Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wikipedia Explanation

Okay.
I'm trying to convince my mum to let me get out of the damn shot.
Cancer runs in the family. My mummy told me that someone in the family died of breast cancer...
That's besides the point...

I would like to know more about the shots. General information would be AWESOME.
Besides the stuff on Wikipedia.
Also, i'd like a general idea of the side effects.
I just don't want my mum wasting $600 something on shots that may not even help, and, give us a few days (Totaled up) of hell.
Thanks.

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
My friend says it hurts like a b***h, but that she's happy she got it.
Gardasil protects you from cervical cancer or vaginal cancer.......i got it andi hope you will if cancer runs in the family.....and it doesnt hurt, you will only be sore

6,400 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Profitable 100
ninja-luv
Gardasil protects you from cervical cancer or vaginal cancer.......i got it andi hope you will if cancer runs in the family.....and it doesnt hurt, you will only be sore

Actually, it's not proven that it actually does anything because it's so new. Plus, it doesn't protect you from Cervical cancer, it just protects you from some forms of the HPV virus that can potentially cause cervical cancer.
ChandaPanda123
My friend says it hurts like a b***h, but that she's happy she got it.

Thank you...

8,400 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
It helps protect you from a virus that is key in causing cervical cancer. The reason it's so controversial is because it's basically like a vaccination for an STD. If your boyfriend had sex with a girl who had the human papillomavirus, he'd have no way of knowing, but if he had sex with you he could transmit it to you. Due to the virus being sexually transmitted, they like to give it to young girls before the age when they start having sex. I'd recommend it even if you have started.

Your insurance should cover it. Mine did. I needed the initial shot and then the booster a few months later. When they injected the shot it burned a bit and my arm cramped and was a little sore for awhile. It's no big deal.
ChandaPanda123
ninja-luv

Actually, it's not proven that it actually does anything because it's so new. Plus, it doesn't protect you from Cervical cancer, it just protects you from some forms of the HPV virus that can potentially cause cervical cancer.

@Ninja - I'm afraid of needles. Not sewing needles or embrodery needles, but, shots. My mother said it'd be good for me. PSHAW. Tried explaining it only helps. Right. *eyeroll*

@Chanda - Exactlyish...
The shots are free in Australia biggrin w00t for me. I got the shots done. Pretty much coz I don't want to die of cervical cancer. Also coz I know a girl that became infected with HPV and now has to get a hyserectomy gonk She was only 18, only ever had one sexual partner and will now never have kids.
Well, since it's new, you can't know what will happen if you get it.

What if 20 years after you get it, you get cancer or you die or something, but nobody knew that that would happen because it was new?

I'm not gonna get it.
Miss Lilyana
The shots are free in Australia biggrin w00t for me. I got the shots done. Pretty much coz I don't want to die of cervical cancer. Also coz I know a girl that became infected with HPV and now has to get a hyserectomy gonk She was only 18, only ever had one sexual partner and will now never have kids.

If they were free, i'd urge my mum to go for my sister.
Sadly, in the States, they aren't even covered by insurance
I don't care what I die from. If death wants me, so be it.
I got it last year. You get three shots and have to wait three months between each of them. It hurt because of where they had to inject me, but other than that it wasn't too bad. I was a bit tired, dizzy and thirsty afterwards but I don't think those are actual side effects and could be just me.

I say get it. I think it's worth it, even though it only protects against 4 types of HPV and its effectiveness still isn't known for sure.
Gardasil is delivered in 3 doses over about 10 months. The first 2 shots are in the arm and the third is in the hip. I'm getting the shot because I recently found out my mom has HPV and HPV can cause cervical cancer. The shots DO hurt and the most common side effect is nausea and burning or pain at the injection site. There's no major issues I or my friends have found seeing as I'm about to get the second shot and a few of my friends have gotten it. It's not something that you should get just because you want to, you should have a good reason for it.

The injection hurts like a b***h, but it wears off after a couple hours and I'm glad I'm getting it. I'm not going to say every girl should get it, but if you're worried about HPV then you might want to think about it.

Next time you go to the doctor, ask if they have a booklet about the Gardasil shot and they should give you one, take it with you and talk to your mom, read through it, evaluate if you should get it and most importantly, TALK to your mom and make sure she understands why you want to do it.
[Hitler Moustache]
Well, since it's new, you can't know what will happen if you get it.

What if 20 years after you get it, you get cancer or you die or something, but nobody knew that that would happen because it was new?

I'm not gonna get it.

Sadly, i'm only a minor.
My mum doesn't understand that i'm not intending to have sex until i'm married.
Oh well. She says it'd be good for me.
FruitsAngie
Miss Lilyana

Actually, it depends on where you are in the United States. Some states are giving Gardasil for free and others have it on their insurance.

Where I live covers it on the insurance and gave them out for free. (I don't know if they still do give them for free, it might just be a lower cost now.)
elizabeth jude
FruitsAngie
Miss Lilyana

Actually, it depends on where you are in the United States. Some states are giving Gardasil for free and others have it on their insurance.

Where I live covers it on the insurance and gave them out for free. (I don't know if they still do give them for free, it might just be a lower cost now.)

My mum walked into a health clinic asking about them, but, she never got the price range.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff