Welcome to Gaia! ::

Save

our Earth<3 1 100.0% [ 21 ]
Total Votes:[ 21 ]

Thanks a bunch Bracken.<3
I for one DO accuse the nation of China of disregard for the state of the world in its choice of practices. I do not blame the Chinese people for this, but no matter where the idea or mentality comes from the people themselves are the ones going along with it and actually doing things like building coal mines. The Chinese working elsewhere have nothing to do with it.

They may be desperate, but they don't deviate from their path out of fear that they will lose control and court the foremost object of their dread: Chaos.

China will do whatever it takes to survive as China and to forever be China. I greatly fear that they would destroy the world to keep one part of it.

I do believe China is taking some steps to deal with the environmental problem, though. I read it in an article somewhere... erm... I don't remember where sweatdrop

Anyway, as for the actual topic of this thread... well? Where's the info?

Things on the top of my mind at the moment that are issues:

- Lack of information.

Find out where you get your food, energy, products and/or whatever else you consume or create demand for.

- Cut back on materials and/or practices which have a significant impact on the world's problems.

Reduce carbon emissions, avoid bad containers (boxes within boxes within boxes = dumb), don't buy food shipped and driven most of the way across your continent instead of buying locally, turn off your energy-using devices like lighting (switch your light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs... saves money too) and EXCESSIVE COMPUTER USE, avoid red meat (distribution problems)... but I'm sure that last one is going to be really controversial rolleyes

- Support local business and products, and businesses and products with good practices

After you know which products are better, buy them instead... creating more demand for good practices and less for bad and so cutting back on the bad.

- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Yep. Challenge patterns around you and make new ways of doing the commonplace. It's common stuff really, like not throwing things out if you can find another use for it or not buying what just gets thrown out.

It's uncomfortable at first but once you get into it it isn't so bad at all. The key here is actually doing it.

Now, how to do all that? It depends on where you live.
Hm...a mod might move this.
Zugartha
You're absolutely right, my dear. China is a bad imperialist country that is destroying the very fabric of the planet, that which we have long been fighting to mantain. So next time you see one of those Chinese, give him a kick right in the ol' nuts.

Countries like China. I am certainly not accusing China alone.
No sarcasm, please.
Our planet isn't dying!

It just has a fever.
Vosona
Sod the environment, we're the human race.

We've proven to be extremely flexible and adaptable, and I'm sure we can make the move to live underground in a matter of months after it becomes too dangerous to go outside thanks to the ozone layer disappearing.

which would you rather be: an Eloi or a Morlock? xp
You're absolutely right, my dear. China is a bad imperialist country that is destroying the very fabric of the planet, that which we have long been fighting to mantain. So next time you see one of those Chinese, give him a kick right in the ol' nuts.
Vosona
Sod the environment, we're the human race.

We've proven to be extremely flexible and adaptable, and I'm sure we can make the move to live underground in a matter of months after it becomes too dangerous to go outside thanks to the ozone layer disappearing.
I completely agree. Lets start a giant wildifre in California to help it along >: D.
eccentricanomaly
Reduce, reuse, recycle.
actually the US and Russia are doing just as much damage to the earth as China. with as many people China has, it's pretty damn hard to go all Eco-friendly and still be able to accommodate all those people. it's gonna take a while.
the main reason the US isn't making any actual laws about being eco-friendly (except California: Arnold actually went against what bush wanted and kept the gas guzzler tax.) is because Bush pretty much said: I'm not doing anything until China does.
Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Is it true everything everyone else is doing to help the planet, countries like China are reversing?
Let me rephrase that, in the form of a statement now that I know the answer: There are countries out there that are reversing what ever efforts environmentalists have made to improve the environment (a mouthful, I know). For example, countries that build coal mines every two weeks.

Please discuss the above and also:
To what extent is that true?
So...what steps have you, we, anyone, taken to reverse that?
What other countries are reversing these actions?
What actions should we take to help our environment? (Bigger projects? Know of any non-profit organizations?)

The purpose of this is to enlighten those interested in really helping out, including myself.

Credits to Brackenfae
Brackenfae

- Lack of information.

Find out where you get your food, energy, products and/or whatever else you consume or create demand for.

- Cut back on materials and/or practices which have a significant impact on the world's problems.

Reduce carbon emissions, avoid bad containers (boxes within boxes within boxes = dumb), don't buy food shipped and driven most of the way across your continent instead of buying locally, turn off your energy-using devices like lighting (switch your light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs... saves money too) and EXCESSIVE COMPUTER USE, avoid red meat (distribution problems)... but I'm sure that last one is going to be really controversial rolleyes

- Support local business and products, and businesses and products with good practices

After you know which products are better, buy them instead... creating more demand for good practices and less for bad and so cutting back on the bad.

- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Yep. Challenge patterns around you and make new ways of doing the commonplace. It's common stuff really, like not throwing things out if you can find another use for it or not buying what just gets thrown out.

It's uncomfortable at first but once you get into it it isn't so bad at all. The key here is actually doing it.

Now, how to do all that? It depends on where you live.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff