Welcome to Gaia! ::

i dont think anyone should be made fun of for their religions, its not your fault that youve been brainwashed sad
anyway, if you dont want to be hated for being a christian, you probably shouldnt associate yourself with the group. or not in public at least. christianity does get a lot of hate, but for good reason. i think that people need to focus more on criticizing the actual religion than the people though.
"In each person's eyes, his/her own opinions are superior to anybody else's, and if his/her opinion is against that of another, then his/her opinion must obviously be correct and the opposed opinion incorrect."

--April

The rest is just harassment.
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
While I do agree that it is a little unnecessary and wrong for her to go that far based on your religion, there is a reason why people respond like this. The truth is that, there really aren't many Christians out there who aren't ignorant, and I am completely respectful of the ones who aren't, but they just don't come around often, and they ignorant ones usually have certain beliefs from their religion that are hateful or contradict themselves or make absolutely no sense, which is why many people often get angry towards Christians. And while I do think it's wrong to judge someone solely based on their religion, I also think it is wrong to believe hateful things because of your religion, and as long as you are not doing anything or saying anything hateful, then there is no reason for you to be attacked like that.
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it

Friendly Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
AllThingsNew101
I have been on Gaia for quite some time, and I have noticed one thing. Discrimination, and hate speech of any kind is usually openlly frowned upon...

...that is, unless it is directed at religion or religious people.

I am a Christian, and one day I was posting in a thead about how this one girl hated her parents because they would not let her wear tight clothing. I commented that the girl (who was 16) should probably just wait until got out of her parents house before wearing tight clothes, and that fighting her parents on such a trivial topic would cause more harm than good. I developed a following in the thread of people who agreed.

Then I got a PM from the OP of the thread, saying the worst things. Calling me a pig headed, backwards Christian legalist, and how she hates me for being Christian (I am not making this up). Needless to say, I was a little more than offended.

And this is one of many examples.

All across the forums, whenever Religion is being talked about, for the most part, it is in an offensive manner. People hate when Christians use hate speech concerning people of different life styles (homosexuals, pro-life supporters and the like) but its ok when the focus of the hate is religion. Is that not hypocritical?

I am one to respect those of different faiths, belifes and life styles, and to be honest, most of the people I know who do the same are religious people. I only begin to hear hate language when I am talking to a non religious person about religion. Now granted, I knwo thats biased and isolated, but the fact remains, religious people are not ALL hateful, and non-religious people are not ALL open and affirming...

Thoughts?

It's a relief to see another Christian. One thing I have noticed is that SOME (not all) people that complain about being judged by Christians actually judge the religion as a whole. I believe what I believe and I will tell others what I believe. I will also listen to any other belief with as much respect as I can. I will openly say I disagree, but if you force your religion I have learned that that makes people hate more. Be proud to be a sane Christian and prove to others that not all Christans are judgemental. Be passive agressive, dude. I state my opinion and tell them that they have the right to believe as they wish but I recommend my religion. If they say no, fine, if they want to learn more about my religion, I share. Never feel like you have to hide what you believe.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
ice queen in a dark tower
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
While I do agree that it is a little unnecessary and wrong for her to go that far based on your religion, there is a reason why people respond like this. The truth is that, there really aren't many Christians out there who aren't ignorant, and I am completely respectful of the ones who aren't, but they just don't come around often, and they ignorant ones usually have certain beliefs from their religion that are hateful or contradict themselves or make absolutely no sense, which is why many people often get angry towards Christians. And while I do think it's wrong to judge someone solely based on their religion, I also think it is wrong to believe hateful things because of your religion, and as long as you are not doing anything or saying anything hateful, then there is no reason for you to be attacked like that.
except the fact that hes associating himself with a group of people known for being hateful/ignorant/a hinderance to this country
its like if someone says 'oh hey im part of the kkk but im not racist', it doesnt matter what they are, theyre associating themselves with a terrible group and people are gonna judge them for it
i mean ideally nobody should be made fun of for their religions, its not like you really have a say in what religion you were born into, but its understandable why people do it
There are different sects of Christianity and not all of the sects believe hateful things.
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
There are different sects of Christianity and not all of the sects believe hateful things.
are you talking specifically about what the religion teaches or what the people actually follow?
vampireheart44
AllThingsNew101
I have been on Gaia for quite some time, and I have noticed one thing. Discrimination, and hate speech of any kind is usually openlly frowned upon...

...that is, unless it is directed at religion or religious people.

I am a Christian, and one day I was posting in a thead about how this one girl hated her parents because they would not let her wear tight clothing. I commented that the girl (who was 16) should probably just wait until got out of her parents house before wearing tight clothes, and that fighting her parents on such a trivial topic would cause more harm than good. I developed a following in the thread of people who agreed.

Then I got a PM from the OP of the thread, saying the worst things. Calling me a pig headed, backwards Christian legalist, and how she hates me for being Christian (I am not making this up). Needless to say, I was a little more than offended.

And this is one of many examples.

All across the forums, whenever Religion is being talked about, for the most part, it is in an offensive manner. People hate when Christians use hate speech concerning people of different life styles (homosexuals, pro-life supporters and the like) but its ok when the focus of the hate is religion. Is that not hypocritical?

I am one to respect those of different faiths, belifes and life styles, and to be honest, most of the people I know who do the same are religious people. I only begin to hear hate language when I am talking to a non religious person about religion. Now granted, I knwo thats biased and isolated, but the fact remains, religious people are not ALL hateful, and non-religious people are not ALL open and affirming...

Thoughts?

It's a relief to see another Christian. One thing I have noticed is that SOME (not all) people that complain about being judged by Christians actually judge the religion as a whole. I believe what I believe and I will tell others what I believe. I will also listen to any other belief with as much respect as I can. I will openly say I disagree, but if you force your religion I have learned that that makes people hate more. Be proud to be a sane Christian and prove to others that not all Christans are judgemental. Be passive agressive, dude. I state my opinion and tell them that they have the right to believe as they wish but I recommend my religion. If they say no, fine, if they want to learn more about my religion, I share. Never feel like you have to hide what you believe.

I feel you. Thank you for this. I guess to some degree, people have a reason to be weary of Christians, though I guess I just wish people would learn to judge people on a more individual basis, instead of generalizing. Anyway, this was helpful Thank you.

Greedy Lunatic

In my experience Christians tend to speak up only when they hear of something they deem to be morally wrong going on. Most other religious people do not do this. I have never heard of a Jewish person popping up on a discussion about tattoos to announce that God forbids it.

When constantly being bombarded with the type of people that if they knew basically anything of me, would consider me an abomination, it is not surprising that I grow easily irritated towards that group of people. I have even been conditioned by this religious environment that America is to think of non-religious person as the "needle in the haystack" and value them more as human beings.

I do not hate Christians on sight at all though. One of the nicest people I've ever met was a die-hard Christian and he spoke of his religion often, but he did not speak of anything but the love his God had for everyone.

I guess what annoys me the most is that most Christians seem to think they have a right or an obligation or whatever it is, to tell people what is right and wrong.

Lavish Dark Elf

8,900 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Faux-Nom
Respectfully, I call bullshit.
Not on your story, but on your view of the internet's approach to Christianity. Some people are dicks, and spew hateful rhetoric towards anyone who isn't them, but even if each and every human being were like that, there are still more Christians in the world than any other faith, and there would at the very least be a plurality of support for Christianity.
Basically, the OP you mentioned was clearly a b***h, so what?

I agree. I also want to point out that he did not post any proof whatsoever, not even a bloody screenshot.

Also, OP, no one really gives a damn. People do this all the time on here, and around the net, your case isn't some anomaly or outlier.
Twisted Rainbow Insanity

yeah but it is not the same actually.

the KKK were OPENLY racist. They TAUGHT racism. So when a member of the KKK says "hey I am a member of the KKK but I am not racist", you can ask "then why identify as a member of the KKK"?

On the contrary, while is it very much true that mean Americans mae a mockery of Christ's teaching by NOT showing love, judging and not showing respect for all, that is NOT what Christianity teaches. it teaches Love, Respect, and not judging. It teached to put others before you. Yes, there are many who fail royally at this, but Jesus taught something totally different. So it is not the same.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
are you talking specifically about what the religion teaches or what the people actually follow?
Obviously about what they follow. The bible teaches that it's ok to keep slaves but you don't see everyone accusing Christians of keeping slaves, because a very high percentage doesn't. xD It's more about interpretation of the bible and the understanding of the times it was written in. Some people take the bad things written in it more literally than others, but they shouldn't be spoken in for everyone. Considering that the bible has so many authors, it is likely that not all of them were "guided by god" when they wrote what they wrote, thus why not everything in the bible is considered a "Christian belief", such as keeping slaves or stoning a child to death for disobeying his parents. I think that the people are the ones who make the religion what it is, and because people interpret the religion differently and have different sects, they shouldn't all be grouped together because some of the beliefs of different sects are very different from one another.
Marcus Junius Brutus

What.

well kkk was a terrible example since theyre exclusively about racism
hows about a nazi that doesnt hate jews

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out