Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
blazewing2010
I find it hilarious that Christians complain about discrimination at all, considering all the pagans they killed, tortured and humiliated, not to mention all the other religions they've buttraped as well. Look at the Salem Witch Trials, or better yet, the Crusades!

Yup! That was all done by so called "Christians."

This is why I dont have time for any christian who forces their god down my throat. I don't force my beliefs down theirs.

So, your logic is we should all take the blame for things that happened before we were ever born? That we should all be blamed when someone uses the name of god for wrongdoing? Is that fair?

Tipsy Exhibitionist

I'm afraid I'm not that sympathetic,
I find Christian whining pathetic.
If your entire religion
Would pipe down a smidgeon,
I might tolerate your esthetic.
Marcus Junius Brutus
ice queen in a dark tower
Marcus Junius Brutus
Marcus Junius Brutus
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it

What.

well kkk was a terrible example since theyre exclusively about racism
hows about a nazi that doesnt hate jews

You're not a very good troll. sad
I'm disappointed. sad
ugh ok ******** examples, not good with them
basically hes a part of a group commonly associated with negative things. ridiculous beliefs, bombing/picketing abortion clinics, homophobia, pushing for ridiculous legislation having to do with their religion, etc. obviously when he calls himself a christian, those things are going to come to mind to the person that he's talking to (unless they're christian themselves). hes giving off a terrible impression by associating himself with this group, regardless of what his actual beliefs are.
that make sense?

There are more than 2 billion Christians in the world. You're focusing on a small number of radical denominations concentrated in the United States.

Not all Christians bomb and picket abortion clinics.
Not all Christians are homophobic.
Not all Christians 'push for ridiculous legislation having to do with their religion'.

What you're saying about Christianity is similar to my saying all Muslims are suicide bombers because a small number of people who pervert the message of the Qur'an and Islamic jurisprudence (which actually doesn't allow terrorism) to their own means get most of the media attention and carry out the most radical of actions.

Christianity isn't a hate group like the KKK. It's not a political party like the NSDAP. It's an overarching belief system that has been split apart into numerous denominations over the years with each denomination having different beliefs and interpretations of the Bible from the rest.

Btw, you're hardly 'born into' a religion.
*edit: scrapped everything i wrote after re-reading your post. i was talking specifically about the united states (i know you live in britian), where the things you mentioned are pretty much expected out of christians

Enduring Phantom

I have a distaste for Christianity because the followers have been assholes to me in the past (members of the church community, not just the common rabble), and because they solicit their religion to no end. They already have half the world's population, can't they just be happy with that? I mean really, you don't see any other religions going around and pressuring people to convert...

That being said though, I have a lot of respect for open and tolerant Christians. They help me believe that there is some hope left in what has become a corrupted institution.
Chartreusethewaterdemon
Haters gonna Hate Bro.

I don't have a problem with Christians or any other manner of religious people, I have a problem with rude people. You don't have to be of a certain religious persuasion to be a jackass.

Did you put peanut butter on your face or something?

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Queen Shining Heaven
blazewing2010
I find it hilarious that Christians complain about discrimination at all, considering all the pagans they killed, tortured and humiliated, not to mention all the other religions they've buttraped as well. Look at the Salem Witch Trials, or better yet, the Crusades!

This is why I dont have time for any christian who forces their god down my throat. I don't force my beliefs down theirs.

So, your logic is we should all take the blame for things that happened before we were ever born? That we should all be blamed when someone uses the name of god for wrongdoing? Is that fair?
Last time I checked, swearing wasn't killing millions of people. I also have a severe distate for Xtians, as I had that religious crap shoved down my throat for 13 years of my life.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
While I do agree that it is a little unnecessary and wrong for her to go that far based on your religion, there is a reason why people respond like this. The truth is that, there really aren't many Christians out there who aren't ignorant, and I am completely respectful of the ones who aren't, but they just don't come around often, and they ignorant ones usually have certain beliefs from their religion that are hateful or contradict themselves or make absolutely no sense, which is why many people often get angry towards Christians. And while I do think it's wrong to judge someone solely based on their religion, I also think it is wrong to believe hateful things because of your religion, and as long as you are not doing anything or saying anything hateful, then there is no reason for you to be attacked like that.
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it
There are different sects of Christianity and not all of the sects believe hateful things.
are you talking specifically about what the religion teaches or what the people actually follow?
Obviously about what they follow. The bible teaches that it's ok to keep slaves but you don't see everyone accusing Christians of keeping slaves, because a very high percentage doesn't. xD It's more about interpretation of the bible and the understanding of the times it was written in. Some people take the bad things written in it more literally than others, but they shouldn't be spoken in for everyone. Considering that the bible has so many authors, it is likely that not all of them were "guided by god" when they wrote what they wrote, thus why not everything in the bible is considered a "Christian belief", such as keeping slaves or stoning a child to death for disobeying his parents. I think that the people are the ones who make the religion what it is, and because people interpret the religion differently and have different sects, they shouldn't all be grouped together because some of the beliefs of different sects are very different from one another.
from my knowledge of christianity, most of them are generally the same. all of them are pretty ridiculous
i dont consider a slightly different interpretation of a book that i find ridiculous to be a significant difference
In my original post I did say that most Christians had an ignorant or hateful belief. And I don't think Mormonism is a slightly different interpretation.

Fanatical Codger

Jesse Troy
Chartreusethewaterdemon
Haters gonna Hate Bro.

I don't have a problem with Christians or any other manner of religious people, I have a problem with rude people. You don't have to be of a certain religious persuasion to be a jackass.

Did you put peanut butter on your face or something?

No, my dog just loves me. Assuming you are referring to my sig that is.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
blazewing2010
Queen Shining Heaven
blazewing2010

Last time I checked, swearing wasn't killing millions of people. I also have a severe distate for Xtians, as I had that religious crap shoved down my throat for 13 years of my life.

Oh, I see......religious parents, I'm guessing?
AllThingsNew101
AllThingsNew101
AllThingsNew101

yeah but it is not the same actually.

the KKK were OPENLY racist. They TAUGHT racism. So when a member of the KKK says "hey I am a member of the KKK but I am not racist", you can ask "then why identify as a member of the KKK"?

On the contrary, while is it very much true that mean Americans mae a mockery of Christ's teaching by NOT showing love, judging and not showing respect for all, that is NOT what Christianity teaches. it teaches Love, Respect, and not judging. It teached to put others before you. Yes, there are many who fail royally at this, but Jesus taught something totally different. So it is not the same.
yeah, i admitted in the last post that kkk was an awful example
see, you shouldnt even be associating yourself with christians then, theyre pretty much the worst religious group in this country.
the point i was trying to get across with the kkk remark is that even if you dont follow an ideology commonly shared by the group youre associating yourself with, people are still just going to lump you in with the rest of the group that follows that ideology until they know you better.
ive seen you around forums before, and you seem like a nice person, so im not going to associate you with groups of people that picket outside of abortion clinics and push for abstinence only sex ed in classrooms, but when you tell someome 'im christian', unless theyre christians themselves those things are most likely going to come to mind.

best way to avoid this? dont call yourself a christian. why do you need to associate yourself with them?

Thank you for the compliments. You seem pretty cool yourself if I do say so myself.
I see a lot of Chritsians taking that road. The "Don't call youself a Christian" road. Instead, the refer to themselves as "A follower of Jesus", and while I get that...ultimatly, my worldview is Christian, and even if I identify as a follower of Jesus, people, upom conversation, will generalize and refer to me as a Christian, or a Born again, or what ever. I am A Christian (little Christ) I am a follower of the teachings of Jesus, I am Born again. I am All of that, and I own it all.

But thats just my thought on it.
considering how little christians (speaking in general terms) have anything to do with the teachings of christ, or even any parts of the bible, i dont think that itd be accurate to even call yourself a christian. but thats just my opinion based on what i know about you

oh, and about that girl that sent you the message, try to be a little understanding. like i said before, christians in this country are absolutely terrible. who knows, maybe shes gay? its kind of hard to be understanding towards someone thats associated with the same group thats oppressing you,

Yeah. I feel you on the understanding part. thats kind of why i decided not to reply. I figuared her feelings were genuine. I just feel there were misguided.

And I actually don't think it is accurate to say Christians in this country have little to do with Christ or the Bible.They translate and misrepresent it, but they are still associated with it.
they have so little to do with either that i dont really think saying they follow it is accurate. as done with most religions, they tend to focus specifically on the parts that are most convenient to their lives, and write off the rest.

i mean, yeah, theyre associated with it, but just because they believe in very small excerpts from the bible doesnt make them christian. thats like if i read the first twilight book, liked a few sentences and hated the rest and then said "hey everyone, im a twilight fan!"

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Resonare Praeteriti
I have a distaste for Christianity because the followers have been assholes to me in the past (members of the church community, not just the common rabble), and because they solicit their religion to no end. They already have half the world's population, can't they just be happy with that? I mean really, you don't see any other religions going around and pressuring people to convert...

That being said though, I have a lot of respect for open and tolerant Christians. They help me believe that there is some hope left in what has become a corrupted institution.
If they are tolerant, then I can be too.
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
There are different sects of Christianity and not all of the sects believe hateful things.
are you talking specifically about what the religion teaches or what the people actually follow?
Obviously about what they follow. The bible teaches that it's ok to keep slaves but you don't see everyone accusing Christians of keeping slaves, because a very high percentage doesn't. xD It's more about interpretation of the bible and the understanding of the times it was written in. Some people take the bad things written in it more literally than others, but they shouldn't be spoken in for everyone. Considering that the bible has so many authors, it is likely that not all of them were "guided by god" when they wrote what they wrote, thus why not everything in the bible is considered a "Christian belief", such as keeping slaves or stoning a child to death for disobeying his parents. I think that the people are the ones who make the religion what it is, and because people interpret the religion differently and have different sects, they shouldn't all be grouped together because some of the beliefs of different sects are very different from one another.
from my knowledge of christianity, most of them are generally the same. all of them are pretty ridiculous
i dont consider a slightly different interpretation of a book that i find ridiculous to be a significant difference
In my original post I did say that most Christians had an ignorant or hateful belief. And I don't think Mormonism is a slightly different interpretation.
it's significant
ly more ridiculous

Beloved Sex Symbol

If you weren't shoving your religion in other people's faces I do feel sorry for you, because it isn't far.

If you were, I see you as fair game because that s**t gets annoying really fast. More so if it is door to door.

Romantic Lover

Mmm Thats how the world is if you've happened to step outside lately.

I'm a christian I suppose but I believe christian is more of a lifestyle rather then religion. Pro-choice, I'm all for for marriage between any two genders, I do not attend church. I also do not follow the bible, I feel that since we as the human race have evolved that God has either evolved right along with us, or perhaps that the bible really wasn't based on Gods views at all but instead the views of those that wrote it, as all books are.
I also believe in both evolution and Gods 7 days of creation because as it has been said, God does not live by our human time so who is to say that 1 day for God isn't thousands upon thousands of years in our time.

Ive definitely been judged for my views, they tend to be rather unique and most people don't even attempt to try and tie in the "opposing beliefs" with their own. They mostly just believe that all opposing views are wrong/false/untrue and never even consider that perhaps there is some truth to all sides.
Most of my family is Catholic, so when I started to form my own views , A lot of them were appalled that I could even consider something like the "scientific evolution" of the planet being gods work, but it just makes sense to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff