Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

People always act like fat acceptance is personally affecting them.
Like someone loving their body that is not the societal standard is actually damaging your life.

I love how some people assume fat acceptance is about making sure men love fat women. It's really not, it's more about making sure that fat people love themselves.
(And you know, women get s**t for saying that don't like short guys. At least I have.)
And I hate the whole "Some people are fat because a medical disorder" like you shouldn't need a tragic back story to be able to be consider a person and treated with respect.

Respecting a human and treating them as a human is not glorifying obesity.

You can be fat and healthy, and you can be fat and unhealthy, you can be skinny and healthy, and you can be skinny and unhealthy, but why the heck do you care about someone else's health?
"But my tax dollars crying "

And I only wished my tax dollars didn't go to help people that hate fatties.

And of course there's rude people out there who aren't about accepting all body types, that feel the need to put another down to raise themselves up, these aren't good people and they need to get off their high horses.

Still I don't think this should detract from the movement.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Senator Armstrong
Just don't ******** insult people for being fat. How ******** hard is that?

I agree. People shouldn't insult fat people. They should insult obese people. Fat people aren't the ones hogging the handicap space and roaming the super markets in scooters.
First off I completely agree that there is a nice irony about short males. It is always fun to bring that up to females.

Second for me it is about health. I think we have this whole fat acceptance movement because we not longer need to try to be healthy. If you have a heat attack, we can fix that to a degree. We can look at the body and recommend that you get a by pass so that you will not have a heart attack. I am reminded of all the erection pill commercials whenever I see threads like this. At the end of the commercial on for every pill they say "consult your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough for sexual activity". Well if you are fat your declining health may make you not healthy enough. There are plenty of other things. Am I going to be limited on my passions in life because your body is crushing itself and you need to be on pain meds all the time? Am I going to have to be embarrassed when you buy a motorized wheel chair because you are not longer healthy enough to walk? There are any number of health problems that come from being obese.

That is my argument when it comes to not dating the obese. I would also never date a female who was under-weight either... I saw one a couple years back and I still feel sick. There are plenty of health problems there as well. I want a healthy mate and everyone knows the difference between a "little extra" and "Fat". However, if people want to pretend it is okay hey that is fine as well. I just know why I choose to not find obese people mate worthy.
Senator Armstrong

Why not? emotion_awesome

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
We should all just chill and let people do what they want with their bodies. If you want to eat and get some chub, so be it. If you want to eat salads and be thinner, do it.

Let's all just chill and accept people for what they enjoy. emotion_yatta emotion_sweatdrop

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong

I agree. People shouldn't insult fat people. They should insult obese people. Fat people aren't the ones hogging the handicap space and roaming the super markets in scooters.

Says the guy with the anime sig.

Go shampoo your gross neck beard. Or shave it, that would be better.

Nice assumption fatty. You think just because people like anime they're all like gross obese social outcast that lives in their mom's basement? Hell if I was anywhere near that kind of nerd, I wouldn't be posting something along the lines that obese people needs to be insulted because it's a damn insult that people like them get government help while people with legitimate disorders struggles to get the government support they deserved.

Phantom

I see it as a movement that glorifies a preventable malady and yes- for the most part obesity is preventable.

A lot of people who think "it's no big deal" and whatnot don't like seeing how it negatively effects people and turn a blind eye, they want to be perceived as "accepting" when really they're helping to make people more sick.
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong

Nice assumption fatty. You think just because people like anime they're all like gross obese social outcast that lives in their mom's basement? Hell if I was anywhere near that kind of nerd, I wouldn't be posting something along the lines that obese people needs to be insulted because it's a damn insult that people like them get government help while people with legitimate disorders struggles to get the government support they deserved.

That was a lot of words to admit you're just an a*****e.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong

Sorry. I don't speak double deep fried twinky-nese. But seriously. Health is a serious issue. If you don't care about the excess pounds surrounding your heart; don't act shock about the people who are disgusted by you eating away our tax dollars.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
If someone is overweight but otherwise healthy, I have no issue with it. Sometimes women like that are beautiful in their own way, especially if their curves are in the right places. It's when someone is fat to the point that it can be detrimental to their overall health that I have problems.

My nana was pretty much an obese woman and it ended up being one of the things that led to her death a few years ago. I'm sure she'd still be alive now if she hadn't weighed somewhere around 400 lbs (I may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was). It's because of that that I don't like people who are obviously obese who say that they are OK and believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Never mind the strain it must put on their ankles and other bones from holding up all that weight.

Also, when I was younger I was borderline-underweight to the point where my mom threatened to put a tube down my throat and force-feed me that way, even though I never crossed that threshold. It was one of the side-effects of the ADHD medication I was on, but that didn't seem to matter, especially since I seemed to be otherwise healthy.

Kawaii Phantom

14,500 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I'm seriously am growing tired of the 'girls don't date short guys' s**t.
Not all girls like 6 feet tall men.
Some of us prefer guys we can stand next to and not look like dwarves.
Some tall women do like shorter guys.

On topic, yes, some fat girls are going to to be bitchy and annoying and skinny shaming skinny people for being skinny or muscular or whatever, but there are also skinny people who fat shame simply because someone is fat.
As someone who is fat, I try to be nice to everyone, unless of course they act like jerks.
But personally, I prefer if people would treat each other with respect. You talk to me, I talk to you, you talk to him/her/they/insert other genders here.
Simply be courteous to one another, don't give 'helpful advice' (which usually is nothing more than an insult wrapped in tips) and don't look at fat people like they're mud on your shoes when you don't even know them.
If someone skinny shames you, just ask them how they'd feel if you called them a whale or whatever. If they b***h, you get a free pass to shame.
There. Done deal.
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong

Sorry. I don't speak double deep fried twinky-nese. But seriously. Health is a serious issue. If you don't care about the excess pounds surrounding your heart; don't act shock about the people who are disgusted by you eating away our tax dollars.

Why do you keep insisting I'm fat?

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong
Hikarulawl
Senator Armstrong

Why do you keep insisting I'm fat?

Because you made the assumption that I am fat base on my interest in anime. Not to mention your stance on the subject.
AngelBiscuits
I'm gonna stop y'all right there. If people would keep their mouths shut about their opinions of a fat body, there would never have been a need for this. I think shaming of any kind is shitty and shouldn't be done, but the fact of the matter is skinny shaming came about because people think fat shaming is okay, and quite frankly, fat people are ******** sick of it.

"Don't just complain about it, do something about it!" "You can change it!" etc

Not always. For some people, being fat is just a part of their genetics. And no, it isn't always unhealthy. Just being fat raises the risks of some things, but if you look after yourself, you're going to be okay. I'm fat, and aside from some diseases I was born with, and one that led to my weight gain (it can't really be cured, only managed), I'm perfectly healthy. I eat right and exercise daily because simply put, it's good for me. It's good for anyone. If I have to be fat, I'm going to be ******** healthy.

But losing weight is just not something my body can do very well, even when I was trying to limit myself to under 300 calories a day (counting things like toothpaste and a vitamin, it was godawful) and trying to burn several times that, I was just getting really sick, and I wasn't losing weight at all. The only good thing that came out of it was that we found out I had insulin resistance, which is what made me gain weight and makes it so hard to lose it.

And to be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have to change your body by losing weight because SOMEONE ELSE is unhappy with it. Yes, I can change it, but a lot of people don't stop being assholes for me, so I don't see why I should have to lose weight for them.

Just because someone is fat, does not mean they are unhealthy and just because a person is skinny doesn't mean they are healthy. They are not the same thing. A fat person can be healthy just as much as a skinny person can be a junk food binging couch potato.

Obese also is not synonymous with fat. Obese is a medical condition where you become so fat and so unhealthy that you cannot function properly in your daily life. Just because someone is fat, does not mean they are obese.

Yes, skinny shaming sucks. And all you skinny people have probably been made fun of, and yes, you can hate your body. When I was skinny I was teased and people had some good jabs at me, and I hated my body. But you know what? Society didn't. Society as a whole didn't tell me my body was ugly and disgusting and something to be ashamed of.

Society put my skinny, 108lbs frame on a pedestal because it was the "ideal" body type. As a skinny person, when you're shamed, you can go home at the end of the day knowing your body is accepted as the norm. Fat people don't get that. They're made fun of all day, and then have to go home while society treats you like the plague.

No one's body type should be shamed, but "skinny shaming" was born out of fat shaming and a need to say "I'm still beautiful". Skinny shaming is a really shitty way to go about it, and I don't condone it because being shamed and made fun of feels like s**t, regardless of what it is, but there are reasons for it and they can't be ignored.

The true body positivity movement doesn't promote unhealthy lifestyles simply by saying "being fat is okay". "Being fat is okay" is NOT the same thing as "being unhealthy and eating yourself to death and never moving is okay". It's not the same thing.

The true body positivity movement is about loving yourself regardless of the skin you're in, promoting taking care of yourself and good self-esteem. It's about teaching people to love themselves as they are and teaching others to not be so goddamn ignorant and shitty and ending unrealistic body standards, and fatphobia (which yes, is very much a thing, as this thread is only evidence of).

But as with anything, some people get out of hand and miss the ******** point.
"But muh genetics!" is all is see here. Fat people could loose the weight and not be fat ******** it they weren't so ******** lazy. It's disgusting, and being fat is NOT okay. Fat lards are a strain on the healthcare system, and a general waste of space. The FA movement needs to ******** DIE. All fat people do is make excuses for why they can't loose weight and it ALWAYS boils down to "Muh Juhnetics!" and "Muh condishuns!". If you don't eat like a ham planet, you won't become one. Obese is a weight class. A BMI over 30 is obese, and the ONLY exception is for those who are swole. The conditions in which someone who is fat actually has a reason, are very rare. Not every fat ******** is a special snowflake. If you say that you only ate 300 Kcals and didn't lose anything, you are ******** LYING. That's basic biology. Calories in, calories out. It's that ******** simple.

People who are fat should be insulted, and the fact that many people have stopped is the reason why 2/3 of Americans are overweight. And yes, Type 2 diabetes is basically a punishment for being a fat ********. Most medical problems you experience as a buttergolem would be solved if you stopped eating like a whale.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff