Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm finishing up my 5th year of undergraduate studies and I'm stuck on where to go from here.
From what I know, I'm pretty late in the game, since while I'm deciding between grad school and job hunting, everyone else is actually job hunting or completing grad school applications.

What would you do in my position?
I'm looking to go into Human Resources Recruiting or College level Career Counseling after I finish my major in Sociology.
Or another question, who would you talk to to figure out your decision?
Well since you majored in sociology here's your two choices:

Either you can go into the work force and maybe get a job, and even if you do get a job it will be a low paying crappy one since you got a degree in sociology.

Or you can go to graduate school.

Take your pick.
Yobyaxes R
SirPuzzle

Either you can go into the work force and maybe get a job, and even if you do get a job it will be a low paying crappy one since you got a degree in sociology.

Take your pick.

Hey, did you reject my friend request?

No I clicked accept.

I'm not sure if you can accept friend requests when the person inviting you is offline.

The reason I say that is because there was also another user who asked to be my friend, I also accepted the friend request but because the person was offline when I did that I don't think the friend request went through.

...............Now that I think of it I think I set up my profile to not allow to have friends, let me go check.

EDIT:

I just checked, no my settings do not prevent people from friending me.
Yobyaxes R
SirPuzzle
Yobyaxes R
SirPuzzle

Take your pick.

Hey, did you reject my friend request?

No I clicked accept.

I'm not sure if you can accept friend requests when the person inviting you is offline.

The reason I say that is because there was also another user who asked to be my friend, I also accepted the friend request but because the person was offline when I did that I don't think the friend request went through.

...............Now that I think of it I think I set up my profile to not allow to have friends, let me go check.

Well I sent you another request. I wanted to add you because I feel us anti feminists should stick together.

Ok let me see if I can accept it now since you're online.

EDIT: It said success, so I think it worked.
tough decision. I'd say, do some research into what kind of jobs you can get with your degree. some places aren't picky about the kind of degree, as long as you have one. more specific places would probably want a graduate degree though. but I'm sure there are jobs out there you can do without a graduate degree. you can always join the work force, see what kind of jobs you can get, and then go back to school if you decide you need that extra degree
TipTop10
tough decision. I'd say, do some research into what kind of jobs you can get with your degree. some places aren't picky about the kind of degree, as long as you have one. more specific places would probably want a graduate degree though. but I'm sure there are jobs out there you can do without a graduate degree. you can always join the work force, see what kind of jobs you can get, and then go back to school if you decide you need that extra degree

Firm, yet chewy! Like biting right through a nice strip of Elk flesh, but in the form of a floppy carbo-loaded masterpiece. Are you taking notes?
Honestly, why do people get degrees in sociology? Even art degrees are better than that because at least they still learn an actual skill. My advice would be to learn an actual trade or how to fix computers and then even with that cert you will still make more money than you would with just your degree.
Undying Light
Honestly, why do people get degrees in sociology? Even art degrees are better than that because at least they still learn an actual skill. My advice would be to learn an actual trade or how to fix computers and then even with that cert you will still make more money than you would with just your degree.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sociology

Tipsy Kitten

I would go to grad school.
It's only one more year of your current shitty job, so why not?
You can look for internships which will help your job search.

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Newbie Noob

Moogle Voodoo
User Image do both

Generous Poster

I can give you serious advice.

1. You realize for grad school (unless it's a Ph.D where you're getting stipends to do research) you're paying almost everything out of your own pocket. As in you won't get FAFSA or TAP, you will have to take on lots of loans if you can get offered them.

2. The job market is hard for everyone. Having a Masters or higher level degree is always better than just having a Bachelors. You need to speak to a career counselor about your options, what kinda career path you want to go into, and what you need to do to get there.

I'm giving you homework. As soon as you can, call and make an appointment with your major adviser (which in this case is Sociology). You surely have an academic adviser for sociology who can guide you and give you advice.

If you're thinking of looking into programs, maybe email the specific academic advisors for the programs you're applying to with your questions. Just say you're a prospective applicant and be genuine and ask for advice, describe your situation. They are almost always HAPPY to help.

The bottom line is, you need to be pro-active about this s**t. It's never too late. Stop focusing on the fact that maybe it took you a little longer, that isn't important. Focus on what you can do now, and what you need to do for the future. Having a specific goal in mind is paramount to success and you need to talk to advisers to help figure out what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff