Welcome to Gaia! ::

anonkidz
How to check your gender

step 1: look down your pants

step 2: profit.

Your trick has failed to identify gender.
But you have successfully identified someone's sex. Not the finding ya were trying to make but stil la findthing never the less...
Sadly most people already knew that so your finding is pointless.
ChiyuriYami
anonkidz
How to check your gender

But you have successfully identified someone's sex. Not the finding ya were trying to make but stil la findthing never the less...

Whats the point of identifying your gender anyway? One physical genital does not define your character, people make so much of a deal out of something that doesnt need to be.
There is a difference between gender and sex.

Gender is the role you play for your sex.

Sex is biological.

The gendered roles we play as male and female are not determined at birth. The sex roles yes of how our brains and hormones fluctuate differently.

But no, 'gendered' roles are completely a learned behavior. Society praises masculinity and femininity. And discriminates against the opposite. Such as those who go against their gender. Gays, trans, even hermaphrodites.
Reportable
Not sure if this is the right forum...

Currently having a discussion with a friend about gender identification.

They claim it is not a learned behavior, I claim it is.

Anyone care to discuss?

I don't see why it couldn't be both.

Devoted Pirate

Laughing Kookaburra

I thought it was both?

Like "boys play with cars and girls play with dolls" is something you learn but you can't really change someone's hormones. (Well, of course you can with more hormones, but not by teaching them social standards xd )
Playing with cars or dolls is not written in genetic code. Those are gender stereotyped behaviors encouraged by popular society. Stores have "boys toys" and "girls toys" sections, they are almost always separate and almost always the girl section done in pink, boys done in blue. None of that is genetic, but learned social behaviors and expectations force fed to parents and kids.

Alien Invader

This turns into a nature vs nurture argument and it's different for everyone. I think gender stereotypes have really worked against people seeing as so many seem to be confused about what it means to be male or female. If my favorite color is pink does that make me more of a girl?

I'd hope not but its insignificant aspects of a person's personality that is making gender identification an issue.

Man-Lover

Gender is a completely man-made ideal. People try to enforce it all the time because the thought of others straying away from what's considered normal isn't understood by their frail minds.
I don't even think you have to identify as a female to have feminine traits, nor do I think somebody has to identify as male to have masculine traits. I for one am interested in androgynous style and am trying to obscure my style to the point that people can't tell if what I'm wearing is from the men's section or not.
When I was a kid I liked playing with girls. I liked playing house. I even liked dressing up in girls clothes once in a while. It was nice. Then I basically got yelled at about it or told that it just wasn't right up until the point where I just felt bad about wanting to do it and forced myself to stop wanting it

Take it as you will, but I think your likes and dislikes are taught. At first, not directly, simply by observation and slight suggestion, but I think there's a point at which most people are forced into one role or another

Then again, I'm talking about gender roles, not identification

Aged Codger

anonkidz
ChiyuriYami
anonkidz
How to check your gender

Whats the point of identifying your gender anyway? One physical genital does not define your character, people make so much of a deal out of something that doesnt need to be.

i think you'd probably get annoyed if the entire world suddenly started treating you like a girl even though you're a guy.
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra

I thought it was both?

Like "boys play with cars and girls play with dolls" is something you learn but you can't really change someone's hormones. (Well, of course you can with more hormones, but not by teaching them social standards xd )
Playing with cars or dolls is not written in genetic code. Those are gender stereotyped behaviors encouraged by popular society. Stores have "boys toys" and "girls toys" sections, they are almost always separate and almost always the girl section done in pink, boys done in blue. None of that is genetic, but learned social behaviors and expectations force fed to parents and kids.

You just repeated what I said. lol

Rainbow Fatcat

I think it's a bit of both.

Devoted Pirate

Laughing Kookaburra
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra

I thought it was both?

Sorry, your post was fear unclear to me.
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra

I thought it was both?

Yeah sorry, I meant that:

1) Which toys kids play with is something society "teaches" them
2) Hormones contribute to the gender identification and that's something you are born with
Reportable
Chartreusethewaterdemon
lol, all this stuff about gender identity today.

I thought I was a girl when I was a little boy blaugh I played with barbies and polly-pockets and I even stole my mom's dolls dresses now and then.

There was absoloutley no influnence on me as to that behavior, no older sisters dressing me up, no effeminate father (ANYTHING but effeminate really) No obsessive mother.

And today, I am completely satisfied with being male, and am more comfortable with being one than I can ever honestly imagine being female.

They have done studies on children raised to be the opposite gender, they more often than not desire to be the gender they originally were, gender identity is definitely made up by the person, not the environment.

You can give a girl all the toy trucks you want, don't mean she'll play with them.

(I realized after my post how much this forum is talking about gender lol)

My sister joined the debate with my friend and mentioned a bunch of stuff from her sociology class she just had this semester.

Apparently being born female is one thing, but being taught how to be female is another thing. If a baby girl is always around a mother who wears perfume, the daughter is going to learn that females should smell pretty. If she always put an effort into doing her hair and make up, the child is going to learn that females should look pretty. The same goes for what they wear and what they play with.

That's gender role, not identity. And even then it's a bit more complicated than that; some children embrace the examples they see, others rebel against them and do things differently.

Reportable

Essentially she said that a female child will probably recognize that they are a female,

This part touches on gender identity. Most female children will identify as females, but there's a few - estimates vary on how many - that don't. And there's no conclusive evidence as to what causes this, though what little has been found suggests a link to in-utero development. Something that happens before the child is born.

Lonely Saint

Laughing Kookaburra
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra
Blackrose_Knight
Laughing Kookaburra

I thought it was both?

Yeah sorry, I meant that:

1) Which toys kids play with is something society "teaches" them
2) Hormones contribute to the gender identification and that's something you are born with

Changing someone's hormones doesn't change their gender identity, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff