5-7 hours a week? Thats not much at all.

First year I had harder classes but way less homework, because I took mostly lectures. This year I have a ton of easy classes, but I usually have 1-2 hours of homework a day, because they're smaller classes, plus assignments and s**t for lectures, plus studying I do between breaks. During finals I spend about 95% of my waking hours studying.

Timid Browser

3,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
tokkis
5-7 hours a week? Thats not much at all.

First year I had harder classes but way less homework, because I took mostly lectures. This year I have a ton of easy classes, but I usually have 1-2 hours of homework a day, because they're smaller classes, plus assignments and s**t for lectures, plus studying I do between breaks. During finals I spend about 95% of my waking hours studying.

No. I wish I had 5-7 hours a week. I meant 5-7 hours a night.

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
Depends. When I was in college I had barely any homework. But I had weekly tests. So all of our grades depended on the weekly tests with our 2 lowest grades removed.
It will obviously depend on the classes you take, but I found completing homework in college to be much easier than it was in high school. Simply for the fact that you end up having more time to do it. In high school, you have 7 or so classes per day (unless you have block scheduling, which I never had, so I don't know how that is.), and each of them assign homework. For me, the vast majority of the assignments would be due the next day. Any assignments with a due date a few days down the line were usually assigned at the same time. So I would come home every day with homework from several classes. I'd get through it just fine, but damn did it take a while.
In college, I'd have, at most, three classes a day. While they assigned homework, I wouldn't have the class for another couple days to a week, which allowed me to split up homework times more efficiently.

Perfect Winner

10,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Depends on your major, and how long you want to stay in. Sure some majors you can take one class a semester but unless its a easy major than you can get out in about 3 years. The harder majors require more work. No way youd get by with one class a semester in say CS.
Hahaha, have fun with 30-page minimum lab reports if you're going for a science major. Christ only knows what you're expected to do for liberal arts classes, I've tested out of most of mine so far.
The pressure in college depends a lot of what you want to receive! How many classes, if you want a job on the side, if you miss constantly, etc. Right now, for me in community college, it's not bad. I don't have a job and I'm going full time and it's been good. I just keep a planner to stay on track. Don't worry, you can do this! smile

Dapper Gawker

Depends on your major.

In art, "homework" is mostly just continuing on your artwork--could be drawings, weaving, sculpting, etc. It's literally like a job. You spend sooo many hours in the art building, like four hours a night for one class.

For psychology, it was mostly just that you had to read the chapter. Toss in some papers. Science classes were the same way, too, but you had to take an extra lab class, too.

For math, it was pretty the same thing as in high school. Do like 50+ math problems found in your text book. Accounting was the same way. Same for the tax income class, business law, etc. Language classes were also similar.

For english, it was papers after papers after papers after papers after papers. Tons of writing. Some easy, some tough.

I still got much more homework in high school, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff