Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Another way is in how people describe their identity. I mean you identify as male, presumably on account of that being the terms used to identify those with the biological traits that you feel you have. What is the group with the biological traits you feel you have was called "carpet?" Would you still identify as "male?" No, you would most likely, assuming you used the same reason you did for male, identify as "carpet."
That's exactly what I've been trying to get across.

Now for the bit you won't like.

What is the difference between "man" and "carpet" in this instance?
Well, they are both words to describe the same thing. But that "thing" is just a stereotype of the XY's role in society. And it's a stereotype that changes significantly slower than society changes.

That is incorrect. In this instance "man" is being used for nought but to describe a person how has a particular biological nature. Stereotypical roles have nothing to do with it. This is where you are miscommunicating with Dan to some degree. Him being a "man" has nothing to do with anything but biological traits.

Of course, this is not to say that the present of people identifying as "male" in this manner can not encourage the usage of stereotypes, as it uses the same word as a category which does, but it renders attacks that Dan must be identifying with stereotyping category himself void.

Now you might argue that people should stop identifying as "male" completely to eliminate the usage of the stereotypical category, but the problem is that their is really no alternative way of effectively communicating their nature: "male" is the only term that really effectively communicates the nature of having the particular body in question, as gender stereotypes and sex are often equated. For someone who is desperate to be seen how they actually feel, and stop being constantly defined as something they are not, there is no alternative but to use a term that comes with the baggage of sharing a term with a category that defines stereotypical categories. Until this changes, the use of "male" and "female" in this context will continue and to make a case that people shouldn't is to reduce the capacity for them to actually be seen as they are buy others.
What I was wondering is, why don't transsexuals just identify as transsexuals?
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Another way is in how people describe their identity. I mean you identify as male, presumably on account of that being the terms used to identify those with the biological traits that you feel you have. What is the group with the biological traits you feel you have was called "carpet?" Would you still identify as "male?" No, you would most likely, assuming you used the same reason you did for male, identify as "carpet."

Well, they are both words to describe the same thing. But that "thing" is just a stereotype of the XY's role in society. And it's a stereotype that changes significantly slower than society changes.

That is incorrect. In this instance "man" is being used for nought but to describe a person how has a particular biological nature. Stereotypical roles have nothing to do with it. This is where you are miscommunicating with Dan to some degree. Him being a "man" has nothing to do with anything but biological traits.

Of course, this is not to say that the present of people identifying as "male" in this manner can not encourage the usage of stereotypes, as it uses the same word as a category which does, but it renders attacks that Dan must be identifying with stereotyping category himself void.

Now you might argue that people should stop identifying as "male" completely to eliminate the usage of the stereotypical category, but the problem is that their is really no alternative way of effectively communicating their nature: "male" is the only term that really effectively communicates the nature of having the particular body in question, as gender stereotypes and sex are often equated. For someone who is desperate to be seen how they actually feel, and stop being constantly defined as something they are not, there is no alternative but to use a term that comes with the baggage of sharing a term with a category that defines stereotypical categories. Until this changes, the use of "male" and "female" in this context will continue and to make a case that people shouldn't is to reduce the capacity for them to actually be seen as they are buy others.

Because that doesn't properly communicate their nature. "Transsexual" in a category that refers to someone who feels their body is the wrong sex. It doesn't identify what kind of biological traits they have and therefor fails to fulfil the point of their identification, to communicate that they do not have the biological traits they feel they do and what body they do feel they have.

Swashbuckling Conversationalist

10,400 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sweetrolls
...it only focuses on women's issues."
LOL truth.
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
But Willow isn't saying literally a "carpet". This is just a semantic analogy.

At least I don't think they are. My MALE identity aligns with my MALE sexual identity. It's about having a male form. There are social ties with that, humans being a social species.
I am going to attempt to address this post as well as your last one.

1a) And just as a hermaphrodite wants to be one sex, so does a transsexual.
1b) Understandably. So one would simply go with there sex -- whether natural or chosen.
1c) At the time of puberty, most people formulate an idea of whom they want to mate with. Before that, they are simply trained to do as their parents did.
2) uhmmm... yeah, so...?
3) Dunno what you're looking for in terms of an answer here.
1a) I fail to see the relevance.
1b) We do not have to obey our sex. A crucial aspect of transition is to live SOCIALLY as our new role BEFORE the sex change. Doctors require this. It is also most comfortable for us. What's with your hang up with sex, anyway? Why do people have to follow what their sex is?
1c) I don't think you know what cisgender privilege is. Also people generally conceptualize who THEY want to be in sex. As a cisgender person, you didn't even have to THINK about it. "God" gave you a d**k, LUCKY YOU. Well, I didn't get one, but I knew that's what I wanted to ******** with. As I said before, cisgender privilege-- the privilege to not have to think about these things at all.
2) You just said "within the realm of assigned sex" meaning cisgender people in relation to mating potential. Transsexuals are not "within that realm". Are you really losing track of the conversation here? I don't think you are part of a conversation anymore honestly.
3) At least you finally admit it.

Quote:
Dandrogyny

At least I don't think they are. My MALE identity aligns with my MALE sexual identity. It's about having a male form. There are social ties with that, humans being a social species.

But that's my point. If you were told from a young age, "This is how carpets act. This is what carpets do." You would believe yourself to be a carpet when you realized that you fit that mold.
I already explained that my identity has literally nothing to do with gender roles.
1a) -sigh- reread my replies.
1b) Because if you're gonna go tampering with, you better be goddamn sure you don't like it the way it already is.
1c) I think a great deal about what role to play in sex. I don't consider myself strictly cisgendered or anything else for that matter.
2) My point is that it's not what it's cut out to be. Sex is just for reproduction. It serves little other purpose. Yes it is used socially, but all of that social fluff boils down to "who do I want to get it on with?"

Oh it's about the male form. Great. Wonderful. So why the stress on gender? Why can't you just get a p***s and get your surgeries and all that? Why is there this whole dramatic thing about changing your identity? Most importantly, why does your identity even center around your sexual role?
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Because that doesn't properly communicate their nature. "Transsexual" in a category that refers to someone who feels their body is the wrong sex. It doesn't identify what kind of biological traits they have and therefor fails to fulfil the point of their identification, to communicate that they do not have the biological traits they feel they do and what body they do feel they have.
So why don't they just up and say "I have a p***s" or "I have a v****a"
Why bother with gender identity? Your mate could give a s**t less about that, and if they do care then it's a completely different conversation to be having.

Dapper Phantom

Sweetrolls
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls

I am going to attempt to address this post as well as your last one.

1a) And just as a hermaphrodite wants to be one sex, so does a transsexual.
1b) Understandably. So one would simply go with there sex -- whether natural or chosen.
1c) At the time of puberty, most people formulate an idea of whom they want to mate with. Before that, they are simply trained to do as their parents did.
2) uhmmm... yeah, so...?
3) Dunno what you're looking for in terms of an answer here.
1a) I fail to see the relevance.
1b) We do not have to obey our sex. A crucial aspect of transition is to live SOCIALLY as our new role BEFORE the sex change. Doctors require this. It is also most comfortable for us. What's with your hang up with sex, anyway? Why do people have to follow what their sex is?
1c) I don't think you know what cisgender privilege is. Also people generally conceptualize who THEY want to be in sex. As a cisgender person, you didn't even have to THINK about it. "God" gave you a d**k, LUCKY YOU. Well, I didn't get one, but I knew that's what I wanted to ******** with. As I said before, cisgender privilege-- the privilege to not have to think about these things at all.
2) You just said "within the realm of assigned sex" meaning cisgender people in relation to mating potential. Transsexuals are not "within that realm". Are you really losing track of the conversation here? I don't think you are part of a conversation anymore honestly.
3) At least you finally admit it.

Quote:
Dandrogyny

But that's my point. If you were told from a young age, "This is how carpets act. This is what carpets do." You would believe yourself to be a carpet when you realized that you fit that mold.
I already explained that my identity has literally nothing to do with gender roles.
1a) -sigh- reread my replies.
1b) Because if you're gonna go tampering with, you better be goddamn sure you don't like it the way it already is.
1c) I think a great deal about what role to play in sex. I don't consider myself strictly cisgendered or anything else for that matter.
2) My point is that it's not what it's cut out to be. Sex is just for reproduction. It serves little other purpose. Yes it is used socially, but all of that social fluff boils down to "who do I want to get it on with?"

Oh it's about the male form. Great. Wonderful. So why the stress on gender? Why can't you just get a p***s and get your surgeries and all that? Why is there this whole dramatic thing about changing your identity? Most importantly, why does your identity even center around your sexual role?
1a) Explain. I am not having a problem reading. That literally has nothing to do with the original points. I think using these bullets has really thrown you off. I did not plan on that.
1b) ...We no s**t I'm goddamn sure about it. What made you think that I, and other transsexuals, aren't absolutely sure?
1c) Right, but you think about it at your leisure. You not only have cisgender privilege, but male privilege. You can pretend your a*****e is a p***y but I don't really have something I can pretend is my d**k.
2) Oh, you're one of those. Well for many of us, sex is about fun, bonding, and love making. It's a social thing. I am not planning on getting knocked up any time soon, and I love to ********. You call it "social fluff" but since many of us do not have sex to reproduce it's about more than "mate selecting".

My male gender has everything to do with my male form. That still have NOTHING to do with gender roles. I'm pretty androgynous in terms of gender roles. I wear girl's pants most of the time. s**t like that. But I still pass as a male, because that is my GENDER.

Dapper Phantom

Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Many of us do.
But "transsexual" isn't a third gender for most of us.
I am a man.
I am ALSO a transsexual.

Dapper Phantom

Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Why bother with gender identity? Your mate could give a s**t less about that, and if they do care then it's a completely different conversation to be having.
Because then we get into huge arguments with people who want to say "You're not a man! You have a p***y!" And that relates back to causing us agony, also known as gender dysphoria. I hate being called a woman. I know a person calling me one doesn't make me one, but I hate it. It reminds me that God ripped my d**k off and I bleed out my taint every month. I like to forget.
My mate doesn't care about my identity, that is true. He said he wouldn't care if I switched to female, or nothing at all. But most people are not that open-minded. Also, my gender identity has nothing to do with my mate. When I chose to have a sex change, I was sure I'd never date again. Well you know what happens when you say that. You end up meeting somebody.
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Many of us do.
I am a man.
I am ALSO a transsexual.
Well you're sort of a man. But only cuz of the transition. You are mostly a transsexual. Sound familiar? That's cuz we're back at the beginning! Wanna go again?
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Because then we get into huge arguments with people who want to say "You're not a man! You have a p***y!" And that relates back to causing us agony, also known as gender dysphoria. I hate being called a woman. I know a person calling me one doesn't make me one, but I hate it. It reminds me that God ripped my d**k off and I bleed out my taint every month. I like to forget.
My mate doesn't care about my identity, that is true. He said he wouldn't care if I switched to female, or nothing at all. But most people are not that open-minded. Also, my gender identity has nothing to do with my mate. When I chose to have a sex change, I was sure I'd never date again. Well you know what happens when you say that. You end up meeting somebody.
I dunno, dude. I still think we should go with no-no bits. I'm a p***s-bearer. You... Eh, I ain't sure. I guess a p***s-bearer... maybe... nahhh, you're def a vag-bearer. I mean if it works.

Dapper Phantom

Sweetrolls
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Many of us do.
I am a man.
I am ALSO a transsexual.
Well you're sort of a man. But only cuz of the transition. You are mostly a transsexual. Sound familiar? That's cuz we're back at the beginning! Wanna go again?
No. This is retarded, lol.

You don't "believe" in gender. But gender IS real. and my GENDER is male.
I was FAAB. Female-assigned at birth.
My SEX is "FtM in transition" or "middlesex, leaning towards female".
Sex and gender exist on two entirely separate continuums. Here's an explanation for a child, since you're not very bright:

User Image

You keep conflating sex and gender and that makes you really damn stupid. Especially after how many times it's been explained to you.
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Several reasons, which will vary from person to person.

"I have a p***s"/ "I have a v****a" is not an identity category which people generally relate to people by. Furthermore, it is rather creepy to say in conversation. Unlike "male" / "female."

'Male"/"female" might be the only categories they have encountered and envisioned people by. They have no alternate conceptions which to describe them.

"Male/female" might be the only category might be they only one they feel reflects them on account of there "self" becoming attached to the term. Even if they knew of an alternate categories, they might not feel like that they of "them."

A matter of being recognised for how they feel. Most people understand the world through "male"/"female," so using those terms relates their feelings in a manner allows people to identify them easier.

Dapper Phantom

Sweetrolls
Dandrogyny
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

I dunno, dude. I still think we should go with no-no bits. I'm a p***s-bearer. You... Eh, I ain't sure. I guess a p***s-bearer... maybe... nahhh, you're def a vag-bearer. I mean if it works.
Remember when I said earlier
That would would say you were playing Devil's Advocate, say this was a "social experiment" or say you were trolling?

You're being an a*****e now. You don't know what I have and don't have. And you're trying to trigger my dysphoria now. What a little piece of s**t you are.

You're getting ready to do that.
Dandrogyny
No. This is retarded, lol.

You don't "believe" in gender. But gender IS real. and my GENDER is male.
I was FAAB. Female-assigned at birth.
My SEX is "FtM in transition" or "middlesex, leaning towards female".
Sex and gender exist on two entirely separate continuums. Here's an explanation for a child, since you're not very bright:

User Image

You keep conflating sex and gender and that makes you really damn stupid. Especially after how many times it's been explained to you.
I'm not, I swear. I just think gender is stupid and we should just go with sex. It would make everything so much simpler for both of us!

Where do I fit in this chart, anyway? I can't figure it out.
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness
Sweetrolls
The Willow Of Darkness

Several reasons, which will vary from person to person.

"I have a p***s"/ "I have a v****a" is not an identity category which people generally relate to people by. Furthermore, it is rather creepy to say in conversation. Unlike "male" / "female."

'Male"/"female" might be the only categories they have encountered and envisioned people by. They have no alternate conceptions which to describe them.

"Male/female" might be the only category might be they only one they feel reflects them on account of there "self" becoming attached to the term. Even if they knew of an alternate categories, they might not feel like that they of "them."

A matter of being recognised for how they feel. Most people understand the world through "male"/"female," so using those terms relates their feelings in a manner allows people to identify them easier.
Goddamnit society.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces